• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Rem. Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received my new Uberti 36 cal. Remington from Dixie. 9 days from dropping the letter in the box to UPS delivery- pretty darn good I think. I haven't shot it yet, but it looks real nice. The chambers measure .373, and the land to land measures .3605. Groove to groove is harder to do, seems to be about .368 using an old fashioned inner caliper and mike. I tried taking out the nipples but they are pretty tight. I am going to make a fixture to hold the cylinder from turning, using a pair of steel pins in an aluminum base - hope my nipple wrench is up to the job.
The grips are sort of reddish brown with shiney varnish - ok I guess, but not real pretty. I sure would like a set of ivory grips instead, but there are no mastodons or walruses around here. What's the next best thing? - any ideas?

You don't have to make a fixture, but there is nothing wrong if you do, just put two pins or dowels in opposing chambers and put the pins/dowels in a vise. Then turn the nipples out.If the nipple wrench doesn't work get a 1/4" thin wall rachet of the correct size and cut the right size slot in it and that will remove the nipples. Not my idea but it works. Good luck
PS: don't forget some penetrant to help loosen the threads.

I put a set of Bar S Grips Tru Ivory grips on my 51 London Navy and am very happy with them. They are one piece style and Bar S fits
20221016_131617.jpg
them for free. Took a while and I had to send them my navy but did an excellent job. They look better in person than my pic.

I just received my new Uberti 36 cal. Remington from Dixie. 9 days from dropping the letter in the box to UPS delivery- pretty darn good I think. I haven't shot it yet, but it looks real nice. The chambers measure .373, and the land to land measures .3605. Groove to groove is harder to do, seems to be about .368 using an old fashioned inner caliper and mike. I tried taking out the nipples but they are pretty tight. I am going to make a fixture to hold the cylinder from turning, using a pair of steel pins in an aluminum base - hope my nipple wrench is up to the job.
The grips are sort of reddish brown with shiney varnish - ok I guess, but not real pretty. I sure would like a set of ivory grips instead, but there are no mastodons or walruses around here. What's the next best thing? - any ideas?
A Ted Cash ratcheting nipple wrench has been a lifesaver for me , these guns come new with nipples that seem to have been put on with an air wrench

I'm going with Bonded Ivory grips for my Uberti stainless 1858

Smokepole - you're right, two pins in a vise would do the trick, I just like messing around in the shop I suppose. I have a small lathe and a mill/drill
(milling machine wannabe) so I made a fixture with two pins in an aluminum base - one fits the center hole and one fits a chamber. I got the nipples out and would like to replace them with better ones sometime. What are the best ones?
Horse - thanks for the picture - those grips on the colt navy look real nice to me! The grips on the two Remingtons are just like mine, especially the upper one. I'll look for Bar S grips - I had never heard of them before.
I still haven't shot it, afraid to get it dirty I guess. Maybe today!

Latest posts

Back