• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And yepper, Leo is toting around a bone-stock, new-looking Pedersoli Brown Bess Trade Gun in the move. I thought that still-in-the-white screw holding the cock on (AKA the "hammer" that holds the flint) meant that they were switching that whole piece out between takes rather than mess with just trying to set a flint but the gun comes that way from the factory...

REVENANT-master675-v2_zps5ojhpctx.jpg

bess%20trade_zpsv7i8cgm0.jpg

Boggles the mind in these movies, all that money spent and all they had to do was spend an hour talking to someone who knew before they started purchasing.

And if Pedersoli was culpable in making some uninformed movie purchasing guy a deal on guns they couldn't otherwise unload, well then they deserve to be mauled by a griz and left fer dead.....

...and the irony is, you see one of them and an accurate trade gun replica side by side and its night at day. If'n they had Pedersoli's own trade gun even, people in the audience would be thinking "Damn that's a pretty gun, I wan't one", and everybody would be better off....

JMHO,

Birdwatcher

The family and I watched the movie last night. As much as I wanted to love the movie, I simply could not. It is not an excellent movie, nor am I able to say that it is even a good movie.

I wont go into any details, but go see the movie, enjoy it and develop your own opinion.

My 17 year old son said he liked the movie just because of the cool things in the movie like the flintlocks. But, he likes shooting black powder, including flinters.

Fleener

What I'm drawing a blank on this sideplate, a gun carried by Tom Hardy in stills from the same flick has that same sideplate...

revenenat2_zps6i6appwk.jpg

I don't see it on Track of the Wolf which carries lots....
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=sideplates

..and neither does it appear to be a Pedersoli longrifle side plate.

Whatever it is, like the lock it does appear to be a late 18th Century style, not the sort one would commonly associate with a 19th Century Plains Rifle which generally ran sorta Spartan.

The other thing is, is that the sideplate sits on top of the stock and does not appear to be inlet flush with the surface, a thing you would expect on originals and on better-quality custom guns and factory repros.

IME,

Birdwatcher

Last edited by a moderator:
Well like it says in the picture, Entertainment. Picking apart every minor detail isn't going to make the movie more enjoyable. I'm just happy at least they are trying to make some movies like this.

Mooman76 said:
Well like it says in the picture, Entertainment. Picking apart every minor detail isn't going to make the movie more enjoyable. I'm just happy at least they are trying to make some movies like this.
Thank you. They didn't make it just to suit our way of thinking. From what I've gathered over the years, everybody has their own concept of what things were or at least what they've wanted it to be. Just my $.02

Fair enough, I'll quit.

And nifeman, will there be an occasion where you are free to post pics the knives you made for the movie?

I watched it Christmas Day...not bad, the firearms are mostly flintlock N.W trade guns, and looked to be h.c...the story wanders quite a bit from the what we know is truth and even legend. Decaprio does a good job of capturing the essence of a mountain man as do the other actors...all in all I'd give it 7 star rating...would have rated it higher, but it went off in left field as far as being h.c. goes.

It was billed as "inspired" by actual events.. :haha:
Lucky you... how did you get to see it already? I thought it wasn't out until Jan 8.

DSCF2788_zpslvoi5xwm.jpg
[/URL][/img]
As I promised, here is a picture of the Hugh Glass knife. I know that some people will notice that it has an extra long handle. This was requested by Mr. Inarritu so that the handle would be seen sticking out of Dicaprio's hand during the infamous bear attack. It was the only knife we had any collaboration on. We submitted another sheath with the knife and he liked this sheath from another knife instead. For the remaining knives and bags we were given complete artistic freedom, the only request was to keep them plain and hand sewn. They also wanted that they looked like they were from different households and skill levels of making. Hope y'all like it, Miss Tudy and Bud

Nifeman said:
DSCF2788_zpslvoi5xwm.jpg
[/URL][/img]
As I promised, here is a picture of the Hugh Glass knife. I know that some people will notice that it has an extra long handle. This was requested by Mr. Inarritu so that the handle would be seen sticking out of Dicaprio's hand during the infamous bear attack. It was the only knife we had any collaboration on. We submitted another sheath with the knife and he liked this sheath from another knife instead. For the remaining knives and bags we were given complete artistic freedom, the only request was to keep them plain and hand sewn. They also wanted that they looked like they were from different households and skill levels of making. Hope y'all like it, Miss Tudy and Bud

That's an honest-looking knife for honest PC times. I haven't seen the movie yet, the small amount I saw looked pretty good...not 100%, but hey, it's a movie.

I saw Man in the Wilderness, which was also about Hugh Glass (I think) but without the child. Bear attack. I think the movie is, indeed, based on a true story. A good movie.

It may not be correct in every detail but with the way the country is going i could use a 2 1/2 hour movie about a life style i enjoy as an old skinner. Just to forget about everything thats working against us .

Let's just say I'm "privileged".... :wink: looking back on the movie, I will say that decaprio did a good job of portraying a grizzled mountain man...all in all..h.c. Stuff aside, it was a very watchable movie and probably a must see for us on the forum.

Nifeman said:
Mooman76 said:
Thank you. They didn't make it just to suit our way of thinking. From what I've gathered over the years, everybody has their own concept of what things were or at least what they've wanted it to be. Just my $.02 Do you not know how much fun grumpy old farts get from nit picking??? :haha:...O K Im going to do my last sexist statment for the year...Women gots their hair dressers, and a chance to nit pick fashions, and whos wearing them, we got our campfires to nitpic movies :blah:

Hey, nit-picking is what re-enactors do.

But anyways, someone on another forum found two rifles used in the movie. These seem legit and top-dollar....
http://www.recreatinghistory.com/

..but the guy did say that they were too long as delivered and had to be cut down.

Them cutting down those rifles and ordering knives with extra-long handles (thank you nifeman) makes me wonder if they passed on Pedersoli's regular trade guns on purpose.

Perhaps considerations of length or perceived fragility had them using that heavy and clunky ersatz Bess model instead.

Birdwatcher

Last edited by a moderator:
He only wanted Dicaprios knife to have an extra 1" or so for the Bear fighting scene. All the others were regular sized handles. Other than Hugh Glass' knife I have no idea who got what knives or bags. Just know it was the principal actors..Bud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back