• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Reworking a Pedersoli Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bess is done. I added a little varnish to the polymerized tung oil to help dry it faster and give it a slightly harder look. In the photos you can see that the barrel pins are below the wood surface on the lock side of the stock. That prevents a punch from slipping off the pin and denting the stock when tapping the pins out from the lock side. I stamped the stock with store keeper and inspector marks but I am currently not able to stamp proof marks in the barrel. Pedersoli barrels are tough and I need to create a stamping system that works. In some of the photos you can see the texture in the wood resulting from the scraped and burnished finish. Despite my efforts, I cannot completely overcome the deficiencies of the Pedersoli Bess but I can improve it and bring it up to a higher standard, a standard more similar to what British ordnance inspectors likely expected. Thanks for looking.

dave
XClLrxM.jpg

Ccz8UFr.jpg

ctvUYOE.jpg

f6H7ih2.jpg

sH7zTZy.jpg

R1fRM0O.jpg

9MYpKz7.jpg

lRhbIFq.jpg

HznSklZ.jpg

MKPHkFI.jpg

hXG26FQ.jpg

1wLHl2V.jpg

M8Q1Nzu.jpg

720Pn17.jpg

OeIo0Yw.jpg

pa0CH7m.jpg

Hi,
I am including comments and discussion between Artificer (Gus) and I concerning the thread. I think the comments and information provided are really important and valuable. If you are interested in historical Besses or the origins of the Pedersoli Bess, read these comments. You will get quite an education.

Dave,

This is GREAT!!

OK, here’s the first of probably many questions. When you lower the height of the lock panels and the wood around the trigger guard, do you somehow mark inside the inletting to show you how far down you should cut the wood and not go too far? I’m thinking a sharp pencil mark around the inside of each inlet along the top of the lockplate, perhaps? Or perhaps do you use a depth gauge as you work? Or do you do this by eye?

Gus

Hi Gus,
I do it by eye. Take a little off and then check the part. That is where scrapers are great because you can remove a little wood at precise locations until the depth is right and even. Drawing a depth line would be hard for the lock because the eventual inlet is very shallow around the edges and the thickness of the edge of the lockplate is not even. They are thicker in some places than others.

dave
Hi Gus,
I want to make sure the lock sits all the way in the inlet. The sear screw could be interfering. I will simply cut it out leaving a shallow round hole for the screw head. The original Besses I have disassembled had much finer lock inletting than the Pedersolis. You see the outlines of the bridle and holes for the screw heads.

dave
Dave,

Got a real kick out of your term “globular whumpus.”

Do you pencil in the distance from the lock plate to the edge of the lock plate panel before you rasp/scrape the edge of the panel closer to the lock plate or do you do this by eye?

Another question on both lock and side plate panels. After you get the distance from the lock plate to the edge of the panel the way you like it, do you or have you ever made a tracing of it to use to shape the outer edges of the side plate panel to keep both panels similar? The reason I ask is mostly because of the way you shape the wood from the bottom of the stock to the new edges of the lock plate panel.

BTW, I admire your eye in doing this work to the stock.

Gus
Hi Gus,
I like the word "globular". When I was a kid, I used to call those shiny balls mounted on pedestals seen in people's yards - "globular woodchuckian shiners" because they looked like a woodchuck standing up with a shiny head. I really wanted to shoot at those damn things but my parents would not let me. Go figure?

When I am building a gun from scratch, I always make drawings. From those drawings I can trace the shape of the lock molding on some cardboard. Once the lock is inlet and the lock bolts drilled, I cut appropriate holes for the bolts in the card stock. Then, using the bolts to hold the cardboard in place, I trace the outline on the stock, turn the card board template over and use the bolts to hold it in place on the other side of the stock. That way I start out with the panels being even on both sides. From there on out, however, I do everything by eye and those outlines are always modified by eye during the build. Also I do not worry overly about making sure both panels are even. They rarely were even on originals and makers knew that you cannot see both panels at the same time. On the Bess I am working on, I just eyeball the moldings. One thing to consider, Gus, Besses were hand made and not by machine. There was no "Blanchard lathe" then. My upgraded Pedersolis all look better and more authentic if there are minor inconsistencies and asymmetries. It says the gun was made by hand.

dave
Dave,
I remember those shiny “garden globes” and remember thinking they were some kind of communications devices from Martians. Another thing from the 50’s Sci Fi movie genre.

I understand the lock and side plate panels were not uniform in the period and you can only look at one side at a time. I also like your idea of making a cardboard transfer pattern with holes in it for the side plate screws. For some of us who don’t have your eye for stock shaping, making a transfer off the inside of the lock plate with holes and flipping it over to use for the side plate panel could help us to lay out pencil lines to correct the side plate panel?

I noticed you cleaned up the brass of the trigger guard, thumb piece, etc., to remove the dullness/stains from the brass. May I ask what you used to do that?

It looks like the round ended scraper you are using is a Jerry Fisher scraper. What size is your favorite from this work from the link below? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REtXimdbOmc

Also, may I ask where you got the three sided chip carver knife that is your favorite scraper?

