• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New shotgun - what can you tell me about it's performance from this photo ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Too much blow back at the hammer ?

BOOM shotgun.jpg

You are gonna want to put a long sleeved shirt on when you shoot the left barrel. Those little sparks emanating from the nipple will sting your left forearm. Everything looks good to me. A square load is never too much powder. Shotguns always belch fire!!

The powder fouling will continue to "glow" for a fraction of a second after it has burned. Any one who has shot after dark can see this. So you can't tell if you are using too much powder just by looking.Also the gases produced by the powder burning will be hot enough to glow.

As long as the hammer isn't being blown back to half-cock after the shot, you are good. Blowing back to half-cock sounds good as it removes a step in reloading the gun (😄) but it would indicate a burned out nipple (or one with too big a hole to start with) letting too much gas out the back.

There are several reasons for sparks from the nipple
1 The nipple nose is too shallow. or on an original the nose skirt is worn.
2 The nose is not striking the nipple in the centre
3 A common fault is the mainspring is too weak allowing the hammer to blow back to half cock or to large the nipple hole
4 If the nipple is too large or small for the type of cap , the cap should fit snug on the nipple and not loose or to small to stretch to cap skirt
Feltwad

Looks good to me. Normally you will never see the sparks from the caps in the daylight if you are concentrating on the target.
I have two 12 Gauge doubles and I use 80grn 2F, over powder card, wad, over wad card, and my shot measure on the end of a shot bag indicates 1 1/4 oz. and a over shot card. I have used my 50 grn antler powder measure full of shot in a pinch. Not sure how much that is.
I had a friend in Missouri that only shoots muzzleloader shotguns help me with my load. He help me pattern them and found without the over powder card/wad /over wad card I was getting donut patterns using no card over my wad. And I was shooting 90 grains of 2F.
Looks like you are on track if you are getting a good pattern. We patterned both of my 12's at 25 yards since they are cylinder bore.
Good form during the shot!
Good luck with your shotgun hunting or shooting.

Mike

There are several reasons for sparks from the nipple
1 The nipple nose is too shallow. or on an original the nose skirt is worn.
2 The nose is not striking the nipple in the centre
3 A common fault is the mainspring is too weak allowing the hammer to blow back to half cock or to large the nipple hole
4 If the nipple is too large or small for the type of cap , the cap should fit snug on the nipple and not loose or to small to stretch to cap skirt
Feltwad
Mistake No 1 should read hammer nose is too shallow
Feltwad

Looks like if you miss the clay pidgin with your shot you might still melt them with your flame!! 😁. Greg

You are gonna want to put a long sleeved shirt on when you shoot the left barrel. Those little sparks emanating from the nipple will sting your left forearm. Everything looks good to me. A square load is never too much powder. Shotguns always belch fire!!
By all neans put on a long sleeve shirt(recommended) but NOT synthetic as the sparks will go straight thru' and leave a nasty big hole!! I have a long sleeve Synthetic Skeet jacket that's full of holes.. OLD DOG..

Back