• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member with percussion cap question....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GtownGeorge

32 Cal
Reaction score
After building my Traditions Kentucky pistol I had all I needed to shoot. Just recently I was running out of #11 percussion caps and couldn't find them anywhere. My question is, is this apparent shortage due to hunting season coming up and is this an annual event this time of the year or something else?

The good news is I finally did find some,

Virus, riots and looting, WW3 with China on the horizon, in other words lead up to the fall election, after which it will get better,...or worse.

don't ever buy percussion caps that are MADE IN CHINA, or any other ASIAN COUNTRY. if you find a tin of them, don't touch them.

QUOTE="Carbon 6, post: 1705470, member: 32296"]
Ya, morons think percussion caps will stop the virus. :doh:
[/QUOTE]

"It's the virus causing it. Panic buying."

The cap shortage was caused by the same thing that caused the below shortages:

1. Toliet paper
2. Facial wipes
3. Paper towels
4. Meat

The shortage will end when the modern folks stop buying up ammo and the CCI and Remington can shift their focus to percussion caps.

1. Toliet paper
2. Facial wipes
3. Paper towels
4. Meat

It's my understanding that all or most of those were distribution problems, not manufacturing problems.

It's my understanding that all or most of those were distribution problems, not manufacturing problems.

When workers cannot work, solving personal spacing issues, PPE requirements, ill employees, quarantine issues, etc., on the manufacturing line you have shortages of goods to sell. Same problems affect the distribution chain.

Next is economics, supply and demand. Demand has exceeded supply.

With Uberti and Pietta shutdown, a shortage of BP pistols was created and still exists today, cannot ship what is not made..

The way to handle future shortages is if you shoot a tin of caps, buy 2 next time. If you do not have a reserve greater than what you shoot, it's your fault.

Folks say can't afford 1,000 caps, buy they can afford a $1,000 rifle?

Ya, morons think percussion caps will stop the virus. :doh:

"It's the virus causing it. Panic buying."

QUOTE="Carbon 6, post: 1705470, member: 32296"]

1. Toliet paper
2. Facial wipes
3. Paper towels
4. Meat

The shortage will end when the modern folks stop buying up ammo and the CCI and Remington can shift their focus to percussion caps.
[/QUOTE]

Remington has long had quality control problems in their entire ammunition production. They have filed for some sort of bankruptcy protection. Their, low profit, perc. caps may never return. Save what empty cans you have. They will be collectors items soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cap making device linked is a version of the Forrester Tap-o-cap. Instead of using loose priming compound you can use toy roll caps. Buy a small pliers type hole punch. Use it to cut out the paper caps . Wear safety glasses! Stuff three roll caps into the aluminum cap shell.

When workers cannot work, solving personal spacing issues, PPE requirements, ill employees, quarantine issues, etc., on the manufacturing line you have shortages of goods to sell. Same problems affect the distribution chain.

Can you confirm that this is indeed the problem we are facing concerning the cap shortage ?
I've seen how caps and ammunition are produced. The process is largely automated.
Sure, Covid could slow production but not stop it. There is still more to the story. This is the third shortage in ten years.

Remington has long had quality control problems in their entire ammunition production. They have filed for some sort of bankruptcy protection.

They've had problems ever since they were purchased by Cerberus.

Total defeat of those that have put the country in turmoil, so that they can seize control.

1599768275179.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back