I am really enjoying and appreciate this tutorial of yours.

Gus
Hi Gus,
One way to transfer a lock panel design to the other side is to shape the lock side, then make a rubbing of the panel using thin paper and a pencil. You have to remove the lock to do this so the rubbing will pick up the outline of the lock too. Place the lock plate in its outline on the rubbing and mark the bolt holes. Then glue the paper on a piece of card board and cut out the outline. Punch the bolt holes through the card board and you have a template. If you use the same kind of lock again on a different gun, you have a ready made template. The brass was first cleaned with comet and hot water because of the gunk. Then I polish off the patina with 100 grit 3-M radial bristle burr mounted on a Dremel. I cleaned all the brass in about 20 minutes. Later, I will polish it a little with finer bristle burrs and then burnish the brass with water and pumice stone. It will have a nice mellow burnished look. I have 2 sizes of Fisher round scrapers. The smaller has 1/2" and 5/8" disks, and the larger has 3/4" and 1" disks. The chip carving chisel is the #9 Pfeil chip carving chisel from Woodcraft.

dave
Dave,
Have to admit I was initially puzzled when you wrote about taking wood off the fore arm prior to your most recent post. Wow, taking that wood off the bottom is something I don’t think I ever noticed or heard of before. Once again, it shows you have a remarkable eye for stock details.

I pulled out my Pedersoli Bess made in the late 90’s and while it also has the noticeable “step down” up front, the front rammer pipe is already inletted such that half or maybe more height of that pipe. So I pulled out three of Bailey’s Books and “The Brown Bess” by Goldstein and Mowbray and looked at a LOT of period muskets to see how far down the front rammer pipe stood proud of the wood. A few of them it seems like the rammer pipe was barely inletted at all, so much of the rammer pipe extends from the stock.

While you are filing down both sides of the wood around the rammer, do you check it for flatness with a Carpenter’s Square or maybe something like a long Aluminum ruler? Never having done this before, I don’t trust my eyes to do it the first time.

You mentioned you used a triangle file, I think, to cut the two lines on the front of the trigger guard. Did you switch to a small round file after you got the beginning of the lines filed into the trigger guard or did you stay with the triangle file?

Wow, these are some great details to make a Pedersoli Bess more accurate and I really do appreciate you posting the pics and telling us about how you do it.

Gus

P.S. Got some interesting info on the 1769 Dublin Castle SLP’s I will be writing next and adding to the other thread as soon as I get it typed.

Hi Gus and thank you,
It helps to have had a number of original Besses in my hands and to actually have disassembled several. Most of those were India pattern guns but one was a pattern 1777 SLP. I have also examined a lot of museum guns and taken many notes and photos where I can. I have a sense of what a real Bess should look like, although being hand made, there was a lot of variation in details. A carpenter's square or a simple cardboard template that you hold against the side of the fore stock as you shave it down would be helpful. Calipers would also work. I keep the bottom even and straight by holding the file almost parallel with the ramrod channel and stroking forward keeping as much of the file in contact with the wood as possible. This enables the flat side of the file to work for me keeping the filed surface flat and even.I just do so many of those tasks by eye and after veiwing a lot of originals, I am not too worried about everything being perfectly even and symmetrical. I think it was Howard Blackmore who wrote ordnance stockers would turn out a scraped finish stock from a sawed blank in 10 hours! That was not the work of one man but a team with specialty skills. Still, it is pretty amazing and they did not waste a lot of time evening things up. I cut the lines on the trigger guard finial with a engraving chisel and hammer and then used a triangular needle file to remove metal along the front edge of each line so the line actually becomes a little step. It just requires a few strokes of the file.

dave

Last edited by a moderator:
More discussion between Artificer and me:

Dave,

A “blind” pin to cover that the Pedersoli Buttplate does not have a tang? Brilliant.

Never having cut a dovetail in what I consider a very thin walled barrel, how deep do you normally cut the dovetail for the sling swivel lug? Oh, I noticed you angled the fore and aft edges of the barrel lug more than I’ve seen on a couple of original muskets. Looks like it would make inletting them easier?

On both my circa Mid 1970’s Pedersoli Brown Bess Carbine and my late 1990’s Full Length Pedersoli Musket, the sling swivels that came on both of them were/are insanely too wide for period slings. I fixed that by replacing the sling swivels on my old Carbine, but have not done that yet on my full length Musket. I wonder, do you replace the factory swivels or perhaps cut out a piece from the middle of each swivel and weld or solder it back together, using the screw to align both halves?

Gus
Dave,

WOW, just 10 hours to turn a rough blank into a finished stock in the period? Even considering they used different workers who were best at doing things to the stocks, that is almost warp speed. I admire the guys who inletted the locks and buttplates.

Before you wrote this post on the beaver tails behind the lock, I had noticed you did not make very large ones and often seem to use a sort of flat point on yours. While looking at the forearms on a bunch of stocks on originals in three of Bailey’s books and “The Brown Bess,” I looked carefully at the beaver tails on those stocks. Have to say I never really noticed how much they differed, due to the different workmen who carved them.

