• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New scalping knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished this one. 8" blade of 01 steel, deer leg bone with deer rawhide wrap.

0a754675.jpg
[/img]

Nice :bow: :bow: Is that a half tang or the "Rat tail" type? I really like the bone with the raw hide wrap. I've been thinking about trying one of those myself.

That is one good looking knife. Really do like the handle. anvil :hatsoff: :applause:

Wicke its great looking how thick is your blade ? I guess you'll be showing off a nice sheath as well?

Thanks guys. The blade is 8" long, starts out around 1 1/4" wide, a bit less than 3/16" thick, but has a full distal taper. The bone is first filled with reinforced epoxy, yeah, that's not PC, but it is strong, and deer bone is brittle, then slotted for the tang which is as long as the wrap, and as wide as the bone. The bone is held by two iron cross pins then wrapped with deer rawhide that was soaked over night. I usually antique the steel, but am waiting on word from the owner. Thanks again for your kind words.

Hay Wick- good looking scalper, dead ringer for the NWCo/HBC style. Did you etch or stamp your name?

Thanks Dave. It's an acid etch. A ground is applied, and I just write my name in it, make a dam around the name with common modeling clay, and apply the acid. Takes about thirty five minutes to get the letters good and deep.

what type of acid? muriatic sulfuric lysergic?
i like to coat the blade with wax and carve the wax out and soak in muriatic but it tooks a long time

I use a nitric based acid from a company called "CRONITE". They have everything needed for etching. I buy their "Steel Etch". It will do carbon steel, and stainless knife steels when mixed with muriatic and distilled water. It takes about 30 minutes on my blades, but I do a very deep etch.

Latest posts

Back