• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Swede in NC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the Forum. I would recommend you hold in your hands a Hawken
style Muzzleloading Rifle. Aim it in a safe direction and feel the gun become you.
The Hawken is light, fast and a human-friendly fit. As for deer or hog hunting
you could not ask for more. It is a disarming gun when seen in use by you by
farmers and landowners who grant hunting permission. It sparks curiosity and
admiration by onlookers. The Hawken is both beautiful and deadly. CVA has
a beautiful Hawken with black chrome, and Thompson has one. I have an
Investarms carbine Hawkin style that is split second on target and a true
Deerslayer. Take pride in knowing that the History and tradition of these guns
was the history of immigrants from all over the world. In some states they allow
scopes for those with compromised eyesight. Before you fall for an inline do
yourself a favor and shoulder-up a Hawken Style Muzzleloader. Feel that gun,
you must actually experience it-- the anatomic fit- then you can make an informed choice.

That's what I thought, those are considered "unmentionables here". :) As for picking up a traditional muzzleloader, members are always posting their firearms for sale here in the For Sale section. Yes there are some that will run into the thousands of dollars but there are typically many more that run in the $300 - $600 range, usually "Hawken" style reproductions in percussion as well as cap and ball revolvers. Check out those sales.

I did look into revolvers, and I did look into buying a build your own kit as well.

I did look into revolvers, and I did look into buying a build your own kit as well.
Be careful of some revolver kits, in some the frame is NOT case hardened and unless you have the facilities to do it it would pretty much make it a somewhat expensive wall hanger.

Welcome! A traditional.50 muzzeloader is definitely enough gun for anything you want to kill where you are located. They are a lot of fun and about as accurate as the crappy inline muzzeloaders that big box stores sell. Get something that looks good, feels good and tailor a load that is accurate. You'll have a lot of fun.

Be careful of some revolver kits, in some the frame is NOT case hardened and unless you have the facilities to do it it would pretty much make it a somewhat expensive wall hanger.
I was not clear, I ment production replica revolvers and rifle kits.

Welcome! A traditional.50 muzzeloader is definitely enough gun for anything you want to kill where you are located. They are a lot of fun and about as accurate as the crappy inline muzzeloaders that big box stores sell. Get something that looks good, feels good and tailor a load that is accurate. You'll have a lot of fun.
I dont doubt it. I am interested in the long range target shooting as well.

Howdy from the Piney woods of East Texas !
When you can share photos and stories about that "old sort of muzzleloader"
and more stories about your Grandfather too , We all like that stuff !!

I do have a old percussion sorta muzzleloader back in the home country (still own a place there) that I inherited from my grandfather.
As a short story he was actually American, born in a sod house in Kansas by Swedish homesteaders in the late 1800s.
He had his first revolver at age 5 which he aquired by trading with Sears and gaining credits by selling them furs. It took almost 3 years before his mother found his gun and was to take it away from him when his older brother saved the day by telling the truth - C'mon mom, he had it for 3 years......
But the coolest thing ever was that all the kids, well the boys and the neighbour boys were taugth shooting by non other then William Fredrick Cody, more commonly known as Buffalo Bill Cody. Apperantly he stayed for a longer period of time at the neighbours that was his sister or other close relative.

Howdy from the Piney woods of East Texas !
When you can share photos and stories about that "old sort of muzzleloader"
and more stories about your Grandfather too , We all like that stuff !!

I'll defiantly do that. Perhaps in another thread.

I dont doubt it. I am interested in the long range target shooting as well.

Perhaps a Whitworth rifle is something that may interest you. They are not cheap but for those seeking target accuracy and range they would seem a good option. There is a fellow on here who is pretty knowledgeable on them, goes by the name of "Whitworth" and could probably give you some good info.

Meanwhile:

Lot of other long range traditional rifles out there as well. You have to remember that back when percussion was king, long range shooting, of 1000 yards and beyond, was a popular pastime, and they are every bit as accurate as the modern inlines while being historically correct and put you where those that came before us were..

Welcome from central NC. We have a muzzleloading club south of Raleigh. Lafayette Longrifles (LLR). We're on Facebook and the internet. You may want to reach out to Buck Buchanan, his info is… D. Buck Stopshere

Buck can tell you just about anything you want to know for muzzleloading guns, accoutrements and places to shoot. Also, you can google search for muzzleloading clubs in NC. We have a number of LLR members who live near you. We are also a living history club, with 18th century dress and camping being an option for anyone. You can camp right on the property during events. Our next long weekend is the Spring Frolic (May 21-23, 2021), but we have shoots on the last Sunday of most months, as well.

New to Muzzle loading shooting/hunting.
Am 46, originally Swedish, world traveler, ham and firearm enthusiast.
Been target shooting as a pre-teen kid. Been a sniper in the Swedish army reserves/home guard using the AK4b & PSG90 with 7.62 rounds.
Its just something with black powder that has a coolness factor.

Work with Quality Assurance, Lean manufacturing, Continuous Improvement.

Hunting style is more of animal conservation and meat than trophy hunting.

I am on this forum to learn. both about handgun and rifle shooting.
Got American Gun Craft Desperado and leaning towards CVA or Traditions .50 rifle.
This has nothing to do with black powder and I am sorry but I have to say it. "The 6.5 Swede is the best cartridge in the world" Welcome to our group. There are a whole bunch of us that just wait to help others with our knowledge. Of course, our knowledge differs just a bit and your fun is trying out which suits you the best. I am 40+ years in Black Powder and I am still learning from the people in this group. Welcome and enjoy.

Welcome from East Anglia- UK. I, too, have Swedish ancestry! My father's ancestors came from Skane sometime around 850AD and settled in SE Ireland. Hence the family name - Foley - it means plunderer or raider in Old Irish and around 75% of my genes are from Southern Scandinavia.

I, too, have been shooting and writing about Whitworth rifles since about 1986. I'm sure that between us, Whitworth and I can answer most of your questions.

1612803282451.png

New to Muzzle loading shooting/hunting.
Am 46, originally Swedish, world traveler, ham and firearm enthusiast.
Been target shooting as a pre-teen kid. Been a sniper in the Swedish army reserves/home guard using the AK4b & PSG90 with 7.62 rounds.
Its just something with black powder that has a coolness factor.

Work with Quality Assurance, Lean manufacturing, Continuous Improvement.

Hunting style is more of animal conservation and meat than trophy hunting.

I am on this forum to learn. both about handgun and rifle shooting.
Got American Gun Craft Desperado and leaning towards CVA or Traditions .50 rifle.
Welcome I am new to black powder, but this is the place to learn.

Back