• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Pistol Day....yahoo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not a "navy".
Navy refers to the caliber.

For some reason, 36 is the Navy caliber, but I don't know why.

When the 1851 was introduced, under contract with the US Navy, Colt made it in .36, with a naval scene roll engraved cylinder.

Ergo, the "Navy" model.

It became very popular with civilians, too.

Later, when the US Army contracted for a .44 revolver, Colt used their existing 1851 frame, modified for .44 and making the barrel streamlined - but sans the naval scene on the cylinder (for obvious reason)

When Remington made the 1858, they followed the tradition of designating the .36 as their "Navy" model, and the .44 as their "Army" model.

Last edited:

Attachments

• C43AEF24-67B7-431A-9A10-E4A3EBFBDBF0.jpeg
    C43AEF24-67B7-431A-9A10-E4A3EBFBDBF0.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 16
It is not a "navy". Navy refers to the the caliber. For some reason, 36 is the Navy caliber, but I don't know why.

You could call it a replica of the 1851 Colt, but Colt only made it in 36 caliber, never in 44. Colt never made any with a brass frame. There were some brass framed copies made the the Confederacy during the Civil War, but none of these were made in 44 caliber either.

What you have is a replica of a Colt 1851, but with a 12" barrel, a brass frame, and in 44 caliber.
The reason that .36 was Navy is because back then like now the Navy personnel can't handle the recoil of a .44. But us Army guys could and still can handle the recoil of the larger caliber revolvers. 😄 🤣 😂

It is not a "navy". Navy refers to the the caliber. For some reason, 36 is the Navy caliber, but I don't know why.

You could call it a replica of the 1851 Colt, but Colt only made it in 36 caliber, never in 44. Colt never made any with a brass frame. There were some brass framed copies made the the Confederacy during the Civil War, but none of these were made in 44 caliber either.

What you have is a replica of a Colt 1851, but with a 12" barrel, a brass frame, and in 44 caliber.
Navy uses 36 because by weight there's more rounds per pound. They couldn't just pull over and get ammo.

Back