• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member with 1st question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes knowing it was a SBR gun would help its value. But I do not believe that is an SBR. SBR makes quality piece. Absent the markings there is no way to tell for sure

The barrel looks like core casting to my eye. There are a lot of these core castings around.

You need to inspect the bore very closely for defects.

You also need to check the bore for straightness. Take a piece of of pvc pipe or large diameter wood dowel twice as long as the bore and run it all the way down the bore. Step to the rear of the gun and look down line of metal and see if the barrel and the pipe are both pointing in the same direction. Make the same check looking directly from the side.

I was married for 44 years. My Wife passed away this past spring. I never ever found a way to to appease her on this subject. I gave up years ago.

Perhaps some detailed photos to SBR, their website had no email contact, only telephone numbers. I'd also rather not strip the paint to look for markings without knowing what to put back on it. I has several coats and thick in places. Perhaps that is covering it. If anyone can post a photo of their SBR markings, that may give me an idea of what to look for.
Thanks again all..

MO

Well, it definitely has a lined bore. I would suggest that the next step be running an automotive brake cylinder hone through it to see just how good or bad the bore may be visually. A 7/8" wood dowel can also help to tell you if the bore is properly centered. I have a sneaking suspicion that the iron body may have been poured around the bore liner. If it was, then there is a chance that the bore is not centered properly. I still recommend this tube be x-rayed for safety sake.

cp.gif

I couldn't agree more with Claypipe, get this xrayed before shooting. If the are any flaws they should show up.

Pay particular attention to the vent, especially if it is not lined.

Back