• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Pedersoli Rust in Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thWisCoG

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just acquired a new Pedersoli P53 Enfield... I anticipated factory oil/grease removal, first patch I send down to clean the new barrel comes out with rust. Don't know why it's there, I know rifles in Italy must pass a bench test before shipping, perhaps the gun was tested and not cleaned and what remains is black powder residue that caused some light rusting... I dunno, but what is the best way to remove the rust inside the barrel?

Take a look down in the barrel with a flashlight to see what you’re dealing with. When I sent a patch down my Pedersoli shotgun it came back brownish, maybe the grease they use is a little rusty colored.

I agree. I just bought a Pedersoli and the factory oil looks like rust. Did you get all the oil cleaned out? It takes some work to get to snow white patches.

What are you using to remove the oil?

If the barrel is blued then the color on your patch is just the surface residue from the blueing process. It is harmless.

Could be just old oil or whatever they use.
I bought a new old stock rifle a while back and I found some kind of red stuff in the barrel. It wasn't rust. Cleaned it up and it shoots fine.

Thanks for talking me off the edge fellas, breathing easier now... I think its just dried oil or grease from the factory (or from the bluing), looking down the barrel with a flash light shows no rust.

I have been using Ballistol, have run about 10 patches down and the patches look better but more work to be done... maybe I will give it a good soak of Ballistol overnight and then try to patch it out tomorrow...

Try some solvent like “Shooters Choice “ and that color will quickly come out.
Using “Ballistol” will give you color on your patches as you can read on many threads here.

My guns right out of the box always get pumped thoroughly with a hot soapy water followed with dry patches, then alcohol to further dry it out. Then Ballistol. That brown is the packing oils they use at the factory.

We need PICS of the new Enfield btw! :)

I just recieved my Pedersoli LGPR flinter early this week. I am having some rusty staining to the patches, ran a handful of patches with Hoppes bore cleaner down, still lightly stained. I am not concerned. I will shoot it in a few days and then give it my normal thorough cleaning and am sure it will be lily white clean at that time.

I always get all the factory oil out of barrel Snow white patches. Otherwise, you bake it in when you shoot it the first time. Sometimes it takes me 50 patches to get some of it clean. It depends on gun make. I believe it's a petroleum and shouldn't be left in.

I never found any gun cleaner that would get it out. I always had to go with a strong solvent like brake cleaner, carb cleaner etc. Get it clean with Hoppe's or some other cleaner until you get white patches then run a patch with carb cleaner and watch the patch come out loaded with oil.

All the Pedersoli's have have owned has a brown stain in the bore. As someone else said above, it must be the color of the oil/grease they use in the bores.

Pedersoli ships their guns with some kind of nasty preservitive in the bore. It took a brass brush, brake cleaner and about 60rds fired to get mine completely free of it.

Chris

A few months back I ordered an Armisport 1861 from DGW. I shined the light down the bore and saw it was caked in rust, and the exterior of the barrel was rusted as well. Could have been it was test fired in Italy and then never swabbed out.

Clean it with GOJO Hand Cleaner, the one WITHOUT Pumice in it. This is what i use to get Grease, Oil, Lube out of my Barrels. Think about how well it works on your Hands to Cut Grease/Oil/Grime away, It does the Same thing in your Barrel. I use Foaming Engine Degreaser as well, But prefer GOJO Hand Cleaner

Italian guns use a preservative made by Vavoline. When it dries out it’s like varnish. Some guns purchased could have been made several years ago. No current bore cleaners will remove it, especially soap and water. The only thing I found to work is REAL MEK, bronze scrub brush and elbow grease. Leaving it there will not hurt accuracy or the bore. It is microscopic. By the way, current MEK at the hardware stores is a substitute, it is ineffective. You need to find the real stuff.

ALSO REMOVE THE BARREL FROM THE STOCK. MEK WILL DESTROY THE FINISH.

First patch on the left, about 40 patches later got it clean.
The winner was Windex with Vinegar, once I started putting those patches down it cleaned up in about 5 patches. I tried Ballestol, CLP, Brake Cleaner, these didn't really make much difference.

rust.jpg

The winner was Windex with Vinegar, once I started putting those patches down it cleaned up in about 5 patches. I tried Ballestol, CLP, Brake Cleaner, these didn't really make much difference.

View attachment 74336
Looks like you got er done. I've been using windex myself. I think it's a good cleaner.

View attachment 74336
Just as an experiment. Now that you're getting clean patches. Try the brake cleaner one more time and see if it brings up anything.

Latest posts

Back