I have greatly admired the beavertails and wrap around “Aprons,” as Bailey mentioned they were described in the period, that went from the panels to the bottom of the stock near the sides of the trigger guard on the Pattern 1730 Muskets to some Pattern 1740 Muskets. Bailey mentioned these were not only for esthetics, but also to reinforce the stock at those points. However, it must have been way to expensive as the carving was greatly simplified from the Pattern 1742 Muskets and beyond.

One would think the workmen at the Tower who stocked the muskets and assembled them, would have been paid fairly well for the times, but Bailey mentions they were pretty poorly paid, no matter what they did. Bailey gives examples of one guy who was brought to court for taking scrap brass and worn out lock parts to sell on the side. Another workman got caught taking a couple of broken/unserviceable bayonets and his defense was he was going to make some tools out of the metal. Though that defense was pretty crafty, they threw the book at him as well.

Gus
Hi Gus,
I am going to swap out the swivels for proper smaller ones for the Bess. Track of the Wolf sells the right size, however, the owner has a pretty wide sling and I am giving him the option of the new narrower swivels or keeping the old ones. The swivel loops that came with the gun are way too wide. I don't cut a dovetail in the barrel for the lug. I simply solder it on. The angled shape does make it easier to inlet and to remove less wood. Most originals were round but I disassembled one (India pattern Bess) that was angled. I like the big beaver tails on the earlier muskets and wish they continued them. They really are not hard to cut and can be done very quickly but they certainly require more time than the indifferent tails cut on the pattern 1742s and later. I feel for the poor workmen of that day. Some were salaried "day" workers and others were "piece" workers who were paid by the unit manufactured. The authorities really exploited the piece workers.

dave
Dave,

Prior to this last post of yours, I really did not understand what you meant about working the butt stock to make it appear more correct. I was fascinated by the ratios you found on original stocks. The effect of this modification is quite dramatic.

Gus
Dave,

It is not very common at all, but I have seen Sears in Italian Military Percussion/Flintlock Muskets like this before and believe it or not, in some original Foreign Muskets and “Non Interchangeable Parts” Muskets. I thought perhaps the first one I saw had been bent in the heat treat process, but upon closer examination, I don’t think that was the case. Then I thought it may have been done to make up for possibly the position of the trigger bar being off, but again, I don’t think that was the case, either. I think they got bent during the machining process when the cutters got dull or the operator ran the machine too fast or it wasn’t lubricated properly? The original parts were probably bent when forged, after they came out of the forging dies and before they cooled.

As I’m sure you do, I usually replace this kind of bent Sear in Military Percussion/Flintlocks as the Repro Sears were both available and were not so expensive compared to what one might/would have to do to get it to work properly. However, Pedersoli Sears are NOT inexpensive or often readily available. Every now and then when I ran across this, it was with a repro that parts were not readily available for, though. Some examples were some of the “OFF” brands of Zouave muskets and even some of the COLT made muskets over the years. I did not try to stock COLT musket parts as they cost too much, were hard to get and there weren’t enough NSSA Shooters using them to put that kind of money into parts I rarely used. Real Parker Hale parts were also very expensive, BUT they always fit and worked in their locks and in most original locks that were made as “Interchangeable Parts” Muskets.

Anyway, though I certainly don’t like the way the rear of the sear bends outwards, as long as the “bolster” part of the Sear around the screw and the Face of the Screw is parallel to the lock plate, I found you could even do a good trigger job with this kind of second rate Sear, though you sometimes have to cut into the outer edge of the Sear behind the bolster to clear the inside of the Bridle. I did find I often had to clear extra wood in the lock mortise because of the bent shape and even a couple of times I had to cut the outer edge of the Sear Tail short, so it wouldn’t bottom out inside the mortise.

Well, if anyone can fix this Sear (if it needs much work) is you, but you have my condolences for finding the Sear in that condition.

Gus
Hi and thanks for the replies,
Gus, the sear is not bent. The hole is drilled at an angle. Somebody must have been drunk on the job. I guess it is also possible someone replaced the sear in the past and screwed up. Anyway, I will anneal the tumbler, bridle, and sear and then I think I am going to straighten out the hole probably with a rat tailed file. I am afraid a larger drill will simply follow the hole rather than straighten it. However, after filing it straight, I will run a bigger drill through it using my drill press to true it up. Fortunately, the sear and bridle have extra meat on them so I can enlargen the holes. Then I will make a new sear screw with thicker shank but similar thread size (it will have a shoulder). That should solve the problem. I don't have metric taps and dies so I will likely rethread the hole in the lockplate to 8-32 or 10-32 depending on what works best. All of the internal parts look like they came right out of the molds without any filing or fitting whatsoever. They look like parts from one of the Miroku locks. This is the worst Pedersoli Bess lock I have worked on. The good news is my finish dried nicely last night and another coat can be applied.

dave
Dave,

OMG, I have seen bent Sears over the years, but never a Pedersoli with the Sear hole drilled/tapped that far off center.

