• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrubicon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Evening, I have been reading about the CVA Mountain Rifle for quite a while and thought it would be a good rifle for me.I wasn’t really looking but ran across this one. Barrel says Made in USA and it is super clean. It’s a 45, my favorite caliber of all guns, including the unmentionables! I got it yesterday and completely cleaned everything. Tonight I am making a ramrod for it and will finish tomorrow. It came with a ramrod that I believe is original to the gun, it has a pin in the threaded side. I’m going to shoot it this weekend and see how it does. It has a very good feel and is a natural pointer, much more comfortable than my Investarm hawken.

Attachments

• FBAEC485-8F39-4B64-945B-67505A851BA4.jpeg
    FBAEC485-8F39-4B64-945B-67505A851BA4.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 6EE9DE83-B0B8-4085-8FFA-146AEAC2A566.jpeg
    6EE9DE83-B0B8-4085-8FFA-146AEAC2A566.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 248
Congratulations! Looks like you got a nice one. That dark-colored nosecap is unusual, though. A previous owner likely blackened it. I like the way it looks.

I think you are smart to make a replacement ramrod. For one thing, its always wise to have a spare. In addition, while the OEM ramrods are functional, the quality is not that great. I have a .50 caliber CVA Mountain Rifle and a .58 caliber Big Bore Mountain Rifle. Both have a little retention spring for the ramrod down inside the ramrod channel. It tends to catch on the rebated rim of the threaded fitting on the ramrod, and that makes the ramrod a little tricky to withdraw. A nicely fitted ramrod from a suitable hickory blank is a better alternative.

I believe you'll enjoy that rifle. They were highly regarded as shooters in their day.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Congrats on a good find. I always liked the look of that rifle. 45 caliber is nice.
Should be a good round ball gun.
Round ball is what I like to shoot, I’m gonna cast up some .440 and .445 tomorrow evening to get ready for this weeken.

Congratulations! Looks like you got a nice one. That dark-colored nosecap is unusual, though. A previous owner likely blackened it. I like the way it looks.

I think you are smart to make a replacement ramrod. For one thing, its always wise to have a spare. In addition, while the OEM ramrods are functional, the quality is not that great. I have a .50 caliber CVA Mountain Rifle and a .58 caliber Big Bore Mountain Rifle. Both have a little retention spring for the ramrod down inside the ramrod channel. It tends to catch on the rebated rim of the threaded fitting on the ramrod, and that makes the ramrod a little tricky to withdraw. A nicely fitted ramrod from a suitable hickory blank is a better alternative.

I believe you'll enjoy that rifle. They were highly regarded as shooters in their day.

Notchy Bob
Well this all happened pretty quick, the only material for the ramrod I could find was poplar. I’m going to order a piece of hickory. It will still be a nice ramrod. I needed a solution to shoot this rifle! I’m really excited, it’s a beautiful piece.

Round ball is what I like to shoot, I’m gonna cast up some .440 and .445 tomorrow evening to get ready for this weeken.
I have a Traditions deerhunter rifle in 45 caliber. Although not as nice as the mountain rifle, it's still a good shooter.
Mine likes the .440 ball with a .010 cotton Oxyoke patch and 60 grains of 3f Old Ensyford.

My 45 shoots well with 60 grains of 3Fg as well. I’m using a thinker patch, but they all shoot a little different. I run .018 pillow ticking and frontiers lube. Fun little gun to shoot.

That appears to be one of the early CVA Mountain Rifles in that the barrel is marked "USA" and t has the 4 screw patchbox. Best guess is 1975-1978. They were sold in late 1975, but not included in the catalog until 1976. Yours has had the sights changed as the original front was a silver blade, and the rear was a longer unit with a screw for minor elevation adjustment.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cva...YCs0KHcMQBOAQ9QF6BAgMEAE#imgrc=GxFjFqO-5w49tM
The original ramrod would have aluminum hardware, and the nose cap is some sort of pot metal that will take polish or will tarnish. The lock in mine seems to have a weak mainspring, but the triggers are, and have always been excellent.

Take a look at the hooked breech tang and make sure it is snugly bedded.

Nice looking rifle. Now go make some noise and smoke.

I never use the ramrod that came with the rifle, unless I go to the field. I bought a fiberglass ramrod to use at the range. Much more durable and it came with several nested attachments and accepts virtually all other attachments as needed.

Nice find! I’m sure it will bring you years of enjoyment. I’ve had one in .45 that I’ve hunted with for about a decade and another one in .50 that is on the way as we speak.

Very nice looking Mountain Rifle !! I have a .50 that looks and shoots wonderfully. I would snap up a .45 like yours if ever I found one reasonably priced. Great shooting guns!! Greg 😀

Evening, I have been reading about the CVA Mountain Rifle for quite a while and thought it would be a good rifle for me.I wasn’t really looking but ran across this one. Barrel says Made in USA and it is super clean. It’s a 45, my favorite caliber of all guns, including the unmentionables! I got it yesterday and completely cleaned everything. Tonight I am making a ramrod for it and will finish tomorrow. It came with a ramrod that I believe is original to the gun, it has a pin in the threaded side. I’m going to shoot it this weekend and see how it does. It has a very good feel and is a natural pointer, much more comfortable than my Investarm hawken.
Looks great!

Ramrod is done, I also cast about 120 .440 round balls. I’m going to shoot this weekend.

I have this in .50 and almost love the gun. The hook breech and barrel lugs makes it easy to clean and it feels great to shoot. I do have a lot of trouble with unreliable ignition after a few shots (15?) when fowling gets into the drum. Just capping doesn't always blow out the fowling. Someday I will figure it out.

Back