• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Pistol Day....yahoo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Dixie Pietta Wyatt Earp in 44 my wife got for me arrived yesterday. Disassemble, cleaned and oiled everything. Fit and finish seem to be good. Timing is spot on. I have some better nipples ordered, along with .454 RB, wads and need to locate some fffg or pyrodex p. Cant wait to try it out.
I'm guessing this is basically an 1851 Navy with a 12 inch barrel ?

Attachments

• 20220306_122517.jpg
    20220306_122517.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220306_122557.jpg
    20220306_122557.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 90

It is not a "navy". Navy refers to the the caliber. For some reason, 36 is the Navy caliber, but I don't know why.

You could call it a replica of the 1851 Colt, but Colt only made it in 36 caliber, never in 44. Colt never made any with a brass frame. There were some brass framed copies made the the Confederacy during the Civil War, but none of these were made in 44 caliber either.

What you have is a replica of a Colt 1851, but with a 12" barrel, a brass frame, and in 44 caliber.

What you have is a replica of a Colt 1851, but with a 12" barrel, a brass frame, and in 44 caliber.

Thanks for the great information !
That what I was thinking, but heck, still gonna be a blast to shoot.
[/QUOTE]

It sure will be fun to fire! The brother of a friend owned one like that, a Pietta, but with a 5" barrel . He loaded it with as much Pyrodex as would fit in the cylinders. It didn't seem to bother it at all, and he shot it a lot.

It is not a "navy". Navy refers to the the caliber. For some reason, 36 is the Navy caliber, but I don't know why.

You could call it a replica of the 1851 Colt, but Colt only made it in 36 caliber, never in 44. Colt never made any with a brass frame. There were some brass framed copies made the the Confederacy during the Civil War, but none of these were made in 44 caliber either.

We have long understood that Swabbies wrists have difficulty with mens sized pistols…

The Dixie Pietta Wyatt Earp in 44 my wife got for me arrived yesterday. Disassemble, cleaned and oiled everything. Fit and finish seem to be good. Timing is spot on. I have some better nipples ordered, along with .454 RB, wads and need to locate some fffg or pyrodex p. Cant wait to try it out.
Wizzard, She's real purty for sure :thumb: Solely based on your description and pictures, it seems this is what you have. As others have said a "fantasy" gun. I own a couple of Pietta fantasy guns. I really like yours. Hope you enjoy it.

1851 Navy Brass Buntline .44 12"

Attachments

• Wyatt Earp.PNG
    Wyatt Earp.PNG
    29.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Wizzard, She's real purty for sure :thumb: Solely based on your description and pictures, it seems this is what you have. As others have said a "fantasy" gun. I own a couple of Pieta fantasy guns. I really like yours. Hope you enjoy it.

1851 Navy Brass Buntline .44 12"

Thanks Zulch ! I am really looking forward to getting some range time with it.

Back