Do you happen to know the diameter of the current Sear Screw Thread? I wonder if even a 10-32 screw thread will be big enough for the screw hole, after you open the hole to square it up?

Parts as rough as a Miroku Bess? Good Grief.

Gus
Hi Gus,
You are right, the screw size is more like 12. I annealed the sear and straightened the hole. The original screw fits with a little slop but I want to make a bigger screw. Fortunately, the size difference won't be much. Also, on this lock, the mainspring barely catches the tumbler when the flintcock is at rest. I have to open up the hook a little and reshape the mainspring so it does not hang below the lockplate. This lock is a real hatchet job. Well, at least the frizzen fits on the pan without big gaps, so there is at least that going for it.

dave
Dave,

Well, at least the customer found the right guy to fix those deficiencies.

I had to refit the frizzen to the pan on almost all the Miroku Besses and even many Pedersoli Besses in my Unit to ensure they didn’t lose the prime during “Cast About.” I’m not sure if my 1990’s Pedersoli Bess actually required it, but I refitted the frizzen before I used it the first time, just to ensure I would never have that problem. Shooters don’t prime their pan and then “smartly” move the musket around so much in the loading process, so it doesn’t require their frizzens fit the pans as tightly as for reenactors

Gus
Dave,

I was expecting this post would be a doozy, considering the problems you already mentioned on the lock, but you far exceeded my expectations. I’m taking notes from your points on the springs as you have brought up some great points.

One point I have is about the Sear Spring contacting the Sear near the Screw bolster. Over the years, I’ve seen about a half dozen Repro Sear Springs on Military Locks that fit very close to or actually butted up against the bolster and actually caused a worse trigger pull because they bound up the Sear at that point. Now I know that is not what you meant and the Sear Spring still has to keep pressure on the Sear and allow it to move readily throughout its path of movement without binding. So I really enjoyed your description of heating and bending the Sear Spring.

I did not have the time or the equipment to do that at the NSSA Nationals I worked at over the years. So what I wound up doing in the case of the Sear Spring binding the Sear that way was either to carefully shorten the lower leg of the Sear Spring that was close to the Sear Screw a little bit (when it still gave proper tension and allowed free movement of the Sear) or replaced the Sear Spring. Of course most of the Military Lock Sear Springs I had were cheaper than one for a Pedersoli Bess and a lot easier to get.

REALLY looking forward to more posts.

Gus
Dave,

I purchased my old Brown Bess Carbine in I think it was the Fall 1974 Nationals of the North South Skirmish Association while working as a gunsmith in what was then known as "The Navy Arms Booth/Cabin." The Cabin actually belonged to Donald "Bucky" Malson who was one of Navy Arms' Distributors. Val Forgett, Jr. often came into the cabin at night, especially to raid the cookies sent by Mrs. Betty Higginson, CWO3 Frank Higginson's wife. Miss Betty's cookies were somewhat legendary.

After a few Nationals that I worked and had purchased my first copy of Dr. Bailey's first book, I asked Val Forgett, Jr. how the Navy Arms/Pedersoli Brown Bess had come to be made. He informed me that they had purchased an original and sent it to Italy to copy.

Val Forgett, Jr. was very knowledgeable on Civil War Guns and especially Civil War Cannon, but not that knowledgeable on Revolutionary War Arms at that time. Val was also always looking "for a deal" so the original Bess that was purchased was not necessarily the most authentic Bess that was available for purchase. Val did believe it was "correct" at the time it was purchased, though.

When that Bess was sent to Italy, it was not required that it was an exact copy, just as close as possible AND at a price that would sell in the U.S. This was the same way Val got the Repro Navy Colt revolver and “Zouave” Musket made in Italy. So none of the common Italian made Repro’s were exact copies and the quality was not as good as the originals.

In the mid 80’s at the SHOT Show in New Orleans, Sue Hawkins of EuroArms introduced me to Mr. Zoli of Zoli Arms, a huge maker of reproduction guns in Italy. Of course he was extremely busy at the Show, but took the time to answer a question that had been bugging me for years. I knew they could make more exact copies of the originals and of at least equal quality referencing their modern shotguns especially, so I asked him why they did not. He informed me that they surely could make exact reproductions and of better quality with modern steels, but they would not sell at the price that would have to be asked for that quality. He explained that a S&W Model 19 Revolver was then currently going for about $ 235.OO and almost NO ONE would pay that much for a Repro Colt Navy Revolver. So they built a gun that could sell for around $ 145.00 and they got complaints about that “high” of a price.

So when Pedersoli produced the prototypes of the Brown Bess for a price that would sell in the U.S., Val Forgett, Jr. said they were “close enough” for the price. I got the “Distributor Price” on my Brown Bess Carbine in the mid 70’s that was below Dealer Cost and Retail. I don’t remember exactly what I paid for it then, but it was around $ 340.00 or slightly more. Just three years or so before that, I had paid $ 175.00 Retail for my then brand new .50 Cal. T/C Hawken Rifle. The Brown Bess had cost me almost a Month’s Salary as a Single Marine Sergeant, even at the Distributor Price. So it was a pretty hefty investment to pay for a hobby.

