• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New old guy here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a brief history on me. I'm 74 and since I got out of the Army in 1969 I never went back to hunting with a modern firearm, only black powder. I was able to hunt til only a few years ago when my 1968 wounds started catching up with me. But I sure showed a lot of hunters what you could do with either a PRB, or when I broke out my .58 H&H barreled underhammer pushing out mini's I built in the 70s. I called the barrel progressive rifling, but I guess the right term was chocked. Just so you all know, I can't spell worth a damn.

Justin just jogged my brain, I should have mentioned I've been trapped in lousy New York all my life. My Dad is from Mo. and all my cousins are there. This state is good for hunting though, upstate deer and bear. Ducks and Geese less than 6 miles away in the bay.

Just a brief history on me. I'm 74 and since I got out of the Army in 1969 I never went back to hunting with a modern firearm, only black powder. I was able to hunt til only a few years ago when my 1968 wounds started catching up with me. But I sure showed a lot of hunters what you could do with either a PRB, or when I broke out my .58 H&H barreled underhammer pushing out mini's I built in the 70s. I called the barrel progressive rifling, but I guess the right term was chocked. Just so you all know, I can't spell worth a damn.
Welcome fellow ground pounder. I did four (75-79) in 2/58 inf. Like you, I know how to shoot alot of production killing tools but nothing is quite as nice as shooting something made from steel and wood and building it yourself. I have a Pedersoli .45 flintlock and an original 1862 Bridesberg that I brought back from the dead to working and presentable conditions. (There's a build blog on this page called "Bridesberg Resurrection" some good photos of the whole build if you're interested.)
Neil from Maryland

Welcome from an Army vet ( 59 -61)in Mesa ,Az. Can't hunt any more ,just provide my kids,grandkids & great grand kids with the arms they need for their hunts.

Welcome from an Army vet ( 59 -61)in Mesa ,Az. Can't hunt any more ,just provide my kids,grandkids & great grand kids with the arms they need for their hunts.
Tom, Both Son's hunted with me. When I had to stop they did also. But I did teach them the skills and they will never go hungry. Nothing but grand daughters, I have to last long enough to at least pass on some knowledge to them!

Back