• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Member.....New Flintlock Owner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicko, welcome to the forum. to paraphrase the little green Star Wars fellow, "once rocks banged have you, forever will they dominate your range time."

If it's designed to shoot conicals, you may have shallow rifling, but there are ways around that.

I agree with the assertion that you should skip the pellet madness and go with to plain old black powder. Just keep an eye out for it and score some 3F whenever you can. You don't really need the 4F for prime, but it won't do any harm and you'll eventually use it up ... if you're out in the weeds, remember that black powder absorbs moisture at an amazing rate, so check your prime often, and don't hesitate to dump it and re- prime your pan.

As regards working up a load, i believe that the quickest (and most efficient in terms of ball and powder and your time) is to get a copy of Dutch Schoultz most excellent method. Here's a link:

Black powder rifle accuracy system -

this is, in my opinion, the best non shooting accessory you can buy, and it will save you a TON of time and frustration, and, if you follow the method, your groups will shrink - Mr. Schoultz guarantees it. This guy has world- class credentials (i believe that he coached the Canadian National ML Team a while back) and he's really a wonderful fellow - won't hesitate to help you out.

Avoid the siren song of those who would have you believe that your life will be incomplete without the latest gadget, gillhoulie or thingamabob, (which they can provide you at a very reasonable fee, plus shipping and handling) for these people really want to turn your money into their money. Having said that, you should look into some spare flints, a good adjustable powder measure, a good range rod, some cleaning jags and some good oil. You will also need a 1968 Corvette (red in color) but this will require special modification - send it to me and I'll be glad to help you in this regard...

If you don't already have this link, here's Track of the Wolf, which will send you anything you need... great folks ...

Powder measure, brass, adjustable 0 to 120 grains, with spout - Track of the Wolf

good luck, and welcome to the addiction, for which there is no cure.

Make good smoke!

Latest posts

Back