So, bottom line, Pedersoli did not produce an exact copy of an Original Bess, just something “close enough” that could sell in the U.S. at a price it was worth making the reproductions to sell in the quantity needed to produce the guns for the U.S. market.

Gus
Wow Gus, thank you,
What a great bit of information and it all makes perfect sense given the objectives of the makers and retailers. I knew Bucky and Val through my brother John, who was a top NSSA shooter and a member of the International Muzzleloading Team for a short while. I got to see Val's barn in Sussex County, NJ where he had cannons and a Gatling gun. I have to tell you a story. Back in the early 1980s I was the deer management biologist for NJ Fish and Game. I was in charge of managing deer for the state north of Monmouth county. John brought me over to meet Bucky at his home in Lake Hopatcong, NJ. John introduced me and mentioned that I was a state biologist and Bucky responded "Well, we don't much care for biologists". I answered, "That's OK because we don't much care for puffed up pricks like you". He laughed so hard I thought he was going to have a coronary. We got on famously after that. Buck got me my Parker Hale Whitworth, which he personally selected for me as well as my brother, Nils's Pedersoli Bess, which is a really nice one.

Gus, I really appreciate your and Loyalist Dave's contributions to this thread. I think we are providing folks with some real meat here that they can use to understand the reproduction musket in their hands and how it can be improved to be a better ambassador of history. Thanks Gus and Dave,

dave
Dave,

I could not agree more that the Brown Bess was the most beautiful and elegant Military Musket of the 18th century. There is just something “right” about it that the French Muskets don’t have, even as you noted they were technically superior. I can see why the British Soldier favored it so much. In the hands of British Soldiers, it did very well against the “technically superior” French Flintlock Muskets in actual use for most of the period as well.

My very late 1990’s Pedersoli Bess also has the rammer too far from the barrel as you described in a recent post. I don’t think I will go to the additional modifications you described to correct that, but look forward to doing the other modifications you have shown.

It has occurred to me that your modifications would also make the Pedersoli very much more authentic as a Civilian Contract Musket made during the FIW and before the AWI. Of course the King’s Cypher and Broad Arrow would have to be removed from the lock plate. Lock Contractors’ names appeared on these locks and sometimes the dates, though in different positions, normally. At least the “Grice” contractor name would be correct. Granted with the thumb piece and Entry Rammer Pipe, it would have been an upgrade Contract Musket, though.

Maybe near or at the turn of the current century, Pedersoli decided to make their muskets more authentic as “Dutch Muskets” that British Ordnance had to buy in large quantities for the Napoleonic Wars as once again they did not have nearly enough good Muskets when that war broke out? Gee, I hope they don’t cut the barrels down to 39 inches and screw with the locks and furniture even more, though.

New questions, if I can continue to be a bother? I never really understood how to adjust the “tip over point” of the bottom of the Frizzen or adjust the Frizzen Spring to the Main Spring. Would you be so kind to offer some tips on these?

Gus

Hi Gus,
Thanks for the note. Fittingly, I am building an American militia musket that is made using older commercial contract musket parts. It will represent a pre F&I war commercial musket upgraded to a steel rammer and restocked in NY or NJ just before the AWI. It will look like a simplified long land pattern Bess stocked in curly maple.

With respect to your question, let me defer it until the next post on the lock. The photos I show will make answering your question easier.

dave
Dave,

That will be wonderful and I'm really looking forward to it.

Back in the 90’s, I purchased a number of original Main springs over the years that were made for the M 1842 Springfield. Their shape is very close to a Brown Bess spring, including the eye around the screw hole. However, I believe they are thicker than original Bess mainsprings in the body. I thought about using them in Brown Bess lock kits, but I have never been able to find out much of anything about balancing that spring to the Frizzen Spring.

So I await your upcoming post with extreme eager anticipation.

Gus
Dave,

Just wanted to thank you especially for this last post because there actually were two points “where the lights came on for the first time” in this one post.

The angle you showed to reduce the foot of the Frizzen and thus ensure the Tip Over Point was at the right spot of 30 degrees, was most helpful. It finally dawned on me how extremely small Frizzen feet could work on some locks.

The other point was much more subtle, though still rather profound at least to me. I’ve had to cut the full cock notches on large Military Tumblers further forward to save them after they were damaged or someone did not know what they were doing had messed them up. Of course I noticed this shortened the throw of a Percussion Hammer or a Flint Cock.

What I never thought about was the fact this made it easier for the Sear to be held out of the way of the half cock notch on the tumbler, as you pointed out. Looking back, I find it absolutely did that, but I just never thought about it before.

Looking forward to more.

Gus
Spikebuck,

So many of the questions you wrote are almost identical to the questions I had when I first began doing “trigger jobs” on large Military Locks in 1974.

