• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIt

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi my name is Kit. I am retired and live in Houston Texas. I hope to eventually move to the West after my wife retires. I have shot flint locks since the 1980's. I hope to build a Kibler SMR this winter. My only dilema is picking a caliber? Most probally will use the flintlock for plinking and hunting small critters. Maybe 36 or 40 cal? I would appreciate any suggestions on what calibers to consider.

Welcome from Pa. Can't hunt deer here with a .40 , but all small game good to go. .40 is my favorite non-big game gun for woods running , and target to 60 yards. Can't see any farther.........Old guy ,old eyes. Think I'll put a tang peep on mine. .40 can be loaded strong for hard to kill stuff and dialed back for light work.

Welcome from The Woodlands!
I just got me a .36 Northampton / Lehigh poor boy flinter that I haven't shot yet.
Where do you shoot?
It's kind of hot today to go shooting (97 at 6:30pm), but when it cools off, I want to make some smoke!
Maybe October? :ghostly:

As for caliber, lots of folks shoot both / either. I don't hunt, so I can't offer advice, but a Kibler is the Cadillac, from what I've seen here on the forum. Post your progress photos, and get ready for advice and compliments. 😲

Welcome from Pa. Can't hunt deer here with a .40 , but all small game good to go. .40 is my favorite non-big game gun for woods running , and target to 60 yards. Can't see any farther.........Old guy ,old eyes. Think I'll put a tang peep on mine. .40 can be loaded strong for hard to kill stuff and dialed back for light work.
So this is my reasoning: 40 is a little lite for deer and illegal by regulation in many states but seems too powerful for rabbits and squirrels? My thought is I'll get a 36 for plinking and small game and eventually a 50 or 54 for deer. Am I on the right track? Also 36 uses half the powder charge of a 45 or 50 cal.-- cheaper to shoot! Especially when it is so difficult to find powder in the first place.

I just got me a .36 Northampton / Lehigh poor boy flinter that I haven't shot yet.
Where do you shoot?
It's kind of hot today to go shooting (97 at 6:30pm), but when it cools off, I want to make some smoke!

As for caliber, lots of folks shoot both / either. I don't hunt, so I can't offer advice, but a Kibler is the Cadillac, from what I've seen here on the forum. Post your progress photos, and get ready for advice and compliments. 😲
Where do you shoot?

I shoot at George Bush American Shoot sports when I shoot rifles.

So this is my reasoning: 40 is a little lite for deer and illegal by regulation in many states but seems too powerful for rabbits and squirrels? My thought is I'll get a 36 for plinking and small game and eventually a 50 or 54 for deer. Am I on the right track? Also 36 uses half the powder charge of a 45 or 50 cal.-- cheaper to shoot! Especially when it is so difficult to find powder in the first place.
WELCOME!

That will do fine, but just remember that the load may be tailored to the critter. For example I have some .40 conicals that do fine on Coyote at 100 yards and should do very well on whitetail, IF I wanted to go for deer without round ball at a long range of about 100 yards, BUT I can down load for the round ball to take small game. So my measure for my .40 is 30 grains, or gets doubled to 60 for deer and stuff larger than "small game".

LD

Where can you purchase a Northampton/Lehigh poor boy?
Right here on the forum.
Built by a gunmaker that lives in Alabama (martin9 on the forum).
I kind of knew what I was looking for, and when I saw it for sale at a price I could afford, I asked a few questions, and bought it. There was another buyer right behind me that would have taken it, if I hadn't beat him to it.
There are usually several nice rifles available here, but custom guns get pricey. You could always make a Wanted ad, but be careful of the guys that want to sell you something from their cousin in Texas. Texans got a bad rap by some sorry seller, and now it has become a bad joke.
After the weather cools, we ought to shoot together out at Bush Park. Your experience and my lack of same would make for an interesting day. :ghostly:

Welcome from California.
I was born in LA, grew up in the Bay Area, lived in Sonoma County (Healdsburg) and lived briefly in Gridley CA. Are you allowed to use lead balls for hunting deer in California?

Back