• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Shop Layout

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44-henry

45 Cal.
Reaction score
There have been a few posts on building new shop spaces lately on this, and a few other forums that I visit, so I thought I would show how I go about setting up a new space.

A basement renovation last summer provided me with a new shop space to replace my old cramped corners in a small spare bedroom. My new area is about 27' x 12'. Not huge, but definitely a step up from my previous quarters. One challenge that I now have is finding a way to fit the equipment that I have accumulated over the years, much of which was in storage because of space issues.

Since I like to plan everything before plunging in, I used SketchUp software to layout the new space. Most of the equipment that I had was already available in their free warehouse which has 3D CAD blocks, so about all I had to do was make some slight modifications to match the size of my machines/cabinets. In any event, it is much easier to visualize where things need to go and decide if I have enough room to work. Also makes it easy deciding where to run ceiling outlets and place lighting.

Incidentally, this is the same approach I used when remodeling the rest of the basement. Made it a lot easier to get approval from my wife before proceeding and really cut down the amount of work that needed to be changed later on.

homeshopplan1.jpg

homeshopplan2.jpg

homeshopplan3.jpg

Interesting layout! Only thing you left out was the pin-up calendar! :wink: Oh yeah, you did say "get it past the wife"! :haha: :thumbsup:

I didn't model it in for all the tools, but the band saw and jointer both are on moveable bases so they can be rolled out when needed. The calendar would not make it past my wife :idunno:

No table saw. Interesting. Obviously not a general-purpose shop then. The work bench where you sit will get the majority of your time, as, there just isn't that much need for many machines in LR building.

Hi Alex,
Very nice tool and the shop looks good. However, I would urge you to increase bench space as much as you can. Also, how will it be lit?

dave

I have a table saw and some other stationary equipment, but that stays in my garage, too much dust to deal with for a basement shop. The jointer and bandsaw are only used occasionally for preparing stock blanks so the dust isn't too bad from either of them.

I like doing metal work, so the milling machine and lathe come in handy for that. I do a lot of research on bench top machine tools in education so the bench top machines you see are basically there for that purpose and the metal desk makes an ideal platform for them, when not being used for that it holds my reloading press and engraving tools.

Dave Person said:
Hi Alex,
Very nice tool and the shop looks good. However, I would urge you to increase bench space as much as you can. Also, how will it be lit?

dave

Unfortunately I am pretty much out of space for additonal benches the way I have the area defined. The two benches I have in the picture were in my older shop and suited my needs, plus, the metal desk is going to be in the new area. One bench is primarily setup for gunstock work with my versa vise on one end and a 4" machinists vise on the other. The second bench has a heavier Wilton vise. I may switch to a floor drill press I have in storage if there is enough room and get rid of the bench top drill that I currently have (though it is a very heavy duty bench drill).

I have several other smaller machines that I did not place in the model at this point, bench grinder, belt grinder, etc. I also have an anvil that I will probably find a spot for which is useful for cold work.

As for lighting, I will place several florescent ceiling fixtures and than use flexible spot lighting for work on the machines and benches.

Also, I do have an area in my garage that I can do hot work, heat treatment, and welding when need be. I just don't like to do that sort of work in the basement because of fumes and the fire hazard.

I had a sports illustrated calendar once.....

:shocked2: :(
Then it was gone...... :surrender:

Space......need more......space.....
Marc

kaintuck said:
I had a sports illustrated calendar once.....
:shocked2: :(
Then it was gone...... :surrender:
Marc
Which is why I said 'pin-up"....Marilyn isn't as threatening as Tiffany! :wink: :rotf:

Nice looking layout, I could get by well in that shop.

Thank for the SketchUp software idea. I can see where that could be a good tool.
Enjoy your new shop.

William Alexander

Latest posts

Back