• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Orleans Ace pistol problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaDingle

32 Cal
Reaction score
I got a New Orleans Ace pistol but I can’t unscrew the barrel any tips on how to unscrew it

Try a padded adjustable wrench on the receiver flats, and a curved jaw vice grip plier padded with a very thick piece of leather. Removing the barrel sure makes cleaning the Ace easier!

I'd run some type of "liquid wrench" down the barrel and let it set a while. I have good luck with a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone, then try as others have said with padded vice, etc.

You might also try heating the breech end with a heat gun. Not sure I would want to use a torch or get it too hot.

They are meant to unscrew easily, but I am not sure if they are a true "screw barrel" pistol as they came with a ramrod. Never tried loading mine that way as you would with some screw barrels.

Dixie actually still stocks the kits.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...H1305+Classic+Arms+New+Orleans+Ace+Pistol+Kit

They are not a screw barrel pistol and should not be treated as one. The barrel should only be removed when absolutely necessary much the same as the breech plug in a rifle.

They are not a screw barrel pistol and should not be treated as one. The barrel should only be removed when absolutely necessary much the same as the breech plug in a rifle.
I agree.
The New Orleans Ace pistols are not a real "screw barrel pistol".
They are meant to be loaded from the muzzle like other muzzleloading guns and except for doing some sort of repairing, there is no good reason for removing their barrel.

My two NO Aces unscrew by hand and I always unscrew them to clean them out thoroughly.

I made a lead jawed pipe wrench to tackle tough jobs like this, though my Aces have never given me trouble.

how hard can it be to clean one? common! unscrew the barrels. as stated they are not a screw barreled gun. take the grips off and put it under your sink Forsett and VIOLA!

Latest posts

Back