• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Shinto Rasp Owner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboyb

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Wow....just wow. Been sceptical and got an Amazon gift card for bday so took the plunge. I feel dumb for waiting so long. Had a scrap piece of walnut burl laying around and this beast can eat. For anyone still holding out....best $22 I've ever spent. For those that use them....how well do they hold up over time?

Ordered a Shinto directly from Japan off of a popular online auction site, then the Covid-19 pandemic hit here in America....still waiting on it to arrive. I have contacted the seller and auction site, we agreed wait a few more weeks in hopes it will show up. I'm glad you like your Shinto...makes me want mine even more.

I have several Nicholson files and continue to purchase them as I find them at garage sales and flea markets.

My Shinto rasp is awesome and a joy to use. I’ve only ever used the cheap shoe rasps before. This Shinto is a night and day difference from those.

A while back Woodcraft had Iwasakis on sale. I bought several different sizes. I have to wear gloves with them. They will cut you before you feel it. I can even drawfile the wood. I want to try a Shinto later.

Wow....just wow. Been sceptical and got an Amazon gift card for bday so took the plunge. I feel dumb for waiting so long. Had a scrap piece of walnut burl laying around and this beast can eat. For anyone still holding out....best $22 I've ever spent. For those that use them....how well do they hold up over time?
Yeah, aren't those great! One of my gun building buddies urged me to get one some years ago. He advised me however to take it easy, because those things sure can remove a lot of wood in short order. I used one on both of my building projects.

How does it hold up? I should think it would last until you go to the old people's home.

Do you have any photos of the rasp or marking on the tang? I spend a lot of money on pattern makers rasps and some from Japan for making bows. Never heard of the Shinto.

Mike

12493984-B7F4-43D4-9F12-4863A559685F.jpeg

I agree.....does not necessarily leave as smooth a surface as they advertise but removes material quick. Maple disappears like butter so I'm going to have to learn to be careful

Fantastic tool !!! Had one for years, done 6 or 7 rifles with it. Stays sharp if you stay away from barrels and brass.

It has rendered most of my rasps and planes semi-retired

Just last week I was considering buying a spare in case they get the covids and disappear...

I didn’t know they made a shorter one, maybe I’ll look for it

Last edited:
I wish they made a mini version....like 1/4"-1/2" wide. I can think of tons of things a mini would make life easier

Back