• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Pietta does not state size of caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received a new-in-the-box Pietta '58 from Taylors today. There is nothing in the manual that states the size cap to use. Taylor hasn't responded yet but I'm sure they will soon. Any clue if they come with nipples for #11's or #10's and do they tend to prefer a brand?

I use nothing but Rem #10’s on my Pietta, but it’s because it’s all I could get to work on my ROA. ToTW states their designed for CCI non magnum #11’s but I can’t find a tin locally so I don’t want to order ten online to see. With that said I’d think they’re likely to work equally well.

Try a tin of 11's, You may have to pinch they to stay on, mainly the cynliders other chambers not being fired. If that is the case you need #10 caps. That way you can be sure about ordering a larger order of #10s.
Shoot and enjoy!

Majority of revolvers are #10.
I got a stainless 58 and was told #11. I also ordered a spare cylinder. So I got several cans of #11... Surprise. They fit the spare cylinder but the original (with gun) takes #10. A real PITA!

ROA, all the Pietta (Colt, Remington, Spiller&Burr etc inox or not), Pedersoli, Ardesa/Traditions, Jukar, Dikar Remington Artax, all what I have is perfectly working with caps RWS 1075 except the Sharps 59/63 : RWS 1081 (for muskets)...
The nipples are Pietta, Ardesa, Uberti (fort the Artax) and no difference between one or another...
What's the important in the different size between #10 ou #11 ...... ?

In my humble opinion a tight fit is what you need so as to prevent chain fire. Be it #10 or #11 if it fits the nipple tightly you should be good. My Pietta takes #10 nicely.
Could be, perhaps, never seen only one chain fire during my bit more than sixty years of shooting (64 this year). I think the more important is ti get the rear of the cylinder clean and more : have nipples a right size hole and never olds and destroyed like I see that every day at the range... :(

Could be, perhaps, never seen only one chain fire during my bit more than sixty years of shooting (64 this year). I think the more important is ti get the rear of the cylinder clean and more : have nipples a right size hole and never olds and destroyed like I see that every day at the range... :(
I agree, Keep it clean and fresh. BTW I love your signature statement 😄. We need them back.

I like to get aftermarket nipples like treso made for the easier to get #11s.. I have always been told that the factory nipples are hit or miss when it comes to consistency.

What's the difference between 10s and 11s besides cap skirt length?

wm
look for "every thing you wanted to know" further down in this section. There is a complete explaination of caps, cones and measurements. Twenty some odd pages of solid gold.
Bunk

Try a tin of 11's, You may have to pinch they to stay on, mainly the cynliders other chambers not being fired. If that is the case you need #10 caps. That way you can be sure about ordering a larger order of #10s.
Shoot and enjoy!

I even pinch the #10's a little, and slightly press them on with a wood dowel. I want them tight to prevent chain fires and yes sometimes I have to pry a spent cap off.

Back