• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Member in Yuma

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Long time shooter of two gun, NRL, NRL.22, etc. interested in learning more about early American rifles.

Cup is empty and I am going to humbly request some assistance right off the bat.

Where do I start?

I would like to shoot competitively. For this I'd like to have an accurate and reliable firearm.
I have already seen people say bad things about factory guns? Does this hold true for all factory guns or just base models?
would a Traditions Deluxe Kentucky Rifle be more frustration than it is worth, or would it be a good enough rifle to compete with?

Is there a good gear list of everything I need to make a go of it?

Any newbie tips are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hello and welcome! As far as factory guns go, you'll find some strong opinions and hard no's on here. I'm in the other camp, haver numerous factory guns, Investarms, TC and Traditions plus a couple of custom guns. I find most of my factory guns as reliable as the custom guns and as accurate. I don't shoot competition so I cannot attest to how my factory guns would do at or how accurate one needs to be to be competitive. I can say that several of mine easily touch holes at 50yds consistently with the right load. My basic gear list would be (minus powder and projectile): short starter, cleaning jag, worm, ball puller, powder horn, cleaning patches and if flintlock, pan charger, extra flints and flash hole pick. Sure there's something I missed but that's usually what I have in my bag. Good luck.

Hello and welcome! As far as factory guns go, you'll find some strong opinions and hard no's on here. I'm in the other camp, haver numerous factory guns, Investarms, TC and Traditions plus a couple of custom guns. I find most of my factory guns as reliable as the custom guns and as accurate. I don't shoot competition so I cannot attest to how my factory guns would do at or how accurate one needs to be to be competitive. I can say that several of mine easily touch holes at 50yds consistently with the right load. My basic gear list would be (minus powder and projectile): short starter, cleaning jag, worm, ball puller, powder horn, cleaning patches and if flintlock, pan charger, extra flints and flash hole pick. Sure there's something I missed but that's usually what I have in my bag. Good luck.
Thanks, I'm making a list!

Welcome, from North Carolina! Don’t listen to all of the factory gun haters. There are some fine shootin’ quality factory guns out there from T/C, Lyman/Investarms, Pedersoli, I’ll even throw in old CVA and some Traditions. You have to try several to see what you like and what works for you (and how much you have to spend).

Back