• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

new mould

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho Ron

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I got my Mould yesterday for the North South skirmish bullet. I decided since I have the week off I would make some bullets today to see how it goes. First off the mould is heavy, and fatigue is a real problem. My arm is sore from holding the mould to pour about 100 bullets.
The mould didn’t come with real good directions for assembly. It was fairly easy to put together but it would have been nice to have better instructions.
The mould comes with two base plugs, a hollow base and a flat base. The mould has two bolts that come up from the bottom to hold the handles on. Also the two bolts hold the base plug plate to the bottom of the mould. Here is a picture of the mould from the bottom and it is closed.
northsouthmould1.jpg

Next is the base plate from the bottom open.
northsouthmould2.jpg

Next is from the top open.
northsouthmould3.jpg

Next is from the front open to see how the base plug sits in there.
northsouthmould4.jpg

The set screw for the base plug has a flat screw driver slot in the bottom for adjustment.
I got the mould hot on the kitchen stove first, Then I took it out to pour some bullets. I poured a couple and weighed them. I had to adjust the mould a little longer to get the weight I wanted, 410 grains was the target. Soon I got the mould set and started to make bullets.
The first thing I found was the bolts that hold the handles on need to be tight. They will loosen up as you pour bullets, and change the weight. Another thing I think I will add a lock nut for the adjustment screw. I had it move on me a couple of times. Between the bolts loosening up and the base plug moving it was tough to keep it set.
What I don't like so far. The instructions were poor on setting up the mould. Also I didn't like the adjustment screw how it moved so easy. I will add a lock nut to stop the movement.
What I DID like. The mould after it was set was accurate. It was easy to get within +-.5 grain right out of the mould. Another thing I like is the thickness of the skirt and the depth. It was very easy to wrap the bullet with paper and then push the tail into the base.
NorthSouthbullet3.jpg

The bullet is 1.025” long at 410 grains.
The skirt is .090” at the bottom edge.
The diameter is .494 with very soft lead.
The depth of the hollow base was .250

All the measurements of the bullets were very close on the bullets I measured. Uniformity was very good, and. RCBS did an outstanding job making this mould.
The next thing will be to weigh the bullets and make sure they are in the weight range. After that I will wrap them and half will be sized to .501 and the other half will be lubed but not sized, and they measure .505
I hope to be doing some shooting this week with the bullets. Ron

Great photos! Sounds like you solved each problem as it arose and have made some good bullets. Those molds need to be a little hotter than regular bullet molds as the base core pin cools fast when you open and drop the bullet.

Wow, that mold looks pretty sturdy, never seen that design of the base plug mount. All the molds I have, have a seperated base plug that fits inside the mold via screw.

Back