• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New, old kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been bored this winter, been cold and snow. I have been busy making and repairing bee hives the most of winter. I got stuck on this forum and probably mouthed off too much.
I came across Deer Creek on-line and saw they had a traditions 45 caliber kit. I wasn't expecting much for 315 bucks, but I ordered it anyway.
Now, it is nothing great and the flintlock is a tinny looking affair, but the rest was acceptable due to the price. I have an old L&R lock that looks like will fit. The wood has somewhat appealing grain.
This kit looks like a CVA percussion kit I first bought in 1973. That kit had a Douglass barrel which I still have.
Have any of you messed with these inexpensive kits in these days and times?

Yes. I bought one for my grandson, that he and I assembled a couple years ago. His is a Frontier rifle IIRC. Its flintlock. The kit can be assembled in a weekend or two if you don't do any add ons or modifications. Its not a bad shooter, but its a dinky little gun and probably meant more for a kid than an adult. The only thing I don't like about them are A. the lock is much too small, and the lilttle 5/8ths flints are a pain to position in the jaws, and B. the touch hole is drilled into the back of the bore in such a way that it is more like a separate chamber in an of itself. Kinda hard to explain but if you shine a light down the bore and stick a pipe cleaner into the touch hole, you will see where the touch hole enters the back of the bore in a small hole. The breech is stepped down similarly to that of my GPR, however with the Traditions its a small hole. So basically when you load the Traditions, powder has to settle into this small hole so the priming can then ignite it. It works but to me seems ridiculous to have a small separate chamber that has to take the flame after the priming goes off instead of entering right into the main charge. My GPR's stepped breech is large so the main charge settles right there quickly. The Traditions I can see might have issues if powder where to bunch up first and not allow any into this small opening. A bad design IMO. But, the gun does work, and it shoots well. Overall, I consider Traditions guns to be good starter guns, but for serious muzzle loading, there are much better choices. Of course you will pay more for the better quality guns but sometimes its just worth it in the long run to do so.

Last edited:
The barrel will have a patented breech plug design that is very difficult to remove so, leave the area that the vent is in alone. It is shown in the sketch below as a New CVA Style.

NOCKS-BREECH.jpg

The stock wood is Beech and its tight grain will not absorb any type of oil based stain so, use a water based or alcohol based stain or shoe dye to stain it.

There was a time when these rifles locks were very poor but they were redesigned in the '80's and 90's and are much better than the older ones.

All in all, these rifles are pretty good and the barrels are known for their accuracy.

Have fun with it. :)

Thanks for the info, I know by the price it couldn't be much. the touch hole does concern me a bit. I actually purchased this with a young lady in mind. I am going to install L&R lock and maybe (maybe) one of the double set triggers I have on hand. I have the modifications I am thinking about in the parts bin. Spring has broke here and the gardens, bees, mushrooms, plus spring repairs are on the priority list. I Haven't had time to study if one of my old barrels will work.
I am surprised that the lock will actually spark, the springs look week and the craftsmanship on the original frizzen looks like a daub of Weld on the rocker shaft. I am not knocking this kit, I more or less just wanted to see what I could do with it.

Latest posts

Back