On my first dozen or so tumblers, I scribed a line perpendicular to the center of the Tumbler pivot like Dave’s photo shows. I actually did that on both sides of the tumbler and used both lines to check to see I re-cut the full cock notch correctly. (Cutting the full cock notch perpendicular to the center of the tumbler as well as can be done is more important on a lock without a fly to get a good trigger pull.)

Over 30 years later when I purchased “The Gunsmith of Grenville County,” they had a neat little homemade tool to help do that. It was a thin piece of brass or steel shim stock that had a hole drilled in it just a few thousands of an inch larger in size than the bridle pivot on the tumbler. There was a line drawn perpendicular to the center of the hole and then the shim stock was cut/filed along that line. This tool is placed over the bridle pivot on the tumbler and then you scribe along the line, to have the same line shown in Dave’s photo. If you want to get real technical, you make a second one to go over the other pivot on the tumbler for the other side of the tumbler.

To make this tool/gadget you use a small piece of graph paper, because it is easy to mark the center of the hole and the line perpendicular to it. Then tape that to the shim stock. Center punch through the paper onto the shim stock at the center of the hole, lay a steel rule or other straight edge on the paper along the line and use a sharp scribe or knife to transfer the line to the shim stock. Drill the hole and cut file the shim stock along the line.

Now, not having a gadget like that, I had to learn how to scribe that line by eyeball and using a steel rule and scribe to scratch the line in the tumbler.

Something I learned to do to keep the full cock notch square across the tumbler might help you. I rubbed black permanent magic marker on the bottom curved edge of the tumbler close to the full cock notch. I actually turned the tumbler upside down to do that and then tightened it slightly snug in the vise. Then I took a square and laid one edge along the length of the exposed part of the tumbler and with the other side of the square, scribed a line across the exposed part of the tumbler. This line should be close to but not on the actual line of the full cock notch. You just use it as an eyeball reference when cutting the full cock notch across the tumbler.

I once worried and kept working my full cock notches until they were as exactly square/parallel to that line as possible and often checked it with a square. Well, as Dave mentions, that is not necessary. As long as the face of the full cock notch is smooth/flat, it can be a little off square across the tumbler. This because there is enough “slop” or looseness in the holes and parts of the lock.

One thing I still do is use the magic marker on the face of my sear to see that I have pretty good contact across the face. The original gunsmiths might have done the same thing with lamp black or candle black. You don’t have to have perfect contact all the way across, but a major portion of the sear face is good. Actually, most of the time I found when I stone the face of the factory sear with a Hard Arkansas stone, it will contact a flat full cock notch very well.

As to how deep the full cock notch has to be on a Brown Bess or other large military lock, a very general rule of thumb is it is normally about twice as deep as it needs to be from the factory. Often it doesn’t need to be that deep. I normally soft solder steel or bass shim stock on the tumbler to take up this space and reduce the trigger pull.

I’m going to go out on a limb a bit here. I prefer a trigger pull on a Brown Bess or other large military locks to be about 4 to 4 ½ pounds as checked with trigger pull weights because this will last a long time. A 3 ½ to 4 pound weight is OK but will wear a little faster. NSSA rules state a minimum of 3 pounds on a rifle musket (and this may be TOO light for a Military Flintlock Musket), BUT I would NOT go that light unless you can properly harden and anneal the tumbler and sear after you finish the work. (Of course to do that, you have to take the soft solder shim off, harden/anneal it and then re-solder the shim back on afterwards). Some folks cut the heck out of the half cock notch and full cock notch and re-harden and anneal the parts, BUT this is far beyond the skills of most hobbyists and some gunsmiths.

A smooth trigger right around 4 pounds is an absolute joy to use after having shot a gun with a 10-12 pound trigger pull from the factory.

Gus
Dave,

Sorry, my FIOS went bust for a while. Lost my internet, cable and phone all at the same time. They did get it fixed fairly quickly though.

If I may add one VERY UNCOMMON problem I have run across on Brown Bess’s, it is the really rare times the bottom of the Trigger is too long and actually hits or drags on the inside of the bow of the trigger guard. I have only run across this twice out of working a few dozen Bess’s, but the first time I ran across it, it almost drove me NUTS trying to figure out why the Sear Nose kept catching on the Half Cock.

I did all the “normal” and even some extraordinary things to ensure the Sear would not hit the Half Cock, but it still did it about 2 out of 5 times and as you know, ONCE is too much. I studied that Bess for over an hour trying to figure out what caused it and finally noticed a very small and slight rub on the trigger guard bow under the trigger. You could only BARELY feel the trigger rub there when pulling the trigger and most folks would not notice it, unless they were especially looking for it. OK, so I shortened the trigger just a bit and rounded the bottom a little more, so it cleared the trigger guard bow. That completely cured the problem of the Sear hitting the Half Cock along with everything else I had done. (The first time I found it, it was on a Miroku Bess which are known for the bent trigger guards, but I also found it one time on a Pedersoli.)

I have to say the Bess looks absolutely lovely after your modifications. The way you tapered the bottom of the “Hand Rail” of the stock would not have been noticeable had you not mentioned it, but it really does make the butt stock look much better.

