• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New member in Colorado

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks for having me. I have a 54 cal Lyman Deerstalker and a 54 cal TC Renegade that I just dialed in. .530 swaged RB with a .010 Wonder lubed patch over 75 gr. of Pyrodex RS. 1" 3 shot group at 50 yds off a sandbag rest. It is a new to me rifle and the bore was in bad shape so I scrubbed it with Frontier 45 over a 28 ga. bronze brush about 50 times and it smoothed out fairly well. Bottom line is I shot 5 shots in it without swabbing and the first two adjusted on target and the last three gave me the one inch group. So, I feel like it was too easy but I'm not going to complain. The Lyman will be tougher. I've had it for 20 years but have shot it fewer than 100 rounds during that time. I've never been able to shoot less than 3 inches at 50 yds. with it and need to figure it out. I will seek out the collective wisdom of the members here as I go. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6085.JPG
    IMG_6085.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 0
Welcome from Oklahoma.
Sometimes you just gotta try different things.
I had my own 54 out to the range yesterday morning.
Vintage CVA Missouri rifle.
Mine produced about 1 1/2" group at 50 yards. Same ball and patch combo as yours but plain old spit for lube.
I was using 80 grains by volume of Triple 7 2f powder.

Thanks for having me. I have a 54 cal Lyman Deerstalker and a 54 cal TC Renegade that I just dialed in. .530 swaged RB with a .010 Wonder lubed patch over 75 gr. of Pyrodex RS. 1" 3 shot group at 50 yds off a sandbag rest. It is a new to me rifle and the bore was in bad shape so I scrubbed it with Frontier 45 over a 28 ga. bronze brush about 50 times and it smoothed out fairly well. Bottom line is I shot 5 shots in it without swabbing and the first two adjusted on target and the last three gave me the one inch group. So, I feel like it was too easy but I'm not going to complain. The Lyman will be tougher. I've had it for 20 years but have shot it fewer than 100 rounds during that time. I've never been able to shoot less than 3 inches at 50 yds. with it and need to figure it out. I will seek out the collective wisdom of the members here as I go. Thanks in advance.
welcome from oklahoma

Where in Colorado? Wife and I lived in Limon for +35 years, before moving to Potosi, MO to be close to family.

Where in Colorado? Wife and I lived in Limon for +35 years, before moving to Potosi, MO to be close to family.
Ive been in the foothills above Golden for the past 25 years. Have some friends from Mathieson who now call Limon home. Dont get out that far east very often, just for Antelope and occasionally pheasant.

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest. Use to call the Boulder area home 20 some years ago. My how that area has changed.
First moved to Colorado in 1976 at Ft. Carson. Now the front range and the interstate corridors have become completely suburbanized from the Springs to Ft. Collins and from Byers to Newcastle. Like a big bullseye with X marks the spot at Denver. My brother lives in Sisters, Oregon and its still pretty nice there, I guess. Hard to get away from the crowds!

Back