• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Swivel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCarp

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up this little guy at a good price. 15" bbl with a steel-lined .75 caliber bore. Looks like a South Bend barrel, but there are no markings. It will be swivel-mounted on my boat. A friend is making the yoke and tiller for it:

Finished some implements for it today. Next up, a linstock!

NEAT little gun. - Wishing I could find one at a price that is somewhere less than "highway robbery" priced, as all of the ones around here (that I've found anyway) are GROSSLY over-priced.

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
NEAT little gun. - Wishing I could find one at a price that is somewhere less than "highway robbery" priced, as all of the ones around here (that I've found anyway) are GROSSLY over-priced.

yours, satx

What I did was buy a barrel off of ebay, then I had a freind fabricate the yoke and tiller. My swivel cannon is 24" long with a tiller making it 3 foot in length. It's bore is 1". I fire a 1oz. charge of cannon grade powder. I did mine last year in July and August. If I remember right I have only about 1thousand bucks in my gun. This incleds the cse to carry it, the ammo chest, all the accroutrements, and the white oak stand. Instead of a fuse I bought and mounted a slap hammer in the barrel that uses musket caps. I have used it at 3 civil war events. The hardest part was finding all the documentation of use for a swivel gun in the civil war. Mine being a land based unit instead of mounted on a boat.
Now I ust bought another barrel and am waiting for it's delivery. You just have to find the bargains and not get the sale barn sillies. This latest barrel cost me 165 bucks. It's a 1" bore also
[/quote]

Thats where I find mine. Small cannons are tuff to find out there in stores and pawn shops. I hope to use mine at a few mt.man, voyager events this year or next.

The project is complete! The swivel yoke mounts into a wooden stanchion the fits into the boat's mast step (so, will only shoot it off when under oars). Ready for 18th C. events!

satx78247 said:
That hull is just DOWNRIGHT PURTY.
(Did you build/restore it?)

yours, satx

The design is a "Catspaw dinghy." A number of traditional boatshops build them, as well as individuals more talented than me! Mine was built here: http://www.carpentersboatshop.org/index.html

It's lapstrake cedar planking on oak ribs, and carries a sprit-sail rig:

Last edited by a moderator:
NIFTY.
(I build wooden boats from time to time, though NOT anything that "fancy".)

Note: My current project is the ONLY surviving glass hull that YELLOW JACKET of Denison, TX ever built. - It's one of eight that were handmade "off the line" in late 1957 & early 1958. - It will be powered with a 1958 SUPER QUIET RDS-20.

yours, satx

Back