• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrubicon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, my new investarms 45 cal came in the other day, it’s the Bridger Hawken. Today I was able to fire it. This is my first BP rifle, I have an Uberti 1858 pistol that I have been shooting a lot, I wanted the same experience with a rifle. I must say it won’t be the last Muzzleloader rifle! The rifle is nice, I see things that could have been done better, lots of tooling marks on the barrel that were blued over. That being said it is a very nice looking gun and I will be proud to hang it on the wall. It is an absolute shooter, I started with 50 grains, by volume of Goex ff, I did 3 shot groups in 5gn increments to 70gn, by volume. all testing was at 25 yds. I did not have a group over 1 1/5”. It seems to like the 60-65gun range. I had several shots overlapping, all shots were on a rest. All I shot were .445 round balls cast by me with an old Lachmiller mold, wrapped in spit patch, ox yoke .10 thick. My .440 mold and .18 patches should be here in the next week. I am very excited about the results I have already had, Im going to set the range for 50 yds for the next shoot, I really like this rifle. I will try the .440 balls next.

As you experiment to find the optimal load for your rifle, be sure to try 3F Goex. That is all I ever shoot in my .45 rifles-both flintlock and percussion. I think you'll find 3F will deliver better results than 2F but you won't know for sure until you give it a try. You're already off to a good start but experimenting to find the best combination of powder, ball, and patch for your rifle is part of the fun.

I agree that 3F seems to work very well or better than 2F in a 45. My 45 has a slow 1-60 twist and it doesn’t do well unless you use at least 70 gr of 3F. If your rifles twist is faster you might do well with less powder. Keep working on your loads until you get one ragged hole groups at 25 yards. 1-1/2 groups at 25 yards really opens up to large groups at 50-100.

I do have some fffg that I am also going to test.
5AE80AE1-2729-4158-A345-392100546CC6.jpeg
F1A1164F-B7B7-481A-8E34-1C147F30521E.jpeg
F0191A73-E824-4DF1-9DBF-835FB4EEF61E.jpeg
9B3D899D-16A2-44B1-ABBF-1C7252C015AD.jpeg
F20D8905-72F3-468E-B0F7-4CD6DC1C8CA9.jpeg

I use 3f powder in my 45. 60 grains with the 440 ball and .010 Oxyoke cotton patch. Spit or Crisco for lube.
Been kinda going back and forth with Swiss and Old Ensyford powder.
My rifle shoots good with either one.

I really like that box to catch the rifle balls. Where did you get it!
I made it a couple years ago, I am an avid shooter and reloader. Lead isn’t so easy to come by so I built this to keep my lead. I have shot up to full house 44 mag into it. I think centerfire rifle would destroy it, it’s all 1/4” thick. It works quite well and was easy to make.

I made it a couple years ago, I am an avid shooter and reloader. Lead isn’t so easy to come by so I built this to keep my lead. I have shot up to full house 44 mag into it. I think centerfire rifle would destroy it, it’s all 1/4” thick. It works quite well and was easy to make.
its so cool! I have seen some .22 cal bullet traps on-line and wonder if it would be strong enough for a .45 Black Powder ball at say 25 yards?

I think you're right, a center fire rifle caliber would swiss cheese it.

Having said that, way back when I had my Kentucky .45 caliber rifle (1979 - 1980), my neighbor had a T/C Hawken .50 caliber. Both came as kits. Well, I made a metal squirrel target, about 10 ga. thick. at work, we worked at the same place, just different departments. Mark and I went to the range and we were burning some black powder one weekend practicing up for the black powder hunting season. He asked if he could shoot at the squirrel, I said sure. I put it out at 25 yards. He loaded that Hawken up with 95gr FFg and a maxi-ball. He touched it off and I heard #@%^#$@@#$#$! The squirrel took to the air and when it landed, it had a HUGE hole, center punched no less. Dead squirrel, bruised shoulder, and more fun than we should have been allowed to have.

That gives me an idea to make one on wheels out of an old kart or push mower.
Funny you mention that, that target is not easy to move around, I have an old garden tractor trailer I’m going to mount it to so that I can change my distances much easie.

I could see investing a couple of hundred dollars in some 1/2"-3/4" thick steel plate to make a permanent trap like the OP's. To be set on a private property. I should think 3/4" thick cold rolled steel would handle anything up to modern bullets designed to pierce steel, concrete, etc. For sure saving lead, copper jacketed bullets, and the newer monolithic copper & brass bullets, makes a whole lot of sense.

Latest posts

Back