New section under general muzzle loading?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by SacramentoJohnson, Dec 25, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 25, 2018 #1

SacramentoJohnson

SacramentoJohnson

SacramentoJohnson

36 Cal.

Greetings Mr. Moderator,
    I was wondering if a new section could be put under General muzzleloading. I think it might be a good place to put a general clothing and gear section for discussions regarding clothing/gear which is not totally re-enactor/period correct (and there does seem to be alot of that at the little western rondys I have attended; there are a large number of traditional style muzzle loaders who don't strive to be 100% period correct).
    Putting non period correct gear/clothing posts under the re-enactor heading seems to draw alot of negative comments. (I just got through reading the blanket vest thread.)This would allow people who aren't totally into period correct, but like to use fairly traditional muzzleloading gear that would be acceptable at a local fairly easy going match, to post questions etc. without fear of being castigated. Just a suggestion!

Van1955 and Brokennock like this.
  2. Dec 25, 2018 #2

necchi

necchi

necchi

Cannon MLF Supporter

Wow, decent idea but that would be a tough one wouldn't it.
    The forum is based as prior to 1865. So it already allows a lot of leeway.
    Yet in the re-enactment community guy's strive for a specific time period.
    I agree with you that many of today's "Rendezvous" are not specific re-enactments and many of our members can't grasp that concept.
    But only because they came here to be in a period specific forum,, not one that blends everything under the sun
    I enjoy the several relaxed encampments I go to today, but I can after all these years still put on a "specific" presentation if required.
    I don't think we as a "traditional community forum" can or should support some of the things I see at even those relaxed camps as part of this forum.
    We all do (or should) remember our humble beginnings when we didn't have proper gear,, and most of us forgive "new to rendezvous" folks these days as they start and I at least offer some of my gear to use for an event to help them along.
    We like to see improvement or at least attempts to improve as they continue.

But a Coleman lantern hissing away inside a tent with it's massive brightness, flashlights, tennis shoes, bluejeans with a cellphone in the pocket or bottled water/soda cans all over the place can wreck it,, fast.
    I do like guitars and banjos though,, and "Rocky Top" is a fun song to sing along with.

So if a broader section were started,, where or what would define the limit?

Not trying to dog ya,, can you expand/explain your idea a bit more? So we could fit it in?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    SmokepoleSam likes this.
  3. Dec 25, 2018 #3

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

Can you give ten examples of "general clothing and gear" and tell us why they are appropriate to this forum but wouldn't fit in some other sub category?

4. Dec 26, 2018 #4

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Decent idea, but does need refinement, some parameters would need to be developed. The "blanket vest" thread is the first thing I thought of when I read your idea, even before you brought it up.

Maybe don't put it under "general muzzleloading" and start a new section. "Non-Specific Period, old timey skills and bushcraft" section. Some of the knives posted recently, as well as many other homemade non muzzleloading firearm related goods might fit better there than in existing categories.

Those of us here mostly for historical accuracy and knowledge can skip those sections (except maybe when bored and having read our usual threads), and those who don't give a hoot and holler about exact period specific historical correctness, can go straight to these sections.

Some boundaries might include but not be limited to, no materials used for crafts or skills that were unavailable within the overall time period of this forum, no aluminum, modern stainless steel, polyester fleece, micarta.

Just kinda thinking out load so to speak to kind of get the ball and thought process rolling.

innocent bystander likes this.
  5. Dec 26, 2018 #5

appalichian hunter

appalichian hunter

appalichian hunter

40 cal - b

Seems to me since the new change over programming things have been relaxed a bit, I have noticed some things such as mentioned knives in particular, seem to a bit relaxed in discussions and a few pictures. I also shoot BP cartridge but do not see it mentioned here and do not expect it to be, even though there were BPC weapons during the civil war. I will take my hat off to Claude seemed he kept a tight reign on things.

6. Dec 27, 2018 #6

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Thank you. :)

7. Dec 28, 2018 #7

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

I fear your proposition would lead to further erosion of what we are trying to do. One cannot have a "kinda' correct" section, as there really isn't such a thing - either it is or it isn't. The effort required to do it right is the same (or less) effort required to do it kinda' right - so why not do it right? The only real difference that occasionally can be an issue is cost, but even cost is not an insurmountable issue.

What seems to be the base issue is that people take criticism (the word used in the classical sense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism) in any form as a personal attack on them. And rather than using the information as a tool to learn, they lash out...

This is a very bad idea, in my view.

Brokennock, Coot and Juice Jaws like this.
  8. Dec 28, 2018 #8

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Seriously? This forum is pre 1865, this isn't a typical forum were fantasy reigns and speculation is word. IMO if the historically correct nature of the site becomes a bother to members leave. Not trying to sound harsh but that's reality. I for one agree with appalichian hunter, when Mr. Mathis was running the show allot of the rubbish going on here would have been stopped promptly.

Black Hand is also dead right as well on the criticism aspect of things.

Coot likes this.
  9. Dec 28, 2018 #9

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Guys, I don't think watering down what this forum is works. And consensus is that it is not wanted, so let's retire this conversation.

10. Dec 29, 2018 #10

SacramentoJohnson

SacramentoJohnson

SacramentoJohnson

36 Cal.

Not everything on this forum is "pre-1865", but I will withdraw my suggestion.

11. Dec 29, 2018 #11

necchi

necchi

necchi

Cannon MLF Supporter

Your right.
    It get's tough, but as I said earlier we can cut a little slack to new folks or those that put in effort to change things around a bit as they share.
    But if they go looking for cudo's simply because they used a bench grinder to shape and sharpen the edge of a lawnmower blade,, then used cyanoacrylate to fix old boot leather to the handle, wrap it with artificial sinew, and then call it olde timey because it's hand made(?),
    ,, it might not pass inspection. (shrug icon)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  12. Dec 29, 2018 #12

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

But it should be...

13. Dec 29, 2018 #13

Van1955

Van1955

Van1955

32 Cal.

Oklahoma in winter, Adirondacks in summer
    Don't you think you're being a little premature? 4 replies and that's a consensus ? Why not leave the thread open?

14. Dec 29, 2018 #14

Angie

Angie

Angie

You posted, it's open.

15. Dec 29, 2018 #15

Van1955

Van1955

Van1955

32 Cal.

Oklahoma in winter, Adirondacks in summer
    My mistake, but what did you mean by "retire"?

16. Dec 29, 2018 #16

Angie

Angie

Angie

Sorry for being a smarty pants this afternoon. I do think I meant to close it, but it's open.

Let's update my post to say, I'm not doing it now. And I am also committed to keeping this forum as much as Claude had it. When one joins they need to understand the membership is committed to 1865 and older. I'd say that most that are in favor are fairly recent members and those that are not are the older established members that consider this place a vault of information not easily found elsewhere.

Brokennock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.