• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Source for Lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My bucket of spent lead that I dug out of the berms at the range was getting low. I wanted to find a place to purchase some. A few years back, I found a large ingot of plumbers lead at a mom and pop hardware store, but neither they, nor anyone else in town carried any more. I called a metal recycling business not far from where I work and they said they have soft lead for .50 cents a pound. I went there and hit the jackpot. I never seen so much soft lead consolidated in one giant bin, before. There were even lyman ingots that someone didn't want anymore. I spent $5.00 and took home 10 pounds. I shoot only round balls and this lead seems to work fine. Is this a good price?

If all you're shooting is PRB, lead hardness isn't quite the issue it is with minies. At $.50/lb, you should load up the back with as much as your wallet/car can stand. At the local yard I go to, they sell it at spot and that's generally in the $1/lb range.

If you have a strong back the place to go is the local range. I'm a cheap SOB so I built a sifter box with some 1/4" wire cloth in it and with a lil' folding shovel now have approx 400lbs of range lead after 4 early morning trips to the public range. I learnt' to not fill a plastic cat litter bucket to the top with lead and expect to pick it up to tote it back to the truck on day one. LOL!!

Back