• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger955

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased a new-to-me rifle at my local gun shop yesterday afternoon. It is a Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter carbine, made by Antonio Zoli in Italy. I have been doing some searching and can't find much info on these guns.
It is a cut-down, sporterized version of the 1863 Enfield rifle, .58 cal. 26" barrel with a 1-60ish twist. From what I have read, the Navy Arms/ Zoli Enfields were about the most accurate reproductions made, though this short rifle would not be HC for any time period. I suppose after the war some of the guys brought their rifles home to use for hunting, perhaps some of them cut them down to be more handy in the woods? Regardless, I think it will make a fine, handy hunting rifle though.
I was hoping to get out today and work up some loads for it, all I need is caps. It came with 2 nipples, the one installed is for musket caps and there is a spare in the patchbox for #11 caps. I have lots of #11 caps but was fooling around last night and don't have a tool to remove the big square musket style nipple. All of the local gun shops are closed today and my local Wally World has pretty much no BP supplies. Grrrrr!
I am heading out to my local hardware store to see if they have a wrench that I can change the nipple out with, if not I'll try Wally, see if they have musket caps.
It sucks having a new gun and only be able to polish and oil it, and not go shooting. I shoulda looked at the nipple more carefully and bought some caps while at the gun shop yesterday. Oh well, shoulda, woulda, coulda, right? I am tickled with the rifle, and the deal I got on it.

I think Navy made this gun as a cut down Zouave, so minies would work OK. They were really popular in the day.

Rick

Tiger. I used to own one of those back in the mid 80s an I can tell you that you have got a shooter there. Like a fool I sold mine an for the life of me cant tell you why. they are built like a tank an the one I had shot a lee minie with 90 grs of ffg very very accurate. I killed several nice deer with it but back then I thought I had to trade guns all the time always looking for something better. If yours shoots good then you better hold onto it cause you have something there thats not made anymore an you can harvest anything on this continet with it :thumbsup:

I am curious as to what "when" they were very popular and if this includes the civilian sector, I thought the "minnies" were a .58 military bullet starting a bit pre civil war, but I have been wrong before.

You are right Rick, my mistake, it is a cut down version of a Zouave, not an Enfield. All of my experience to date has been with Hawken/ Plains style rifles and I am not very familiar with the old military rifles. I get confused with the different models.
I have a box of .570 round balls and prefer to shoot them, though I will try some minies when I find some. I am hoping a tightly patched RB will shoot well with the slow twist in this barrel.

I found a 7mm wrench at the local hardware that fit. I changed the nipple and went out shootin. I like this gun! I have some load work to do, and definitely have to do some trigger work, but so far, so good.
By the time I got out shooting the afternoon "breezes" were howling pretty good so I didn't try to set up a target, I was shooting at a 5 gal. bucket hanging on a post about 125ish yards away. I was using .570 round balls with a .018 patch and it loaded rather easy. With 60-70 gr. of 2f the patches were kind of scorched at the lands, but not burnt through. I need bigger balls or thicker patches for a tighter fit. Local gun shop has some Great Plains bullets in .58 I might try also.
I never hit the bucket with about 6 shots (before my nipple broke :( ), but most were pretty close. Don't know how much was the load, how much was the wind, and how much was me yanking on that heavy trigger. I had my .54 mountain rifle along and fired a couple at the bucket afterwards, hit 2 out of 3, but the I am much more familiar with that gun and the sweet set trigger. I did notice how much faster the smaller .54 ball got there with the same powder charge also. I am hoping to be able to work up a faster, flatter shooting load for the .58 for hunting. Out here I don't see a shot under 100 yds very often.
I have several months to play with it and even if it doesn't work out I have a couple other good shooters to fall back on. I really want to get a cougar under "fair chase" rules, and want to do it with a muzzleloader.

Tiger, pics please. On the trad bow sites it's called "Man law," you don't get to tell us all about your new toy without it being a show-and-tell! :)

Back