• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member from Washington state

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaWiVi

32 Cal
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me in and for the future advice, in advance. I have a couple of flinters and a few percussion rifles for fun as well as some pistols. Good to have a knowledge base to fall back on.
And with that, I have a Euro Arms Kentuckian with a snapped sear spring. It's been bouncing around for 50 years so I think it should get a new one. I haven't found any kind of replacement as of yet. It seems that some members have experience with making springs and that is the direction I think I'll have to go.

Well after 50 years expeirence we could learn from you? . Re scear spring if you have the broken bits or have you another gun lock with one that fits then by pressing into soap or going to a ML gun shop you might get the desired spring
All I knew up your way (What part of Wash 'anyway ? ) Was Ted Fellows & Frank Strait but I know ones dead both near or in greater Seattle . If I knew your location I might be better able to help come to that a pressed into soap impression could be posted to any supplier in the east .What make of lock is it ?. The' Haddaway 'was one lock Ted? Fellows sold in the 70s . A rubbing on paper or foil might be just as simple to send Or post a pic shewing the lock both sides .. While ime thinking Ile impart off a cure for the short throw of the old Siler lock. Was to buy a ' North Star' Lock Scear they fit right in but gave you a longer scear nose so you get a longer throw & the flint needn't be the impeding the ' Steel' (frizzen if you like ) face on half cock needing a special flint gloriously referred too by Tom Fuller as the' Sila flint ' I could use a NS scear myself but I can make them,
Regards Rudyard

Welcome from Maine. For a better response ask your question in Flintlock or the percussion rifle section of the forum. This is for introductions only.
Nit Wit

Welcome from another Washingtonian.

It was good to read Rudyard mention Ted Fellowes and Frank Strait. I haven't seen Frank Strait for years, I met him a couple of times while visiting with Ted Fellowes. I knew Ted well, he and I drew deer tags in Washington's Chiliwist area years ago. We camped and hunted for a week. I filled my tag and watched Ted put the stalk of a couple deer but he didn't score. We had a great time. I felt kind of bad about not shooting my deer with a .54 Beaver Lodge gun he built for me. I carried it nearly every day that trip. The morning I killed my deer I'd decided to pack a T/C PA Hunter Carbine.

I have the first muzzleloader Ted ever built, here's a photo.

Attachments

• 20221230_182123.jpg
    20221230_182123.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Welcome from another Washingtonian.

It was good to read Rudyard mention Ted Fellowes and Frank Strait. I haven't seen Frank Strait for years, I met him a couple of times while visiting with Ted Fellowes. I knew Ted well, he and I drew deer tags in Washington's Chiliwist area years ago. We camped and hunted for a week. I filled my tag and watched Ted put the stalk of a couple deer but he didn't score. We had a great time. I felt kind of bad about not shooting my deer with a .54 Beaver Lodge gun he built for me. I carried it nearly every day that trip. The morning I killed my deer I'd decided to pack a T/C PA Hunter Carbine.

I have the first muzzleloader Ted ever built, it's a pistol, here's a photo.
About 1973 I bought a 50 cal Dougless barrel & a Haddaway flint flock plus mounts I made a long rifle up at the village./camp of Canfor. Heavy thing shot running salmon in the Tisitika river on the Island .Took it to England still there definatley 'Nimpkish valley School' ( Of one ! )Used to sail a log raft accross the Lake weekends to near Loon lake .One evening I had a black Bear in my sights but had no need of it so let it go.' Counted coupe ' you might say . I swamped the brl in the chippy's workshop me being a camp chippy . first long rifle I ever made there too heavy but I was young & fit. later made more such . but prefer lighter rifles now I visited him one time figured Ide stay at his place but he lived at his Mother's. So I providently found some old cardboard boxes near by and availed of them . Rudyard

Back