• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Matchlock Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAEDWALD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just for public interest here is my new lock. Intended for a James II or William III military musket.
CIMG1776.jpg
CIMG1775.jpg
CIMG1773.jpg
CIMG1771.jpg
CIMG1777.jpg

Apologies for the quality. My camera is playing up and has to be banged on the desk to make it submit.

Nice work to the builder!

Yes, am also curious, have never seen a flip up pan either, nor a banana shaped matchlock lockplate for that matter. Would love to see the original!

That angled notch at the forwardmost part of the pan is how the pan on my original snaphaunce lock is affixed, but that doesn’t pivot either.

Typically the pan was dovetailed to the barrel and wasn’t part of the lockplate. Any reason why you did it this way? Trying to learn ...

William III Pattern (about 1690) - .77 bore x 45.5 in. brl x 60.25 OAL.jpg
image254.jpg

The matchlock at the top is described on the Royal Armouries website as a William III matchlock (about 1690) with a .77 bore x 46 in. barrel x 60-1/4" overall length.

The flashpan on the William III matchlock is attached to the lock plate, not dovetailed into the barrel. I suspect the pan is rotating because the slot in the lock plate is too big. The pan should hook into the angled portion of the lock plate and pivot tightly into the slot and screwed tightly. From the polish of the plate it looks like an current Indian copy or something similar from this site: http://mksikligar.com/index.php/guns-locks/

I have a few more photos of this pattern matchlock and many of the lockplates have a distinctive banana shape to them & others appear straight.
Matchlock  musket - Service type (1690)(1).jpg

Mike

Last edited:
It is indeed an Indian made lock. For $60 delivered it hardly seemed worth making my own. The lock will go with a flint lock on the same size lock plate and be interchangeable. Matchlocks of this period were often updated by swapping locks over, the pan being part of the lock and not the barrel. The pan is not designed to swivel but to remain in place when the screw is tightened fully to fix it into the fore end notch. It is a manufacturing feature letting one make the pan, complete with cover and fence, separately and then fit to the lock plate. No lock nail holes are made as yet. The end product will be much as Mike has posted above and the stock painted black as was normal then. These things eat powder at 7.5 grams per bang. I get only 65 bangs from a 500g bottle which makes powder just over 0.50 euros a bang with postage.

Hi Yulzari

1690 would make it a late period matchlock. Most interesting tilt-pan assembly. Where did you order the lock from ?

Rick

Rick.
http://mksikligar.com/index.php/guns-locks/ item: MKS-GL-01
I bought mine before the recent change to their website which is a mess now. It was $60 IIRC delivered to your door from India all sewn up in a strong neat parcel. They had been calling it a 'snap matchlock' which of course it is not. But it is a good example of a late 17th century military musket lock and at least as well made as a service lock of the day.

Still need to stumble over a suitable barrel Richard. My Indian quasi smooth bore P1853 is too small and the only other I have in hand is a lovely double pair fine twist 16 bore orphan barrels for which I can find no use. Off to Poitiers antique arms fair on the 24th. Maybe I will trip over something useful. The lock will be knocked back and I will etch a 'J2R' or 'WR' suitably designed on it. An 'AR' would be at the extreme end of the age range. My local woodyard normally has walnut and fruit woods seasoning so that is easy and cheap. The pear is a delight to work and the period black paint covers all sins. I wish the Indians would throw away their polishing wheels. They round things off something awful.

I might have a barrel John.
We can look when you're over in't summer. :)

I can't get any shop time myself. Stuff keeps getting in the way!...and when it doesn't, I can't decide which project to do first!
A's up to me lugs in projects.....

Rick.
http://mksikligar.com/index.php/guns-locks/ item: MKS-GL-01
I bought mine before the recent change to their website which is a mess now. It was $60 IIRC delivered to your door from India all sewn up in a strong neat parcel. They had been calling it a 'snap matchlock' which of course it is not. But it is a good example of a late 17th century military musket lock and at least as well made as a service lock of the day.

Been shooting Indian made match lock muskets for years No problems .I have found them to be good and very serviceable they are infact quite authentic and hand made like originals the locks are excellent and authentic and durable.I own one made by John Buck good shooter crude lock fitted and changed out lock with indian Made lock much improved .I also own three other matchlock muskets all indian made english or european Fishtail muskets one from MVT in New Hampshire cost me at theTime around 500 bucks it has been excellent made in judapor india 42 inch octagonal to round 75 cal triggerlock very Accurate safe and reliable And authentic so impressed with it I bought one from Veteran arms these are made in India by Silikar sear bar 44 inch barrel love It shoots great very very rugged 75cal 600 bucks really love this musket They now go for 650$ How ever they are worth every penny .I liked this musket so much i bought another Siikar Identical From a new source Historical twist Canada same identical musket unvented not a problem for Me I have been licenced gun smith for almost 40 years 450$ vented it test fired it love it .There is a infomercial on the web payed for by certain Italian black powder gun maker and numerous poor remarks about Indian made muskets by so called experts most self proclaimed .I have been in this business a long time.I don't sell muskets I fix them.I have seen it all .Indian muskets are fine they are more authentic cost less and shoot good.I personally put an average of 20 lbs of powder though my Indian guns a year and as writing this I still have all fingers and both eyes

Last edited:
Middlesex village trading co N H has very good matchlocks both sear bar or tigger lock 75 cal. Fishtail with both have 42 inch barrels made in India these are the real deal have both versions love em .Mvtco they are ready to go around 690 bucks Then there is Veteran arms I have one of his It is fantastic my favorite it is full scale musket 44 inch barrel 75cal english fishtail sear bar wich is my preference These to are Indian made Sikilgar very impressive and solid as a Rock Veteran arms Vents them inspects them just like Mvtco but Veteran arms is much better in getting them to you in a reasonable time two weeks To a month Average Mvtco can take months some times 3 or 4 months .Veteran arms Matchlock is made by Sikilgar they sell them for 650 bucks they are worth every penny.

Interesting posts Not sure which is Yulzaries ? must use other name ? .Matchlocks seem to be finding favour & why not its all part of the' new way backwards' movement ! .Next it'le be Tippoo Sultan's Tiger inspired automatic pan cover locks . Yer!! bring it on ! Regards Rudyard

Back