• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Smoothbore Owner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly Adams

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well... I really stepped in it today. Picked up a fine trade gun. It seems to be of no particular style, though further input regarding that is appreciated and welcome. Looks to favor towards English, but has a flat-topped comb and a Germanic lock. I was unable to source some .62 roundballs, but I did shoot it with 7 1/2 shot and 60 grains of powder. Shot really well! Lock time was very fast and it points naturally. Here are some pictures of it.

Here is a before and after photo of the large Siler lock. Packed with rust/tallow it looks like. Cleaned up okay though and is very slick.

Looks like a nice shooter. The carving at the end of the barrel tang is a real nice touch. Glad to see the lock cleaned up so well. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Congratulations! It looks like something that I'm needing. :hmm: The frizzen looks like it was seldom fired.

How long is the barrel?

Thank you all kindly, gents! I do appreciate it.

The barrel looks to be 36", but I will measure and confirm later if it is a different length.

Brit, yessir, my first smoothbore!

Looking at it, there is zero evidence of wear anywhere on the gun, other than a couple scratches on the frizzen, and those very likely could have just been from people testing the spark in the gun shop. The only real scratches were the ones I added from shooting it before I took the picture!

The closer I look at the gun, the more I am impressed with the build quality. The builder (makers mark still not found) must have been a real perfectionist! The carving behind the tang is tasteful and crisp, the inletting is tight and level, the wood to metal fit is first rate, every screw slot is indexed perfectly, the gun has perfect symmetry with regards to stock profile and the finish is excellent. The only screw slot that was not indexed was one of the lock bolts, as indexing it made it protrude too far and contact the hammer. I will remedy that though.

There is a rendezvous tomorrow that I will be taking it to. I will keep you posted on how it, and I do!

Very nice find. Congratulations! You will love the versatility of your smoothie. :thumbsup:

Awesome man. May it bring you years of happiness. And some rabbits and bushytails for dinner!

That is quite a nice gun. It certainly does look first rate. I think you're going to have a lot of fun.

Thanks guys!

I really stretched the gun's legs today. Took it to a rondy and started on the trail. I really did not expect to hit a whole lot of anything, being that the targets were quite far (many were over 100 yards away), but as I became more familiar with the gun, my groupings became smaller, and when a target within reasonable range was in my line of fire, I was usually able to hit it. I was able to manage hitting a chain at 25 yards, and a 3" square at about 30, and a couple other similar targets. The course was 28 targets long and the gun had almost zero issues. The worst of which was needing to flip my flint on the second to last target. Ignition was nearly instant the whole time. Very pleased, gents!

Here is a picture of some of the far targets:

Nice looking new toy! :thumbsup: Just keep playing with it, they'll surprise you! :wink:

Latest posts

Back