• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member with questions...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking to purchase my first percussion ML. I have always liked the look of Hawken's, but recently a .54 caliber Jaeger hunter (saw on DGW website) looks very interesting. I like the idea of shooting PRB's. This particular rifle has a listed twist of 1-24", 27 5/8" barrel and weighs in at 8 1/4 lbs. They recommend 95 gr of FFg., .530 round ball with a .015 patch. Does this sound doable? Am I getting into any trouble here? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Well then you should know that what the others have mentioned about loads and fast twists is a "rule-of-thumb".

Now that rule of thumb was born back in the days when barrels were hand rifled AND the grooves cut into those barrels were often 1/3 the width of the lands in the barrels. Plus those barrels had grooves opposite the lands. Modern barrels have equal width lands and grooves, and the grooves are opposite to each other. Modern rifling vs hand rifling compared looks thus:
MODERN VS OLD RIFLING.jpg

So it was much easier back-in-the-day for the load to exceed what the rifling could handle, and the ball and patch to "skip" over the grooves and the shot to be inaccurate.

Then along came industrialization, and yes the rule held for a lot of muzzleloading rifles. The rule also holds that a conical bullet like a Minie Ball or a modern conical like a Hornady or REAL from Lee won't shoot well from a slow twist barrel slower than say 1:48 or 1:56....BUT the 1853 Enfield rifles imported from England for the American Civil War, often called the "Three Band Enfield" had then and Pedersoli repros have now..., 1:78 twist rates for Minie Ball shooting and they are favored target rifles. Totally thwarting the old rule, as far back as 1853. See it's not just the twist, but the width and the depth of the rifling....

ENFLIELD 58.JPG

So THAT makes me wonder why would Pedersoli, which has a vested interest in you the customer having success with any and all of their products, would suggest that you use a patched round ball and a load, when that would cause their product to be inaccurate ??? Maybe they know something that is counter to the old rule ?

The other idea that I would suggest is that such a heavy load while allowing you to feel the kick probably similar to the original Jaeger rifles (.58 being considered small by the Germanic hunters of the day), it is perhaps unneeded. You might try 70-80 grains of 3Fg with a .530 round ball, since that rifle is a .54, and you could find it quite accurate to the distances that you employ the rifle. IF that rifle is what you obtained and used.

LD

Very good info. Thank you Loyalist Dave! So much to learn. Hope I don't croak before I get it mastered! LOL

1:24 twist is a bit fast for round ball.

1:60 to 1:70 is a "normal" round ball twist.
1:48 is a "Compromise" twist that allegedly shoots round ball and conicals well.
Faster than 1:48 is intended only for conicals.

Latest posts

Back