• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Old Contest; Back to the Basics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Subject: New old contest; back to the basics.

Greetings all. As Jethro has been absent doing real life chores I thought I'd try my hand at a contest! To be fair and honest, I am using one of his tried and true contests for my first one. This contest will run through the month of February. I will post scores in early March once I have received all submissions.
Signed: Adui

The rules are as follows:

Take 5 Shots at the center of a standard 8.5" x 11" sheet of typing/printer paper with an X drawn thru the center.

Shoot at a distance of 25 yards.

If you miss, do not try again. Misses count!

One target entry per member.

5 shots per target, hit or miss.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified.

No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading firearms (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock, matchlock or wheel lock ignition.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (A patchless ball may be used if so desired.)

Shots will be taken off-hand at the stated distance.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso).
(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.
No part of the "prop-rod" may touch the ground.)

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

The center of the target will be determined by the judge.

Scores will be the accumulated distances of the 5 shots from the center of the X. Low score wins.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name must be written on your targets.

Submissions must be postmarked no later than February 28th 2018 to be counted.

Please mail your targets to:

Terry Stephens AKA Adui
9043 E Butternut Ave
Mesa AZ 85208

(I posted this contest for Adui.
Beyond that I have nothing to do with it so don't ask me any questions about it.
It's his game. :)
Zonie )

Zonie & Adui,
:bow: Thanks for picking up the target range (so to say). This topic is one of the main reasons I'd frequented this forum. It gives one a reason to get out and shoot. I shoot on several sites postal shoots. I had a thought that might make it easier for the moderator for the topic. It's enough they have to score the targets. So rather than have to create all the matches, why not have the shooters make the game. Whoever wins Januarys' shoot, has to come up with the shoot/target for three months later. Jan winner does April; Feb does May; March does June etc. The match info for target, special rules etc are sent to Adui who will tweak if if he feels it needs tweaked. This way it's the members shoot in the :hmm: American way: :patriot: "Of the Members, by the members, for the members!" My now defunct local ML club had a saying. "If we thunk it, we kin shoot it. Let's play!" :rotf: :2

Mad Irish Jack ODonnell said:
Zonie & Adui,
:bow: Thanks for picking up the target range (so to say). This topic is one of the main reasons I'd frequented this forum. It gives one a reason to get out and shoot. I shoot on several sites postal shoots.
You are most welcome, however I must freely admit this is a bit of an experiment for me. If I enjoy it as much as I think I will and I can keep up I fully intend to continue till Jethro returns to us. (And after if he wants me to)

I had a thought that might make it easier for the moderator for the topic. It's enough they have to score the targets. So rather than have to create all the matches, why not have the shooters make the game. Whoever wins Januarys' shoot, has to come up with the shoot/target for three months later. Jan winner does April; Feb does May; March does June etc. The match info for target, special rules etc are sent to Adui who will tweak if if he feels it needs tweaked. This way it's the members shoot in the :hmm: American way: :patriot: "Of the Members, by the members, for the members!" My now defunct local ML club had a saying. "If we thunk it, we kin shoot it. Let's play!" :rotf: :2

I like it! :thumbsup: Id be happy to entertain this idea as well! So, I will come up with a March shoot and an April, since this is technically the February shoot. Then you guys can send me ideas and Ill run with them.
As a side note, any time a winner doesn't want to / cant come up with an idea I can fill in with something.

Final thoughts :doh: What have I gotten my self into this time :rotf:

Ames said:
I'm scared to shoot against this guy. I cant beat him. :cursing: But I love the winner picks the contest idea. Fantastic! I'm in!

Aww there's nuttin' to be afraid of! Though I did once hear he could put the eye out of a bird flying; or was that that feller from Unforgiven?? Cant recall

I think it's good for the winner to run the next shot. I'll get in on this match.

Thanks for putting one on again. Have really enjoyed them since I've started.

Another.... :hmm: FINAL THOUGHT,...NOT. :wink: Did you think to yourself(or have someone else tell you) Assume the Position! or did you just unknowingly assume the position. Or assume the position thinking the members might have something to say about it???? :idunno: Well, for one member, me, All I want to say is THANK YOU MUCH!!!! :applause: Please don't be blinded by the white smoke 'n' snickerin. It's a good thing that comes with the job. Hoozah!!!

Another.... :hmm: FINAL THOUGHT,...NOT. :wink: Did you think to yourself(or have someone else tell you) Assume the Position! or did you just unknowingly assume the position. Or assume the position thinking the members might have something to say about it???? :idunno: Well, for one member, me, All I want to say is THANK YOU MUCH!!!! :applause: Please don't be blinded by the white smoke 'n' snickerin. It's a good thing that comes with the job. Hoozah!!!

Well, either I foolishly volunteered; (most likely) Or when they asked for volunteers from my Division (old navy days) everyone else took a step back..

Either way you are welcome! (Someone had to do it; right?)

Don't give up hope. I bought a fowler last year, and I hit the right powder charge, patch size and ball size, on the first combo.

Blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally!

Thanks for doing this again, my target will be in the mail Monday, its not great but would put food on the table.
Hermit

That was fast for as far as it is from here to you.
As long as there is no change with the cal. type s.b. rifle limits etc. I will be able to enter these shoots. as s.b. is all I have.
Hermit

Latest posts

Back