I cannot thank you enough for this thread and all the pictures and explanations you offered. It is exceptionally gracious of you to have done it and is appreciated more than you might imagine.

Gus
Thanks Gus, 1601phill, and Rifleman,
On this Bess, Gus, the trigger slot was too long so the back end of the trigger would drop down too low. It was only constrained by the end of the trigger guard bow. With the extra metal welded in place, the back of the trigger catches the back of the trigger slot so it cannot drop down. Rifleman, I use Kase Nit because I don't know what the steel alloy is in the screws. It could have enough carbon to harden just by heating but they also may be mild steel. It cannot hurt to use case hardening compound. I do temper them to blue just to make sure the shafts don't get brittle and snap if tightened too hard. I urge the owners of these guns to remove the barrels at least once a year to clean and coat the bottoms with beeswax. I recommend they remove the locks and clean them up after every event. I also urge them to remove the sling and swivels after any event in which the sling is wet or sweaty, and oil the swivels to control rust. If they follow my advice they will be removing some of the screws quite frequently. I try and get them to take care of their investment.
Thanks again everyone for looking and commenting. I will be posting the finished gun very soon.

dave
Dave,

There is a footnote Cuthbertson made about using yellow, red or black stain on the stocks to make all the stocks look the same. He also mentions varnishing the stock, which British Ordnance did not seem to do, but apparently was done by at least some Regiments. So at least some Brown Bess stocks would have been more shiny than we might expect today.

This has been a truly marvelous thread and the result was you turned an Ugly Duckling into a Sparkling Swan. I hope the owner appreciates it half as much as many of us do. With your and Claude's permission, I would love to see this thread made into a sticky. It really is that outstanding and I cannot thank you enough for educating us.

Gus

Repro Colt Navy Revolver. So they built a gun that could sell for around $ 145.00 and they got complaints about that “high” of a price.

Fascinating thread.
But, that line (may I go :eek:ff a bit?) reminded me of a time when I had my ml shop in Indiana. Somehow I got on the mailing list of a large importer/distributor for foriegn (Italian and Spanish) ml repros. One of the items offered was a brass/bronze framed Remington Army c&b revolver. They had to be purchased in minimum quantities of a gross (144). The total price, with fees and shipping broke down to $4.00 each. I seriously considered buying a gross or two and going on the road selling to gunshops and at gunshows. At a resale of $25.00 to $100.00 each I could have covered travel expenses and made a decent profit. I was dissuaded by the low quality. IMHO, each would have had to be disassembled and tuned and the machine marks filed off the barrels to make them acceptable. But, I'm sure tons of them, and similar other repros, were sold in those early days of the ml revival.

How did the Italians and Japanese get started down the wrong path of bad proportions and markings to begin with?

Why did they not just pick a nice, correct original and duplicate it?

Soooo glad these photos reappaered before delving into my refinishing project!

Hi Dave,

SgtErv's post gave me a great excuse to read the whole thread again and I enjoyed it thoroughly, once again. Thank you.

This time I zero'd in on the following sentences you wrote:

"I urge the owners of these guns to remove the barrels at least once a year to clean and coat the bottoms with beeswax. I recommend they remove the locks and clean them up after every event. I also urge them to remove the sling and swivels after any event in which the sling is wet or sweaty, and oil the swivels to control rust. If they follow my advice they will be removing some of the screws quite frequently. I try and get them to take care of their investment."

As you know on the originals and on most repro Besses, the barrel loop retaining pins were just driven in then filed to the contour of the stock on both sides. That makes it difficult to get the pins out the first time as you are dealing with a curved surface on each side. I know you have written about filing the ends of the pins perpendicular to the length and breaking/rounding the edges, so they may be driven in and out without damaging the stock around the holes. Though this make the pins shorter than the surface of the stock around the pin holes, a little beeswax will fill in the holes nicely.

The reason I mention this is British Soldiers in the period were forbidden to take the barrels out of their muskets, though of course the Artificers/Armorers did that when necessary. However, many original Besses of the period show Chip out/wallowing of the stock around the area of the pins, when they did take the barrels out of the muskets.

Your recommendation to remove and clean and oil the locks after every event is also sound advice. The British Army actually expected every Soldier to do that on a daily basis at least as early as the FIW, if not earlier than that. This was one thing they trusted even the average "Private Soldier" to do, but of course he was forbidden to disassemble the lock by other than the Artificers/Armorers and sometimes other Sergeants.

Removing the swivels to clean and oil them after a sweaty or rainy weekend is also a great idea. Matter of fact, when that is necessary, it is also a good idea to clean and use a little leather conditioning oil on the sling as well.

Gus

My BB has been hanging on the wall for the last couple years after many use of active use. Health problems now deny me the ability to even hold it up. I always thought it to be one of the mostest funnest guns to shoot I had ever used. But, things change in life. Speaking of retaining pins. When I built this from a Navy Arms kit I used brazing rod instead of the provided pins. I ground them to a taper with rounded ends and inserted from the right side. A gunsmith friend borrowed it and decided to disassemble to learn how it went together. He drove the pins out to the left side :shocked2: and in doing so splintered the stock on that side. :cursing: Oh, well.

