• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New owner to a muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newguy1997

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a first time owner of a muzzleloader I just got off of an auction and I’m a bit confused on some thing. If you can help me out I’d appreciate it!

Anyways from what I know from the barrel that this muzzleloader is a TCA Flintlock 45 cal. I haven’t found much or any information at all about this rifle. I don’t know the value or anything. The rifle is in good condition and the stock is in a slightly used state. The serial number on this thing is K135591. Is this a pretty old rifle? Is it valuable? It’s got two triggers on it. Anyways thank you all and have a nice day

Attachments

• 9AFE9E6F-D897-4394-8B46-E5839FF41771.jpeg
    9AFE9E6F-D897-4394-8B46-E5839FF41771.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 148
Howdy, and welcome! While your new gun is not particularly valuable beyond the price of what they cost new, congrats on the new gun! CVA is still around and they probably still make that gun.

Provided it is in alright shape, learn the exact procedure for safe use of a gun->muzzleloader->flintlock and welcome to the hobby/lifestyle/obsession!

You have a Thompson/Center (T/C) rifle. It was assembled from a kit, (K) in the serial number. Agewise, it was made in the mid to late 1980's. The trigger is standard, with the rear "set" trigger, which makes the front trigger easier to pull. I t can be fired two ways. Using just the front trigger, it will fire but requires more force to pull the trigger. Or, "set" the rear trigger and have a easier pull on the front trigger.
In my T/C .45 percussion rifle, I use for target practice, 50 grains FFFg black powder, 0.010" prelubed patch and a .440 roundball.
Have fun with your newly acquired rifle. If you can find them, black English flints work quite well.

The rifle in your picture, @Newguy1997, is a Thompson/Center Hawken. The K in the serial number indicates that it was a kit and was assembled into the rifle you now own. The T/C Hawkens were made from about 1970. Any serial number dating was lost in a fire at the T/C factory. I would place your rifle in the late 1970's for an approximate date. Is it valuable? Based on it being a kit rifle and that it is a common muzzle loading rifle and depending on the local demand for such a rifle, its value is in the neighborhood of $250 to $500 for a rifle in exceptional condition. It is a flint lock, which adds a little bit to the value. As flint lock, be sure to only use black powder and none of the substitutes for black powder. The long flash channel of a T/C flint lock Hawken rifle and the high ignition temperature of the substitutes rule out their use in your rifle.

It will be a lot of fun to shoot and if the barrel is in good shape can be quite accurate with a 0.440" patched with a lubricated 0.015" cotton patch. The two triggers are known as double set triggers. The rear trigger will set (load up a spring) for the front trigger to release the hammer. Also the front trigger can release the hammer either set or unset with a higher trigger pull.

Welcome, from Pa............. You need a book or two. Go to the NMLRA website , and order the book Filntlocks , by Eric Bye. Or something like that. That'll git ya on fire ta start with. One piece good advice , Never leave a thick book like this one in the out house , folks not interested in m/l might use some of the pages ,of course from not knowin' it's important. ............oldwood

Congratulations on your find and for joining the forum. :)

Here is a link to the Thompson Center Hawken Owners Manual. It is in pdf form so you might need adobe to read it although most modern computers and phones already have a pdf reader built into them.
Click on the link. When it opens, use "save" or "save as new file" to store it.

https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/manuals/Hawken_Manual.pdf

Welcome from Florida. I gotta laugh at myself and enjoy my sense of humor. I took a quick look at your picture and hurriedly blew it up to a larger pic. Me: " Dang that's a wonderful idea how they used a sniper scope on that thing. Wow an old brass scope from way back. Gee I wonder what that's worth?" Then I noticed it was the chair leg. Big dummy!

Last edited:
Find your local bp club, and get some 1 on 1 instruction; it will save you a lot of time and frustration while you get started. Most of the folks don't bite, and will get you on the path to rightiousness quickly.

It's a constant source of wonderment to read how often this happens when buying a used M/L-er.

I guess it's the free and easy attitude most folks have when there are so few strictures on just walking out and letting loose with a gun. Long may it last. :)

Welcome to the forum and get ready for an interesting and very rewarding hobby! This is the forum to ask questions and get expert answers to them.:thumb:

It's a constant source of wonderment to read how often this happens when buying a used M/L-er.

I guess it's the free and easy attitude most folks have when there are so few strictures on just walking out and letting loose with a gun. Long may it last. :)
Historically, the rifle was always left loaded as a necessity to be able to shoot the rifle quickly mattered. As the country became more settled, the loaded firearm was forgotten and 200 years later that loaded firearm has passed through several generations of owners. Even with a relatively new muzzle loader (or unmentionable), it is still a good practice to check to see if it is loaded and to get a first indication of the condition of the barrel.

Back