• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Member.....New Flintlock Owner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicko

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all. New member here. I've been hunting since I've been 16 (51 now) and and just got the itch to give flintlock a try. PA has a late season for bow and flintlock and while archery constitutes most of my hunting and I have hunted the late season with bow since 2006, I love gun hunting too and look forward to extending this into the late season.

I just bought my first flintlock and I'm hoping it arrives around New Years (Traditions PA pellet redi-pak). I originally wanted to take the off season to research guns but read plenty of positive reviews of this gun and found a place that still had some in stock so I snagged it.

If anybody has any info to pass along regarding this gun, it would be appreciated.

I don't have anything to pass on about the gun. I can comment on real flintlocks though. You should plan on spending quite a bit of time learning to shoot one without flinching. And learning to clean it so you don't ruin the bore. And remember, it wont come out of a box zeroed in. You have to work up a load and work on the sights.
AND they only work with real black powder. You have to find a shop that sells it :dunno: or work up a online order to have it shipped in (easy:thumb:).
I think the realistic approach is to buy it, learn it, love it and then HUNT with it next season. For the sake of the ethical shot.
But anyway, welcome aboard. Everyone on here will help you down this rabbit hole.

Last edited:
I don't have anything to pass on about the gun. I can comment on real flintlocks though. You should plan on spending quite a bit of time learning to shoot one without flinching. And learning to clean it so you don't ruin the bore. And remember, it wont come out of a box zeroed in. You have to work up a load and work on the sights.
AND they only work with real black powder. You have to find a shop that sells it :dunno: or work up a online order to have it shipped in (easy:thumb:).
I think the realistic approach is to buy it, learn it, love it and then HUNT with it next season. For the sake of the ethical shot.
But anyway, welcome aboard. Everyone on here will help you down this rabbit hole.

Appreciated. I have an order from midway in transit of a couple boxes 50 grain pellets as well as 1 lb of 3F. Picked up some 4F priming powder today at Dixons in PA along with a few other accessories. Going to try TC shockwave 250s (have read this gun does not shoot roundballs well).

Even if I don't feel comfortable taking it in the woods this year, it's a start.

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Used to hunt with family in PA years ago.

Believe what you ordered comes with everything except powder. If I remember correctly, Traditions recommends Pyrodex and pellets. Won’t go into detail, but suggest you bypass the drama and go right to real black powder, probably 3F. You will have a much easier learning curve. Also, this is a fast twist gun, so it will possibly shoot patched roundballs ok, but it is designed for conicals. Not sure what the current PA regulations state, but I remember it being roundball only when I hunted the flintlock season there. Just something to check, remember my cousins telling me regulations have changed a few times over the years. Again, welcome to the forum and best of luck getting your new gun ready to go. You will be offered all kinds of help and opinions here.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Used to hunt with family in PA years ago.

Believe what you ordered comes with everything except powder. If I remember correctly, Traditions recommends Pyrodex and pellets. Won’t go into detail, but suggest you bypass the drama and go right to real black powder, probably 3F. You will have a much easier learning curve. Also, this is a fast twist gun, so it will possibly shoot patched roundballs ok, but it is designed for conicals. Not sure what the current PA regulations state, but I remember it being roundball only when I hunted the flintlock season there. Just something to check, remember my cousins telling me regulations have changed a few times over the years. Again, welcome to the forum and best of luck getting your new gun ready to go. You will be offered all kinds of help and opinions here.

PA game rules make no mention about round balls. Only says caliber must be 45 caliber for rifle and 50 for handgun and gun must at least be a similar reproduction of a pre-1800s gun.

Have 3F on the way as well as pellets. I'll see which works best and go from there.

Hi all. New member here. I've been hunting since I've been 16 (51 now) and and just got the itch to give flintlock a try. PA has a late season for bow and flintlock and while archery constitutes most of my hunting and I have hunted the late season with bow since 2006, I love gun hunting too and look forward to extending this into the late season.

I just bought my first flintlock and I'm hoping it arrives around New Years (Traditions PA pellet redi-pak). I originally wanted to take the off season to research guns but read plenty of positive reviews of this gun and found a place that still had some in stock so I snagged it.

If anybody has any info to pass along regarding this gun, it would be appreciated.
While the ignition source is flintlock the rifle is definitely not traditional. We might be able to help you with some of your questions but not all as this site deals specifically with traditional muzzleloaders. That said the modern muzzleloader sister site would have the people with expertise in area. Not saying you're not welcome just trying to steer you in the right direction to get all of your questions answered. :thumb:

Modern Muzzleloader

Welcome too the fire ! Enjoy your journey....
One smell of that fffg smoke and your lost for eternity into the Dark Side.....

You got me. They’ve allowed black composite stocks for a while as well as camo flintlocks.
Used the TC version of the ‘modern’ traditional flintlock in PA, the Firestorm. Stainless and even had a scary black plastic stock. Took a lot of guff from my cousins, but it fired every time I pulled the trigger and it didn’t rust. Could not say that for the other guns in camp. That was years ago, but remember the regulations discussions involving fiber optic sights, peep sights, conicals vs roundballs among other things with the group I hunted with. Still have the Firestorm and it remains accurate. It never lived up to it’s billing as a reliable pellet shooter, but it was right in there with loose black powder.

Latest posts

Back