• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shot_sizes.jpg

There's 21 (#4 Buck) pellets to an ounce...

437.5 grains per ounce, devided by 21 = 20.8 grains each

Try either 15 OR 18 of the #4 buck in your pistol, 30 gr. of 3F Goex, Over powder,cushion, and overshot wads, IT WORKS... :results:

I'd be interested in looking at their website, but can't find it...can you help with that?
Thanks

I was doing the math last night, after Musketman posted the weight per pellet data, and I came to a similar conclusion: 15 #4 pellets would be 312gr. and 18 #4's would be 374.4 gr.
Both of these would be within the acceptable range in a .62 cal. I'll definitely be doing a bit of experimentaton, and I'll keep posting my results. Thanks! :thumbsup:

UPDATE : Finally received my pistol from MVTC. Only took about three weeks from the time of order. The gun is NICE! I won't be able to shoot it for a few weeks at least, but I'm lookin' forward to it! The mainspring is nice and strong and the gun sparks well. Pete and Wendy at MVTC are fantastic people, and they are a real pleasure to deal with. Good folks! :thumbsup:

They are great people!! At one event this summer I had purchased a new gun and of course rembered it needed a flash guard 40 min before the battle. I bought one from MVTC and because I had forgot my vise I asked if they had one I could use. As Pete tried to put it on we discoverd the whole in the guard was to small. Pete didn't have his drills with him, so he said "lets go find some one who can get this drilled out" and after a little looking we found some one. Now thats good service!!

Mkui Medal
A.K.A. That GD injun
Guerre Abenakis

Finally! I got a chance to shoot my pistol! 30gr. FFg, .25" fiber wad, and .648 RB with .015 patch. Pretty stout! I was shooting at pop cans at about 25-30 ft, and after a few practice shots, was able to hit them with fairly decent regularity. Not too bad for a smoothbore pistol with no sights! :shocking: I hope to try some shot loads soon too. I'm hopin' this thing will make a nasty little 16ga. shotgun! :: Will report as I do some more scientific testing. ::Awhile ago, somebody else on the Forum was asking about the comfort of pistols with a more horizontal grip like my Dragoon. All I can tell them is that it definitely takes some getting used to, but isn't really a problem. :thumbsup:

I was shooting at pop cans at about 25-30 ft, and after a few practice shots, was able to hit them with fairly decent regularity.

You could have at least taken them out of the vending machine first... :rolleyes: :haha:

Dagnabbit! I dun never thought o' that! :shocking: ::By the by, I's been foolin' 'round with ma buddy's new-fangled digitimal camera, and I finally got some pics o' the mighty Dragoon! They ain't that good, but they'll give ye all a rough idea o' what she looks like. :: :thumbsup:
gshdragoon.jpg

So how much do those cost? I've been thinking about a Harper's Ferry in .58, but I kind of like this one better.

'course, if I get one I'll slap sights on it so fast it'l make my own head spin.

Rat

Rat, a reasonable $275+shipping. Here's another shot to give ya a better idea of the size o' this piece. :thumbsup:
musketeerdragoon.jpg

Musketeer, I'm sure you saw Daryl's posts about the trouble with his Indian Sea Service Musket. These are Indian too correct? What do you think about this gun? Have you looked at the breech area, at least taking the barrel out and examining the outside? I ask because I would like to get one, but after Daryl's experience I am leary of these.

What do you think of the finish? I've read the finish leaves something to be desired on some make/models.

P.S. Neat gun and good shooting enjoy! :redthumb:

Pete at MVTC has got some of the highest quality Indian made stuff I have ever seen. I don't know about breech problems but I am sure you could ask him. Just give him a call.
I once saw three pairs of Scottish Highland pistols he had made from his suppliers. Things of beauty they were, one having a damascus barrel.

I have not un-breeched the piece, as I don't feel qualified, but I certainly don't have the other problems Daryl has mentioned, such as the screws in the gun being undersized and such. The finish of the gun is indeed rough. In fact, it looks like it could have been hammered out with hand tools in some tiny hamlet's blacksmith shop in 1700's England. Though the finish is rough, it is perfectly servicable. The max recommended load is 35gr. FFg. I proofed the gun (while it was tied to an old car tire sittin' on an old piece of carpet!) with 80 gr. FFg and two patched RB's. It passed with flying colors. Like I said, I haven't looked at the breechplug, but again, undersized and poorly-cut screws and threads seemed to be the order of the day for Daryl's gun; Whereas, all the screws in my gun fit perfectly well and thread/unthread smoothly just as they should. I can't swear that the breechplug is the same way, but I'm not too worried about it. In fact, if you visit Pete's site, you'll see that he makes a point of stating that all breeches and plugs are tightly threaded, so maybe he saw the same problem with earlier guns, and has already gotten his particular manufacturer to address it. :hmm: Anyway, email (or even call during the hours specified on the MVTC website, as they are often slow to return email) and talk to Pete or his wife, Wendy, and ask them. They're both super nice folks. Keep in mind that MVTC is JUST Pete and Wendy (no employees), and that they are often out reenacting, so be patient in getting ahold of them. :thumbsup:

That is beautiful!
I have experience with something similar. I built up one of those old DGW Tower flintlock pistol kits about 27 years ago for use as a snake gun hanging from a belt hook. Ugly as sin itself, but it has a .67 bore and sparked very well. The usual load was a 16 guage plastic (forgive me) shot cup wrapped in paper to form a shot cartridge, filled with an ounce of #5.
With a patched roundball at 25 yards it was, shall we say, interesting. I could usually hit the target board at least. I did add a front site though....to help in pointing it.
WJ

Back