• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be a bad bet for you, SPQR70AD.

I didn't inherit a penny. I worked hard all my life, then put myself through college, got a great job, then a better one. Got laid off, became self employed, then got an even better job. More education (night school). Laid off again, then self-employed again for a few years. Then hired at another firm. Then moved up to where I am now. Each job move paid more than the previous one, and was more enjoyable to work.

I paid off my house mortgage years ago, I have no credit card debt, and haven't made a car payment since I cant recall when.

Hey, you asked.

Last edited:
Revise the total to 3, before I retired. My highest wage was $22.00 and hour, 11 years ago. I had to work two jobs, I also farmed 80 acres of vineyard. The good thing about working for someone else was the benefits; insurance, 401K, and the company retirement plan. The ranch was darned hard work for little return.
I did framing roofing and concrete for 45 years and the rate of framing per sq was the same for over 20 years same for concrete and roofing. then the messicans came. there are 100's of articles proving wages have not kept up since the 70's. can you imagine if food went up at the rate of ammo primers powder and bullets?

That would be a bad bet for you.

I didn't inherit a penny. I worked hard all my life, then put myself through collage, got a great job, then a better one. Got laid off, became self employed, then got an even better job. More education (night school). Laid off again, then self-employed again for a few years. Then hired at another firm. Then moved up to where I am now. Each job move paid more than the previous one, and was more enjoyable to work.

I paid off my house mortgage years ago, I have no credit card debt, and haven't made a car payment since I cant recall when.

Hey, you asked.
I NEVER had a mortgage. built my own houses and other peoples also. never had credit card debt. never took a loan in my life. but I worked for the same rates in my own business for 20 years. I thought you were to give me the standard story that you had a newspaper route. made $1.50 a month saved it all and now own an inter-galactical company. what ever you do probably produces nothing and is just a drain on society or work for the feds

LOLOL!!! Nice try, but not even close!

Now, get lost.

510d7004a15c4bcbd1a69212e1bb4bf9.jpg

my meager 1% to 3% annual raises most certainly do *not* keep up with inflation, and my pension (even with COLAs) will sadly also *not* keep up with the rising cost of health insurance premiums in the long term, so my 401(k) distributions will have to make up that difference... hmmm, maybe I am not just yet ready retire this Fall, and 50 does seem kind of early/young to go

I worked until 3 months before my 67th birthday, I retired because I had just survived cancer, the same cancer that ended my mother's life at 68. My reasoning was and still is, with a certain amount of time allotted to us on this planet, why spend all of it working for someone else. Having said that, I advise anyone planning to retire, make sure all your debts are cleared. Not having car paymernts, mortgage payments after retirement is absolutely the only way to go. Sadly, our investments have begun to shrink under our "BUFFOON in chief".

COLA??? Don't make me laugh! Never had one in my life. You need to make yourself more valuable to an employer to deserve a significant increase in pay.

If you are planning to retire at 50, you had better be prepared for a difficult financial future. Being a mooch on the dole at 50 is not a plan for financial success. No .22 ammo for you, LOLOLOL!!! 😀 :thumb:

If you are able to work, why not get off your dead ass and be productive, rather than a leach on society?

.22 ammo? I'm sitting on 75k rounds of Mini-Mags, so I'm good there!

If I retire at age 50 this Fall, then my monthly retirement pension check will only be ~$6300; and that is without taking anything from my 401(k), which I could let ride and continue to grow until RMDs... if I take out 'only' 4% disbursements (to roughly keep up with historic inflation), then that would add ~$3000 monthly, which I fear will still may not be enough with rising health insurance premiums... fortunately I have no debt, other than revolving monthly bills such as internet, utilities, phone, fuel, groceries... and 12 to 15+ years to decide when to take SS and whether to opt for Medicare B, etc.

I had duty as a Range Safety Officer yesterday. While watching the handgun range, a young man arrived, wanting to shoot his new Colt .36 calibre revolver. A new one pound plastic can of Goex FFFg, brass powder measure, a plastic scoop for the powder and a new tin of caps. I watched him, to be sure that his loading and shooting were done safely. He did not have a loading stand, so he struggled to hold the revolver and measure and pour the powder, seat the ball in each chamber. When six were loaded, he again struggled trying to place each #11 cap. I could see the shaking of his hands with each step. He did load and shoot about six times, with no problems.
Talking with him afterward, I asked about the Goex. I wondered if he bought it somewhere local. He replied, "I bought it online." With the hazmat fee and shipping and handling, the one pound of powder cost him almost $50. I didn't want to tell him what I paid for my recent powder purchase at NMLRA headquarters. That would have ruined his otherwise good time with his new Colt.
Sarge I understand your reluctance. But what is an NCO for if not to teach and impart what he knows.

