• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtownGeorge

32 Cal
Reaction score
New to muzzle loading. Needed a covid project so I bought a Traditions Kentucky Percussion Pistol. It took a while but it is complete and a ton of fun to shoot. Not new to guns but as a 72 year old retired person I love my 1911 and lever action rifle among others. I have a couple of newbee questions.

1. Parts diagram shows a trigger adjustment screw. I see the screw but do not know what it does. Will I be able to lighten trigger pull with this screw.

2. Sabots or round ball.

3. Lubed patches or not. I am currently using my cleaning patches for my 22 guns.

4 What kind of range can I expect a decent amount of accuracy. 25 yards? or more?

My first shots with sabot rounds from 10 yards was accurate as sabot blew through the cardboard target in the 10 ring while bullet was 2 inches high. Round ball shots for some reason seemed more accurate. Using 30 gr of powder.

Welcome; I'm fairly new to muzzle loaders as well and I agree, they are a lot of fun. Not sure about your trigger question. I shoot only round ball with a lubed patch. For me, 25 yds would be about as far as I would have much chance of accuracy. Best of luck!

I was trying to say that my CVA mountain pistol shoots well out to about 30 yards. I only ever used a patched round ball. 30 grains of 3f black powder.

Mornin' George from Georgetown, from a long-time fan of the Georgetown Loop Raiload! Building your own muzzleloader is certainly THE best er way of getting into that fascinating history of shooting muzzleloaders, as well as the flintlock and percussion firearm being such a recent important part of the history of the nation - so new in the eyes of Europeans.

As a fifteen-year veteran on this forum, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that 'sabot's are a taboo subject on this site, which deals in traditional muzzleloading of all kinds. There are, of course, other sites where such subjects as this and the guns that are mainly used to shoot them, which are also taboo here.

You have found out already that your gun likes to shoot the old way - a simple patched ball. I think you'll find that this is no accident. Also, 25 yards is about the best useful range for ANY smooth-bore handgun, which is why the competitions for this type of handgun are at the most, 25 yards, or shorter.

Anyhow, I treat this site as a learning tool - sometimes I find that I have something to teach, but mostly I learn.

Welcome from Indiana. My CVA Colonial pistol in 45 caliber is good out to 25 yards. But 20 yards is about my limit on a normal day. I shoot Lee R E A L bullets with 30 grains of powder. Have fun.

@TFoley. Not Georgetown but Germantown TN, just outside of Memphis.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will play with the adjustment screw and see what happens. I am also considering adding a spring to take slop out of trigger.

Back