• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New quick loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a few trips to the range in the past few weeks to shoot my new 1858 Pietta, I am starting to realize that reloading both cylinders on the gun is certainly time consuming. To speed up the job, I built 12 speed loaders today with 3/8 I’d clear plastic tube, 3/8 wooden dowel, and a touch of super glue to hold the dowel in. Not my idea, I saw it on YouTube. 25gr Pyrodex, and a .454 round ball, lightly lined, complete the package.
I have not tried them yet, but the round ball is pretty secure, takes a bit of pushing to pop it free. Easy to see if it’s loaded, should be waterproof at least for a while.
Before I go the paper cartridge route, I figure I will give this idea a try.

Attachments

• 4C5A9FAE-80D2-4C8A-BB0F-80727182291C.jpeg
    4C5A9FAE-80D2-4C8A-BB0F-80727182291C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 0DB301B6-51EE-4FAC-8BA4-80BD53CBC89A.jpeg
    0DB301B6-51EE-4FAC-8BA4-80BD53CBC89A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I've been playing around with ways to speed up loading, I found that the clear plastic flasks like the T/C U-View are almost twice as fast as a brass flask

After a few trips to the range in the past few weeks to shoot my new 1858 Pietta, I am starting to realize that reloading both cylinders on the gun is certainly time consuming. To speed up the job, I built 12 speed loaders today with 3/8 I’d clear plastic tube, 3/8 wooden dowel, and a touch of super glue to hold the dowel in. Not my idea, I saw it on YouTube. 25gr Pyrodex, and a .454 round ball, lightly lined, complete the package.
I have not tried them yet, but the round ball is pretty secure, takes a bit of pushing to pop it free. Easy to see if it’s loaded, should be waterproof at least for a while.
Before I go the paper cartridge route, I figure I will give this idea a try.
It would be faster if you're not messing with the pulling the ball out.

Just use small vials for the powder and leave the balls loose.

Then you can go powder powder powder powder powder powder. Ball ball ball ball ball ball.

Instead of powder ball powder ball powder ball powder ball powder ball powder ball.

It works like an assembly line. One complete operation then another complete operation.

Alternating your operations will slow down the assembly line process.

It would be faster if you're not messing with the pulling the ball out.

Just use small vials for the powder and leave the balls loose.

Then you can go powder powder powder powder powder powder. Ball ball ball ball ball ball.

Instead of powder ball powder ball powder ball powder ball powder ball powder ball.

It works like an assembly line. One complete operation then another complete operation.

Alternating your operations will slow down the assembly line process.
Good point, I will try both tomorrow if the weather cooperates

The days when I worried about reloading speed went away when I started with muzzleloaders. One shot should be enough to kill a deer and my usual range targets normally wait patiently while I reload. If speed is a concern for some reason, I take a repeater.
Well Dale, same here, but this is for range time, and it is a revolver after all.

I also would like to try the 30gr, 44cal Pyrodex pellets. Good video on YouTube of some guy using cigarette rolling papers and sandwiching a pellet, wad and round ball as a quick loader. Looked interesting but I can’t seem to find the pellets locally, and I have plenty of loose powder. The search continues!

Hello rustic Bob,

Seeing your post brought back a lot of memories. My father and I began using these when hunting with muzzle loader rifles in the eighties. It's a great system. You pull, the cork, pour the powder, then use a short starter to drive the ball through.That's a great quick load system, one which I still use today when hunting in Montana. The only challenge you may find, when the temperatures get cold, it becomes difficult to drive the ball out of the tube end with your short starter. What I've gone to now, is to put a dowel on both ends of the powder tube, and use a loading block for the round ball. The loading block doesn't tighten up when it's cold and doesn't seem to slow me down either. Good luck and great job!

Here is a photo of my quickload system. Very similar to rusticbob! I know the thread began as a technique for the range, but I have found it works in the field as well. Thanks for sharing Rustic...it brings back memories and makes me long for what next season brings! (Thumbs up!)

Quick Loads.jpg

Latest posts

Back