• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Pietta"s cap size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SliXshot are THE way to go. I have one good sized pill bottle full of Pietta factory nipples, & another of Uberti...#10 Remington caps are a perfect fit when pushed on with a wooden dowel, instead of my fat fingers.

CCI #10 are nowhere near the same as Remington #10, CCI 10's are tiny. They are the only caps that will work on my Colt 2nd Gen Pocket Navy unless I pinch and finesse some Rem 10's onto the nipples.

To further muddy the waters it even seems like caps made in different time periods or different lots can vary a little in size.

I had a tin of older CCI #11 Magnums that did not fit nipples that a brand new can of CCI #11 Magnums do

It's beyond confusing. I was at the point where I was about to start taking a jewelers file and filing down a few dozen CCI #11 caps to fit on my Dragoon nipples which need a Remington #10 but I haven't gotten that bored yet.

I have never replaced the factory nipples on any of my reproduction revolvers. I have no problems using Remington #10s. I've been shooting them in competition for a decade.

IMG_7246.JPG

colt.JPG

Steve

I have always bought them from Cabela's.
Cabela's is pretty limited in its presence around the country, so for most, Remington #10s are effectively non-existent. You're the only person who seems fortunate enough to find them.

CCI #11s seem to be about the most common--or frequently the only--caps people can find 90% of the time. That seems to be why the so many buy aftermarket nipples.

There seems to be some variation in Pietta parts' sizes. We don't discuss conversion cylinders here, but the reason there are no more such cylinders being made for the Pietta M1860 Army is that there was size variation in the percussion pistols and the makers of the cylinders couldn't keep up a standard. (Per answer to my inquiry from Taylor's & Co.)

There seems to be some variation in Pietta parts' sizes. We don't discuss conversion cylinders here, but the reason there are no more such cylinders being made for the Pietta M1860 Army is that there was size variation in the percussion pistols and the makers of the cylinders couldn't keep up a standard. (Per answer to my inquiry from Taylor's & Co.)
This was my answer as well for the same thing. I went down that rabbit whole a while back

Cabela's is pretty limited in its presence around the country, so for most, Remington #10s are effectively non-existent. You're the only person who seems fortunate enough to find them.
Even Cabela's rarely has them. They had a spurt about 2 months ago and I picked up 5 tins locally. Mail order is the only real option for most people, and they have been pretty much unavailable in any size from usual commercial outlets for 2 years now.

Midway USA currently has CCI #10s available.

Replacement nipples for Pietta and Uberti are not the same. Slixshot sells sets of nipples to fit either one. I am trying to determine the thread size on my Replica Arms 1861 Navy. Here's a numpty question. How do you determine the thread size on these nipples?

Back