• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member here, looking for a lot of help on gun purchase...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New member here. Just wanted to say hello here from West Tennessee and asking for some help. I am in the market to to get a new muzzle loader for whitetail. A little background about myself . I have been shooting traditional archery now for about 13 years. I currently have a cva Optima 50 cal that I do not hunt with. I have decided that I plan on putting down the longbow during gun season next year and start using a more traditional type muzzleloader. I would preferably like a percussion 50 or 54 cal.
I have looked at the lyman great plain hunters and others and I have no idea what to look for. I do know 25 years ago killing my for two muzzleloader deer with a borrowed Traditions ( I think ) and I have always loved the traditional look and feel. So I wanna get back to it. So I could really use some guidance on which gun brand to get. I want a good quality gun, so any help would be greatly appreciated..I have no idea what to look for. I would like stay around $500-600 range if possible.Thank you for your time and help, sorry for the long read.
That Lyman's Great Plains rifle is a great first rifle. Whether you pick a a barrel for round balls or saboted conicle or both! I've heard you can get both barrels and use the same lower. It's a great looking gun, rock solid shooter and pretty hard to beat for the price. You bust it up in the wood? You're not out a family heirloom! Pedersoli makes a few nice guns that look and work great to. Let us know what you get.
Neil

Entirely my opinion only:

Go to your closest sporting goods shop that carries muzzleloaders. Pick up and shoulder a few to get an idea of weight and handling (always keeps all firearms safety rules in mind). See if any one type or style "speaks" to you. I agree that .50 caliber should be enough to take down anything you might run across in your area. Check your state Muzzleloading hunting regulations on minimum caliber. Also find the muzzleloading club in your area, and talk with them. They might even have a spare rifle they would part with for a fair price. NMLRA has a listing of clubs by state. See who is nearby.
Most of the "sporting goods" stores that I am familiar with have more clothes than guns and more unmentionable guns than traditional muzzleloaders. At one of my favorite local gun store (LGS), any traditional muzzle loaders will be in the used gun section. You are much better off locating a muzzle loading gun club and meeting with the members.

I agree with Grenadier on finding muzzleloaders to try out. I don't know of a shop dedicated to or even a LGS that carries muzzleloaders within 100 miles of where I live. There is a Cabelas about 120 miles away, but their muzzleloading section is greatly reduce since the merger with Bass Pro. I suspect the same is true for many of us not located in a large metro area or close to a long term muzzleloading venter who does a lot of mailorder/internet sales.

Lots of used TCs out there that would fit the bill but you have to ask a lot of questions before you buy. I would ask the guys on here what they have for sale as I have purchased several from members and they have been a great bunch of guys to deal with. I am a TC Nut but if I were buying a new gun right now I would seriously look at the Lyman GPR since it is currently being manufactured and parts if needed will be readily available. Always ask about the bore condition if they know much about these guns they will be able to tell you the condition of it.

I 2nd the buying a TC. I picked up a .54 Hawken. The bore was kind of rough so I had it bored to a .58 for a pretty reasonable price. I think with the original price plus the reborn it was still cheaper than a new gun.

Where in "West TN" are you ? I am one who looks for used better grade guns for beginners. I do so because the parts are likely better quality then the factory stuff but the price will be higher. Buy once, cry once.

That being said the RB Lyman guns seem to be a pretty good deal and of the ones belonging to new guys I have shot they performed quite well.

Answer my first question and I may be able to help you from there. PM me if you want.... I shoot Black Widows.... nuff said.

Back