• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New stain idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I bet someone has already done this.
I used about 1/2 oz. Of LMF nut brown and added 10 drops of red food coloring.I know coloring goes along way in foods but mixed with stain it c takes a bit I can't wait to put the permalyn on it and see what it's like after it's drawn back some.Looks good now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230321_095519.jpg
    IMG_20230321_095519.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230321_095453.jpg
    IMG_20230321_095453.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jim Kibker was right. I wiped the stock down with denatured alcohol and a lot came out. It's no longer doing that now. I'm sure it will lose some of the red when the permalyn goes on but I think it's going to look great. Debating on a diluted coat of nut brown first then the oil.

Last edited:
Uh oh, I put a few drops of liquid RIT into some honey maple to darken. How much damage did I do? Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread
I don't know, I haven't tested that. In theory, if the stained wood comes into contact with metals it could result in an increase in corrosion of the metal. Depending on what "honey maple" base stain you used, the finish you used, whether or not you sealed the wood under the metal, etc, it may or may not be an issue.

Couldn't you just seal the wood now. Seal it then seal it.Looks like to me if you seal it it can't hurt the metal and I'm sure just the fumes would be gone very fast.

Experimentation is a good thing, but we have so many dyes specific for our hobby, made to traditional specs, and marketed by muzzle-loading people, that I'd personally go with something like that rather than try food-stuffs, etc. No offence, I admire people that try 'new stuff'!

No offense taken. I like a little red hue and thought why not. If it works ok if not ok.Looks like it will wind up with aboub 60%
facing out and leave about 40%. That would be great but if the red just goes away that's ok. After I did thus I read where Homer Dangler has a srain that gives red hues in it.

Last edited:
You might try Fiblings mahogany leather dye, it is a deep red, diluted with alcohol, it is just red. I would definitely do a test patch first.

I use it on bows and arrows, it doesn't fade over time.

Fiblings mahogany leather dye will certainly fade over time.

Use a proper high quality aniline dye intended for woodworking. Often these are metal-complex compositions that are significantly more light fast than others. Transtint are good and Laurel Mountain Forge products seem okay as well.

Jim

It's good that you are experimenting and trying new things. Most experiments fail, but some don't, and become the "new thing". That's how civilization advances.

The most apocryphal quote related to that is attributed to Charled H Duell, who was head of the US Patent office in 1899;

"Everything that CAN be invented, HAS been invented." (emphasis added)

Back