• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Member from NC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusk11

32 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings. I have been a long time lurker but have been shooting muzzleloaders for 20 years. I started off with my fathers TC Gray Hawk but now have my interest in revolvers. I like to cast my own conicals and tweak/slick my revolvers every chance I get. I'm no purist and always open to ideas yet appreciate the ways of our forefathers. My small collection consist

1851 Pietta Yank snub nose .44
1858 Pietta Starr DA .44
1847 Uberti Colt Walker .44

Thanks for having me.

Welcome from Winston Salem.

We're shooting a match this Saturday in Statesville.

Tusk11, welcome to the Forum. You are in luck, just south of you near Duncan, between Sanford & Fuquay-Varina, the Lafayette Long Rifles is a living history/muzzleloading gun club, with about 35 members. One of them is a N-SSA (North-South Skirmish Association) cap & ball competition shooter, and a member of the US International Muzzle Loading Team.

Set your sights on the 24th, 25th & 26th of September for the NC State Muzzle Loading State Championship Matches, held at the LLR Range, near Duncan.

I'll start a Conversation with you ("PM") and send you the particulars on the state shoot daily schedule and shoot program. I'll also send you info on the Fayetteville Club that I am also a member of, whose next match is tomorrow, Saturday.

Welcome again, you'll be in hog heaven if you come to the state shoot.

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep - NC
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

Tusk11, welcome to the Forum. You are in luck, just south of you near Duncan, between Sanford & Fuquay-Varina, the Lafayette Long Rifles is a living history/muzzleloading gun club, with about 35 members. One of them is a N-SSA (North-South Skirmish Association) cap & ball competition shooter, and a member of the US International Muzzle Loading Team.

Set your sights on the 24th, 25th & 26th of September for the NC State Muzzle Loading State Championship Matches, held at the LLR Range, near Duncan.

I'll start a Conversation with you ("PM") and send you the particulars on the state shoot daily schedule and shoot program. I'll also send you info on the Fayetteville Club that I am also a member of, whose next match is tomorrow, Saturday.

Welcome again, you'll be in hog heaven if you come to the state shoot.

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep - NC
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
I have sent you sent you a PM thanks!

Which organization is hosting it? I need to research more about the types of matches that are held. Something I've never gotten into but I think I would enjoy.

I shoot in the North South Skirmish Association. We're shooting in Statesville at Allison Woods this weekend. It's a small region as our Nationals in Winchester is just 2 weeks away. Nationals is held at our home range in Winchester. It's called Ft. Shennandoah and is probably the largest range of it's type in the world. Since we shoot as teams, our firing line can accommodate 73 teams composed of 8 shooters at one time. It has 3 control towers for safety. We also have ranges for revolvers and repeating arms.

Since we shoot Civil War arms in competition, there are a number of "classes"- Revolver, Musket, Henry, Carbine, and Smoothbore. In artillery, the guns are divided into mortars, guns (rifled tubes), and howitzers (rifled and smoothbore) and yes, we are shooting these with live ammunition. I'm on a 6lb rifled howitzer crew. Many of the guns we shoot, cannon and small arms, are originals.

Here's a utoob link that pretty much shows how we do things.

Latest posts

Back