• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Pietta"s cap size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using pinched CCI #11's on my new Piettas.

They work great , more so because I can get CCI #11's at Dunham's. I'm not using my precious Rem #10s when the CCI #11 I have 1000s of work fine.

1000s of rounds fired through my 5 newer Piettas with pinched #11's, no problems . They fit nice and tight, and I haven't had one fall off.

Quality control? Sounds like a few guns possibly left the factory with metric nipples. But then again metric only applies to the female threads and hole sizes doesn't it? Metric or American, the nipple cones should be either #10s or #11s. Someone care to comment on that?

Most people who are serious about actually using these guns immediately discard the junk factory nipples on Pietta and Uberti revolvers and put Tresos, TOTW, Slixshot or other brands

However, it's still frustrating because I bought 12 TotW nipples for my pair of Walkers that are supposed to fit CCI #11, and they still don't. So I'll have to Jewelers rouge them down until #11 is a snug fit

Pietta just makes a functional nipple that's probably nominally sized for Remington #10 caps, because they used to be easily obtainable and were the universal "revolver cap" .

Now we're all scratching out whatever caps we can find that will fit any kind of nipple so we can shoot these guns

CCI 10 caps being too small for the stock nipples is nothing new - been the case for years. Some guys get by with seating them with a hard dowel push or controlled hammer drop but my attempt at that still lead to a lot of misfires. 11's always needed a pinch to stay on. Remington 10's are still the best fit
nothing changed here in my experience.

Get replacement nipples for the primer caps you are using. TOTW good start.
If nipple to big of diameter put them in drill and size them for the caps.
Pinching to fit not great idea. Leaves gaps for hot gases to get in.
Seems quality control has dropped the ball.

The Remmington #10's are probably the correct sized cap. The RWS 1075 cap is slightly smaller than the CCI #11 cap and may fit better.
Remington #10s and RWS 1075s seem to be effectively non-existent anymore, so quite frankly...
I believe you'll be much happier if you replace your factory nipples with SliXshot nipples. They really do preform well.
...it's best to just get the aftermarket nipples to accommodate CCI #11s, which seem to be the only caps even still being manufactured.

I don't think either Pietta or Uberti come with nipples that fit any available caps. That's probably a big reason why Slixsprings nipples are on the market.

Maybe these two manufacturers are trying to make nipples that are half-assed fits for all caps so that they can at least partially accommodate a few types.
it must be recent cause my old pistols made by them no 10 caps fit perfect

Latest posts

Back