New Source for Lead

Discussion in 'General Muzzleloading' started by Enfield1, Dec 9, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 9, 2019 #1

Enfield1

Enfield1

Enfield1

40 Cal.

My bucket of spent lead that I dug out of the berms at the range was getting low. I wanted to find a place to purchase some. A few years back, I found a large ingot of plumbers lead at a mom and pop hardware store, but neither they, nor anyone else in town carried any more. I called a metal recycling business not far from where I work and they said they have soft lead for .50 cents a pound. I went there and hit the jackpot. I never seen so much soft lead consolidated in one giant bin, before. There were even lyman ingots that someone didn't want anymore. I spent $5.00 and took home 10 pounds. I shoot only round balls and this lead seems to work fine. Is this a good price?

Britsmoothy likes this.
  2. Dec 9, 2019 #2

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

That's a good price. Many recyclers are prohibited from reselling lead. Better get some more. Use your thumbnail to scratch the lead to get an indication the softness.

3. Dec 9, 2019 #3

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

69 Cal.

At .50 cents a pound I would have spent $100.00 and took home 200 pounds.

Britsmoothy likes this.
  4. Dec 9, 2019 #4

dave951

dave951

dave951

40 cal - b

If all you're shooting is PRB, lead hardness isn't quite the issue it is with minies. At $.50/lb, you should load up the back with as much as your wallet/car can stand. At the local yard I go to, they sell it at spot and that's generally in the $1/lb range.

5. Dec 9, 2019 #5

Whiterabbit

Whiterabbit

Whiterabbit

32 Cal

If you have a strong back the place to go is the local range. I'm a cheap SOB so I built a sifter box with some 1/4" wire cloth in it and with a lil' folding shovel now have approx 400lbs of range lead after 4 early morning trips to the public range. I learnt' to not fill a plastic cat litter bucket to the top with lead and expect to pick it up to tote it back to the truck on day one. LOL!!

6. Dec 9, 2019 #6

hanshi

hanshi

hanshi

Cannon

Not only a great deal but also a steal!

Draft saved Draft deleted