COLI??? Don't make me laugh! Never had one in my life. You need to make yourself more valuable to an employer to deserve a significant increase in pay.

If you are planning to retire at 50, you had better be prepared for a difficult financial future. Being a mooch on the dole at 50 is not a plan for financial success. No .22 ammo for you, LOLOLOL!!! 😀 :thumb:

If you are able to work, why not get off your dead ass and be productive, rather than a leach on society?
Can i ask what you do for a living?

I've always been Blessed, I was 9 or10 years old before we had electricity at home and 12 before we had a phone, but a great pair of loving parents, that fed well and I worked for farmers for $6 a day, worked road construction for $1.25/hour and oilfield for @1.98/hour to get a college education, married a good Christian woman that made sure me and the four kids learned about Jesus being our Saviour and the Son of God, that gave His Life for the forgivness of sin. Now we are in the autumn of our lives, with more BLESSINGS than we deserve thanks to the Grace of God our Father.

I had duty as a Range Safety Officer yesterday. While watching the handgun range, a young man arrived, wanting to shoot his new Colt .36 calibre revolver. A new one pound plastic can of Goex FFFg, brass powder measure, a plastic scoop for the powder and a new tin of caps. I watched him, to be sure that his loading and shooting were done safely. He did not have a loading stand, so he struggled to hold the revolver and measure and pour the powder, seat the ball in each chamber. When six were loaded, he again struggled trying to place each #11 cap. I could see the shaking of his hands with each step. He did load and shoot about six times, with no problems.
Talking with him afterward, I asked about the Goex. I wondered if he bought it somewhere local. He replied, "I bought it online." With the hazmat fee and shipping and handling, the one pound of powder cost him almost $50. I didn't want to tell him what I paid for my recent powder purchase at NMLRA headquarters. That would have ruined his otherwise good time with his new Colt.

I get the 5 pounds minimum from Buffalo Arms or Powder Valley. And as I type this most types are available according to both web sites! What I choose ranges from $19-$28 per pound. With the shipping and haz mat comes to $170+. So roughly $35 per pound. Holy black is not available in Ma.

I've always been Blessed, I was 9 or10 years old before we had electricity at home and 12 before we had a phone, but a great pair of loving parents, that fed well and I worked for farmers for $6 a day, worked road construction for $1.25/hour and oilfield for @1.98/hour to get a college education, married a good Christian woman that made sure me and the four kids learned about Jesus being our Saviour and the Son of God, that gave His Life for the forgivness of sin. Now we are in the autumn of our lives, with more BLESSINGS than we deserve thanks to the Grace of God our Father.
Sounds like you are rich in ways that money cant buy.

I'm retired at least twice, two pensions (one is a whopping $157.00 a month), social security, and STILL driving a truck at 72! Retirement isn't all it's "cracked-up" to be. I like the structure of work in my life, and it is also nice to be able to afford hobbies as a reward. Black powder is obviously one of those hobbies. I will "go" until my go is gone.

I think it’s a DAM SHAME what there asking for Black Powder and hazmat fees, I can remember when I paid 10.00 bucks a pound or cheaper and so do you guys, I am 57 years old and the price of shooting components when I was 16 then and now i think really is a turn off for new shooters wanting to get into the sport, it really Stinks .
I hate to say this but when I was paying 6.00 bucks per pound I sure wasn't earning $ 80,000 a year. I can even remember 17 cent a gallon gas but those times sadly are long gone and won't return.

I get the 5 pounds minimum from Buffalo Arms or Powder Valley. And as I type this most types are available according to both web sites! What I choose ranges from $19-$28 per pound. With the shipping and haz mat comes to $170+. So roughly $35 per pound. Holy black is not available in Ma.
[/QUOTE
You need to find more people who shoot black powder. Gather as many as possible and make a bulk order. This will reduce the haz mat fee and shipping for each of you. The more, the better. Make friends with reenactors.

When I got into black powder a mans wages where around $6 per hour. Now I don’t know anyone that makes less then $30 per hour. Not that much difference in costs but harder to find powder locally for me.
That figures out to about $58,000 annually. That exceeds the national median for an individual which I believe was just over $43K. Here in Oklahoma that's a good wage. Our SS and two retirements exceed that by only a bit. I am glad I don't owe any money. Polecat

Last edited:
After reading all the way through the posts, I fail to see what 98% of them have to do worth ML's.

Sure is a lot of whining.

Folks should not spend their money and be miserable, there are lots of miserable folks here. .

Back