Rifleman,

It is surprising to me that though you knew that barrel pins normally go in from the right side and taken out from the left, that anyone who calls Him/Her self a gunsmith would not know the same. That is such a shame what he did to your stock. Did he at least repair the damage he did?

I shattered the wrist of my Brown Bess Carbine when I first began doing WBTS reenacting in 1980. Even though I was trained as a modern NM Armorer/Gunsmith and had already worked WBTS long arms for a number of years, I was not confident at that time to repair it, as I was interested in restocking it. It wound up I carried that “BB in pieces” around and back and forth between both coasts, before I set out to repair it in the late 90’s.

Back then I did not know a number of original Brown Besses had busted/broken out areas on the stock from removing the barrel pins. What I did know from having removed tight pins in other guns, that removing a pin where each end was so curved, would make it difficult to even get the pin to start moving without damaging the stock around it. I thought for a long time before I came up with a way to remove the barrel pins and not damage the wood around them. I tried using special short starter punches, but I could not get enough “purchase” on the rounded edges of the pins to move them.

I don’t remember if my 1970’s period Pedersoli Brown Bess Carbine had steel or brass barrel pins. What I do remember is they were filed rounded to match the sides of the stock. Just checked my late 1990’s full length Pedersoli Bess and the barrel pins are steel and are not filed as close to the curvature of the stock.

I finally decided I had to make the ends of the pins more perpendicular to the length, but had to figure out how to do that. I had been trained and used a Dumore Handy Grinder for years, so decided to use that. This tool is like a Dremel Tool on Steroids and we called it the poor man’s, hand held Mill (referring to an Engine Mill). Our Handy Grinders came fitted with chucks that could handle very small diameter cutters from .050” to larger than the Carbide Burrs and Cutters normally found for use with Dremel Tools. I began with a tiny “Dental Burr” or cutter and cut into the center of each pin on the left side. Then I used slightly larger Burrs that were smaller than the diameter of the pin to further cut a larger section into the center of each pin. That gave me enough of a perpendicular surface to where I could start and then drive out the pins without damaging the stock. Folks at home can use a Dremel Tool that is set up to use the cutting bits in the same way and is why I mention it.

Though I didn’t harm the stock around the pins, I buggered up the pins so bad doing this, I had to make new pins. Fortunately, I had Brownell’s 40 piece drill rod assortment to make the right size pins, but they don’t carry that kit any more. The do still carry 18” lengths of various diameter drill rod that can be used to find the correct size one needs. I don’t remember if I had to drill out the holes in the stocks and barrel loops for the replacement barrel pins, but that is no problem with wire gauge drill bits and the matching diameter drill rod.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith...t-40-pcs-1-of-each-sku080540000-585-2414.aspx

I cut the ends of the pins as perpendicular to the length of the pin as I could and then broke/rounded the outer diameter of each a little. Then I cut them to length so they were just a tiny bit shorter than the width of the stock at each point and repeated this process on the newly cut ends. The pins did not stick out from the stock, but were just a bit short of the outer edge of the stock on both sides of the stock, which is what I wanted. Then I filled in the slight depressions with beeswax.

As long as the next person who took the barrel out of the stock, knew to tap them out from left to right, he/she will never have the problem you and I had on the barrel pins.

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
This is why it is impossible to make a Pedersoli or Miroku Bess look right. The photo shows a buttplate from a Miroku Bess, which is about the same size as the Pedersoli version, and modern casting from an original British short land pattern musket. The size difference is simply too much to be resolved.

Pstga8M.jpg

dave

Thanks to the detail included, I freely admit as a beginner, I don't know what I don't know when it comes to building. Thanks to all involved in this thread for the volume of knowledge.

This is great stuff. Working on little things until I can get stock fixed and later lock changesto Dublin Castle. Got some better sling swivels and did that.

One of the screws, I had to use channel locks to twist, as it was all buggered up. The other, I sprayed wth rem oil, then whacked a screw driver in there with a hammer. Got it loose. Small change makes a difference. To me anyway.

Hi,
I’ll start by reshaping the barrel tang apron, the lock panels, and fixing the inletting of the hardware. Note the photos in the previous post, that the trigger guard, trigger plate, lock, and rear ramrod thimble are all set in the wood too deeply. Actually, they are fine with respect to their correct positions in the stock, it is just that the stock has too much wood left on. The barrel tang apron sits up too high and does not have the correct concave surface. I draw a border around the tang that will remain untouched and then start filing and scraping to lower the apron and give it a concave surface.
I shaped the apron with round scrapers, a half-round file, and a carving knife.
The concave surface is gentle as seen in the fuzzy photo below.

Dave
Okx8X7U.jpg

EC8Qs7g.jpg

QwslW7i.jpg

Z72xbtR.jpg

Dave, please know that I greatly appreciate the time and effort that went into this excellent Bess instruction post. You need to put it into a booklet….it would fly off the shelf! Stay safe. Andy

Back