• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylecdennis

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all. Very informative forum here I really enjoy. I have experience with new in line ML but not percussion rifles. I want to buy a rifle to deer hunt with. I want to shoot round balls. My question is what rifle should I buy? What twist shout my barrel have? Slower twist like 1:66? Have seen a lot of Hawken style rifles for sale like TC CVA Lyman and many others. Budget 400 or less. Any info is greatly appreciated

1 in 66 might be a preferred twist for roundball but you should be able to use a 1 in 48 easily. Don't know what it's like where you're from but unless ordering online, .50 is about the only caliber you can find stuff for in my neck of the woods. If you can find much.

Thank you for the replies. .50 caliber is what I was thinking just because of the availability. This is for hunting not competition. I just need a nice consistent shooting gun up to 100 yards. I know it will take some experimenting with different loads parched and bullets. Thanks again guys

Are you wanting new or used. CVA no longer has sidelocks. Traditions is probably the cheapest for new. Still a good reliable gun. As stated 1/66 is where you want but it doesn't have to be 1/66. There are other twists that will work but 1/66 being the most common for RBs.

It doesn’t have to be new as long as the gun is in great shape. Any thoughts on the best place to buy a gun with the characteristics you guys suggest? Also are there any guns to absolutely stay away from? Thanks again guys

Hi,
Always happy to have a new member.
The older CVA's and Traditions most always have questionable locks.
Their springs are not the best.
Lyman and Interarms have good guns and they work well.
If you wish to hunt, it is hard to beat a .54 or .58 cal., those calibers buck the wind better, and have good whompability ( new word )
No muzzle loader is complete without a good powder horn ( a personal piece of pride and recognition ) and a melting pot and bullet mold ( they pay for themselves in short order. Have you priced a box of round balls recently ? Bullets are even much more costly !)
Also knocking down your game with your muzzle loader and bullets you cast yourself is really rewarding.
Buying just a muzzle loading gun is like going skydiving without a parachute.
Fred

Hello all. Very informative forum here I really enjoy. I have experience with new in line ML but not percussion rifles. I want to buy a rifle to deer hunt with. I want to shoot round balls. My question is what rifle should I buy? What twist shout my barrel have? Slower twist like 1:66? Have seen a lot of Hawken style rifles for sale like TC CVA Lyman and many others. Budget 400 or less. Any info is greatly appreciated
There’s some of the auction sights like GB out there. The only problem is, ya really don’t know who your dealing with in reference to truthfulness or knowledge on their part.

Buying used can be risky? Personally been burnt more than once. Bore condition is everything on these. The classifieds here on the forum are pretty good for the most part. To many trained eyes, coupled with knowledge can spot inaccuracies in claims and descriptions. Knowledge of going price compared to Sellers price is important to know? Knowledge and patience is the most important thing when buying a muzzleloader. Do your homework and ask questions?

Lastly, If you haven’t found one yet, I personally have one in either .50 or .54 that would meet your budget requirements. I’m not trying to sell and won’t list these in the classified’s. Just want to see you get started off on the right foot with something that’s desirable, solid and dependable. My motive is to see a new member learn and grow amongst the rest of us.

In closing, Welcome aboard my friend and good luck.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Generally, a twist of from 1-48" up does well with prb in .50. Percussion locks are simple and the imported ones are no exception.

You should be able to get a decent gun within your budget. Twist rate will determine if PRB is going to shoot well or not. As stated, slower than 1:48, with 1:66 is better.

Past that, don't get hung up on using tons of powder, most guns will shoot very, very well in the 50-70gr range and more powder can become counterproductive. Get a really accurate, repeatable load and practice, practice, practice.

Try Craiglist also for your state they might have something for you.

Look for rust around the nipple, some clean the barrel but not the rest of the rifle. Look in the cup on the hammer (the part that strikes the cap) people who care for their rifles make sure the black powder is removed from that area. If a hooked breach, pull the barrel and check the underside for rust etc. And as stated prior, run a "tight" patch down the bore. Push the wood rod with your fingertips, they feel vibration better. If you feel roughness in the bore, pass it by or ask the seller if you can clean the bore then check again. If you feel a tight area then a loose area look for another rifle. I have bought many great rifles on "gun broker". The trick is to look for a seller that has a high amount of sells and a 99 - 100 percent rating. I have recently bought a Lyman Deerstalker in 54 caliber. Shoots 3 shots in 1 1/2 inches at 70 yards with 90 grains of 2f with a patched (.20) round .530 ball from a bench. There are great rifles out there. Look for estate sales. Some rifles are 20 years old and have never been shot. Traditional black powder hunting gives you such a feeling of being back in an earlier era where hunting wasn't seeing a deer at 300 yards, but having the ability to get much closer for that one good shot. Yes, I know it's an old thread. I just had to get it out.

Back