• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New San Jacinto Battleground Film Series Reenacts Key Moments of the Battle of San Jacinto April 19-22

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I would pass this along for future viewing to anyone interested. This is from the Texas Historical Commission:

San Jacinto Battle Event Graphic
New San Jacinto Battleground Film Series Reenacts Key Moments of the Battle of San Jacinto
Join the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site virtually to celebrate the 185th San Jacinto Day with the premiere of San Jacinto: A Lone Star Shines video series.

Every day between April 19 – 22, the site will release a short digital film depicting four pivotal scenes from the Battle of San Jacinto and the fight for freedom. The film series was produced by Avila Productions and was directed and edited by Roman Avila.

The videos will premiere at 11:00 am, with encore presentations at 3:30 pm and 7:00 pm, on the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site's Facebook page and will also be available on the Texas Historical Commission YouTube channel. The film will be free to view. 

In April 1836, the future of Texas hung in a balance. Since independence had been declared on March 2, the Texian Army had suffered two crushing defeats at the Alamo and Goliad, and the government, along with most of the population, was fleeing east.

The fate of the young Republic rested in the hands of General Houston and his small army. On April 21, 1836, in an abandoned cattle ranch on the eastern edge of Austin’s colony, that fate was decided. Houston and his forces defeated the larger Mexican army, captured General Santa Anna, and changed the fate of Texas forever.

The San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site and Monument and the San Jacinto Museum are open for visitors, please go to visitsanjacinto.com for hours. Social distancing and face coverings are required for visitors ages 5 and up when entering the museum.    

This project is made possible by San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site, San Jacinto Museum of History Association, and the Texas Historical Commission.  ​

Watch closely, you may see my g g grandfather Benjamine (Benjamin) Johnson fighting for Texas' independence. He lived out the war and was granted land in and around the modern day town of Sabine Pass, Texas. He ranched cattle on war granted 4,440 acres and later joined three of his sons to fight in the War of Northern Aggression for Texas in the Ben McCulloch Cavalry. His son Brad is my G Grandfather, who with his brother John helped organize a local militia, the Sabine Pass Guards, after the shelling of Fort Sumter. He raised 12 children by two wives in succession, and an infant slave child he bought just before the War. When he returned home from fighting, the child was now free, so he raised him as a son. To this day, I have Black relatives in Texas descended from him. Back in the 1980's I met a young Black woman who was descended from Benjamine. We called each other 'Cuz'. She said she had a 'scad' of relatives, but I never met them.

Watch closely, you may see my g g grandfather Benjamine (Benjamin) Johnson fighting for Texas' independence. He lived out the war and was granted land in and around the modern day town of Sabine Pass, Texas. He ranched cattle on war granted 4,440 acres and later joined three of his sons to fight in the War of Northern Aggression for Texas in the Ben McCulloch Cavalry. His son Brad is my G Grandfather, who with his brother John helped organize a local militia, the Sabine Pass Guards, after the shelling of Fort Sumter. He raised 12 children by two wives in succession, and an infant slave child he bought just before the War. When he returned home from fighting, the child was now free, so he raised him as a son. To this day, I have Black relatives in Texas descended from him. Back in the 1980's I met a young Black woman who was descended from Benjamine. We called each other 'Cuz'. She said she had a 'scad' of relatives, but I never met them.
Very interesting story. Thank you for sharing.

Amazing! My Mother, Mary Ferroll Butts, whose mother's people, the Johnsons, lived through those times, said 'Texas history reads like a fairy tale. But it's all true.' I had Texas History as a subject in the 7th grade in Jr. High School at Vidor, Texas. My teacher was Mrs. Houston, a direct descendant of Sam. It was the only final exam I made a perfect '100' on. I often wonder what Sam Houston, Barrett Travis, Lorenzo Zavalla, and the others would think of what Texas has become. Would they approve? or would they be ready to leave the United States and be an independant Nation again? All I can say, is if Texas leaves, I must go with her.

Last edited:
Back