• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Old Penny Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44-henry

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Every once in awhile it seems like nothing goes right on a particular project. This is one of them. I started off with the intent of making one of my standard style penny knifes with a cherry handle and milk paint finish and all was going well up till I started to rivet the blade in the handle, long story short the handle tang split and in my frustration I might have accidentally flung the knife into the wall of my shop. Anyways, after I recovered I realized that I while the split could have easily been repaired, the damage to the rest of the handle caused by its sudden stop against the wall, was going to be a bit more difficult to fix. So, not wanting to concede defeat I decided to see what more I could do with it. Though I will admit that it was fun to do, it actually took considerably more time to do than it would have taken to just build a new one from scratch. Still, it is a perfectly functional knife that will probably live out the rest of its days in my possibles bag. Thanks for looking.

Penny%20Knife%20Aged%204.jpg

Penny%20Knife%20Aged.jpg

Penny%20Knife%20Aged%202.jpg

Penny%20Knife%20Aged%203.jpg

2016-01-212017.44.52.jpg

When things are going a bit better for me this is what they normally come out looking like.

pennyknifeopen.jpg

Splendid!

If you are not happy with any of your "mistakes", I will gladly provide my address and cover the cost of shipping. :haha:

Dang! Wish my name was Angus Johnson, then you could just send me that mistake! I actually like the "patina" look better. Looks like it's been in your shooting pouch for years.
Sometimes, the mistakes aren't too bad.
Ed

I really think the aged one is much more interesting than the (nicely made) shiny one. Very well done. A little lamp black rubbed into the crevices and bands followed by multiple coats of linseed oil burnished to a smooth shine...and off to the antique show with it. :wink:

Smollett

Both knives look great :thumbsup:

Like the artist Bob Ross, the guy with the afro hair do used to say: "There are no mistakes, only happy little accidents." :idunno:

Back