• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new old guy from Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMackc

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well, I decided to see what other older muzzleloader codgers are doing nowadays. Saw this on my search engine for muzzleloading forums, looked good!
I got into muzzleloading back in the mid 1970s when I lived in the Texas Panhandle. I had just completed my Gunsmithing training when the 1968 new firearms law went in effect, and had received my FFL. I ordered a CVA mountain rifle kit from a north texas wholesaler as a kit, the serial number on the barrel is 000700. Built it up and started shooting it. Have had the old rifle in the safe for the last 20 years, I clean and oil it annually, did it last week, showed it to a new shooting friend, and he wants one. I got out my possibles bag, checked our everything and my 30 year old Goex FFg powder won't even burn with a match! I ordered some Hodgdon Tripple 7 powder and need to know if it measures the same as Goex FFG. I used a maximum load of 100 Grains of Goex according to my old range dope,
hopeI get some replies.

Thanks for having me here

Welcome from North Central Texas.
Lots of us here got started back in them days.
Bought my first revolver in 74, a Rogers and Spencer.
First Kentucky in 75. Would still have it but it wound up having a lemon barrel. Found a guy that had same but decided he didn't like BP and couldn't pass up 100 for a finished rifle.
Built a Hawken 45 early 80s and shot the barrel out. Just put a 50 on it.
Still have the Rogers and Spencer and it still shoots well.

Sitting here just east of Dallas a little ways. Glad to have another old codger getting into the muzzleloading.

Welcome from North Central Texas, you will find this is an excellent site for resources and information. And to answer your question about using Triple 7...the measurement is the same as Blackpowder, so 100 Grains of Triple 7 will work using a volume measure. Note! The difference is in the weight measurement.

Welcome! I think I might be one of the younger guys on here, but this is a great resource for information and witty banter!

Well, I decided to see what other older muzzleloader codgers are doing nowadays. Saw this on my search engine for muzzleloading forums, looked good!
I got into muzzleloading back in the mid 1970s when I lived in the Texas Panhandle. I had just completed my Gunsmithing training when the 1968 new firearms law went in effect, and had received my FFL. I ordered a CVA mountain rifle kit from a north texas wholesaler as a kit, the serial number on the barrel is 000700. Built it up and started shooting it. Have had the old rifle in the safe for the last 20 years, I clean and oil it annually, did it last week, showed it to a new shooting friend, and he wants one. I got out my possibles bag, checked our everything and my 30 year old Goex FFg powder won't even burn with a match! I ordered some Hodgdon Tripple 7 powder and need to know if it measures the same as Goex FFG. I used a maximum load of 100 Grains of Goex according to my old range dope,
hopeI get some replies.

Your powder must've been wet at some time, extensively. Even Civil War artillery shells will ignite if the powder had not been soaked over decades. Neat that you're tutoring a "newby"!

About the powder getting wet, it has been in the metal powder flask for over 30 years at least, in the gun safe. I had forgotten it was still in there, I emptyed the powderhorn when I took it offen the mandle when we moved here in 1997.
Yeah the "Newby" guy is 6X years old, just started drawing his "Sociable Security".
The CVA Mountain Rifle
IMG_0188.JPG

hopeI get some replies.

powder won't even burn with a match!

The powder should have been good, unless it has been wet sometime in it's life. I still shoot Geox I have had since 1972. I kept at least 25 pounds in the shop in the shop when the popularity was at a high.
I have seen Douglas barrels on the early CVA rifles, I have one on a cap lock, that was an ill prepared kit. I took it down and reworked the craftsmanship, I like it better than the Thompson Centers I have, both factory and kits, however can't complain about the Spanish barrels. They seem to perform as well.

sawyer04, it was strange to me too, The powder came out of the powder flask normally, it was still nice granules and black. Here is a picture of the barrel
IMG_0191.JPG

Welcome from North Central Texas.
Lots of us here got started back in them days.
Bought my first revolver in 74, a Rogers and Spencer.
First Kentucky in 75. Would still have it but it wound up having a lemon barrel. Found a guy that had same but decided he didn't like BP and couldn't pass up 100 for a finished rifle.
Built a Hawken 45 early 80s and shot the barrel out. Just put a 50 on it.
Still have the Rogers and Spencer and it still shoots well.
Hey! I, too, had a R&S about that same time. Sold it, but couple years ago found one in like new condition at a local auction; got it for about $275. Am going to get one of the conversion cylinders for it also. Date code says it was made in 1988. They're a hefty handful, and not real comfortable grip shape, but it love it.

Hey! I, too, had a R&S about that same time. Sold it, but couple years ago found one in like new condition at a local auction; got it for about $275. Am going to get one of the conversion cylinders for it also. Date code says it was made in 1988. They're a hefty handful, and not real comfortable grip shape, but it love it.

You got a steal of a deal from what I've seen. Have seen just a cylinder go for near that. Mines not NIB but at least a few years ago I was able to reblue it. It will still fling balls though. Took many a squirrel, rabbit and varmint with it.

You got a steal of a deal from what I've seen. Have seen just a cylinder go for near that. Mines not NIB but at least a few years ago I was able to reblue it. It will still fling balls though. Took many a squirrel, rabbit and varmint with it.
More on the auction; there was a bunch of muzzleloading stuff from a guy retiring; there was a big tool box, and under the lift-out tray was my minty R&S revolver; the auctioneer
didn't even know it was there!!! After assuring him it didn't need paperwork, I left a bid and got it! Yes, the conversion cylinders go for around $240., but well worth it for cowboy ammo shooting. Thanks!

Back