• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New match replacing the Western National

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be interesting to see how things progress.

Arizona has 9 M/L clubs, California has 17 and Colorado has 4.

In the past Arizona has not supported the canceled shoot, California shooters has been dropping each year.

I have been to the WNS for nine years and have had a nice time.

I will need to do some soul searching before deciding to driving 1,000 miles for a first time event.

I am a pistol shooter and I need enough Aggs. to drive that far from Texas.

Bill has done a good job and Allen Ross has done as well.

Wish them well and thank them for their efforts and dedication.

Is this a FIRST shoot for this group, or something that is ongoing..???
I looked at the web page and from their verbage, e.g.:The AZWINS is held each February in Phoenix, Arizona at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility. (emphasis mine)
One gets the impression that the AZWIN is already being held in February each year. They don't say "will be held".
I'm interested in knowing more and would consider going if it's a good sized event, vendors, food service etc. Since this is going to be held on the grounds of a large Public shooting facility I'd also like a sense of confidence...that the muzzleloading/blackpowder events aren't going to be sharing range areas with non-participants shooting centerfire/smokeless firearms.
I'll keep this one in mind. A trip out West in February ain't all bad...:)

Lot's of unanswered questions thus far about the shoot.

February is only for (4 ) months away and not many details coming forth. This is going to be a first shoot for this non-NMLRA shoot.

Lot's of questions, will this be a "classified" shoot ranked on past NMLRA classifications or a come and compete all comers. In the past the western shooters have not supported the Phoenix shoot and unless it is classified, I doubt many are going to come,

In the past there was a lack of vendors, will there be more now?

From talking is September in Friendship, there was not many coming to Phoenix from East of the Mississippi..

Ok guys,
I've been attending the NMLRA Western nationals for over 30 years.
It used to be a bustling, busy, happy shoot with lots of vendors.
For the last 15 years, the NMLRA has threatened to cancel the event EVERY YEAR. This year they finally did it.
With that in mind, I don't understand all the hostility with the local people, ( the same ones who put on the shoot for the NMLRA) who,are trying to replace the cancelled shoot.
I thought we were all in the same sport..... a little encouragement would go a long way to help recruit participants.
Besides, the weather is a lot nicer here in Feb/Mar!

From my perspective, Is this, the NMLRA, a National organization or just a regional one? I know the shoot pays for itself. Isn’t the point to promote ML in the entire(including the western states) US? Or, is the goal of the national org to have a place in Indiana for the good old boys of Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky to hang out?

I totally disagree with the NMLRA’s Bored of directors(spelling is correct, btw) and I’ve decided since they can’t support this shoot, I’m unable to support the national organization with my yearly dues. Maybe at some point in the future, I’ll change my mind, but I doubt it. So if I can, I’ll try and support the guys in the west to continue the shoot, if possible.

Have dates been posted yet? Or, a point of contact established? Thx.

More information please ! I go to the Pacific , and the Rocky Mountains rendezvous ,so this Arizona thing might fit in nicely . Thx .

From my perspective, Is this, the NMLRA, a National organization or just a regional one? I know the shoot pays for itself. Isn’t the point to promote ML in the entire(including the western states) US? Or, is the goal of the national org to have a place in Indiana for the good old boys of Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky to hang out?

I totally disagree with the NMLRA’s Bored of directors(spelling is correct, btw) and I’ve decided since they can’t support this shoot, I’m unable to support the national organization with my yearly dues. Maybe at some point in the future, I’ll change my mind, but I doubt it. So if I can, I’ll try and support the guys in the west to continue the shoot, if possible.

Have dates been posted yet? Or, a point of contact established? Thx.

Jime444, you say you: "know the shoot pays for itself"
I'd like to see those numbers if you please. I'd like to see if the NMLRA has cancelled involvement with a Western event that was paying for itself and not being a drain on the organization's treasury as has been related to the membership.
Thank you.

Believe what you will, Don. Thats what was said at the end of the shoot this year by NMLRA management. The raffle made $5000 all by itself. In fact, we were told then that the shoot would be held in 2019. Low and behold, the Bored of Directors then voted to “pull out”. Many things could have been done to reduce costs and make a “profit” for the national org.
A better question would be, “how many Bored of Directors have been to the winter shoot?”

With respect, it’s not what I believe, it’s what the numbers show. I’d like to see the actual accounting that shows “ the shoot pays for itself “. We’ve all been told it’s an unsustainable drain on the association and if that’s not the case I’d like to know.
Since becoming a member of the NMLRA I have supported the concept of broadening the association’s reach in meaningful ways. It’s always kinda felt like a “ Tri-State” thing which isn’t in anyone’s best interest who wants our unique sport to grow.
I’m watching the announcements coming from the group who are holding the shoot in Arizona to see if it’s one I’d like to travel to from Florida.

I hope you can come, though, sometimes the weather can be a bit chilly in February. As for numbers, we’ve never seen them, either! I’m trying to contact some if the principals of the shoot and get the dates out. Though, I’m truly annoyed with the national organization as I have stated. There’s just way too many other options for me to spend my shooting $’s on. I, for one, won’t forget how this was done.

Here's the flyer! Let's not argue about who or why. Let's just support another way to promote our sport.
IMG_1104.JPG

Shoot is about 90 days away. Would be nice to see an event schedule and is it a classified shoot or not?

Are M/L shooters shooting on the same ranges as the public or will they have their own ranges reserved as in the past?

Thus far the western shooters are not showing much interest. Anyone from the west going?

Lots of unanswered questions so far and not many details.

Thanks to Estill Ator for letting us know and handing out flyers at our sporting clays shoot in October.
Missouri Black Powder Society

Been to the website and no usable info. Hard to plan or think about coming in two months without any real info.

I would love to see this be the biggest ML shoot in the USA but so far lack of info is not a good sign.

Fleener

"Been to the website and no usable info. Hard to plan or think about coming in two months without any real info.

I would love to see this be the biggest ML shoot in the USA but so far lack of info is not a good sign."

I check the website as well and concur. Thus far I have seen no interest from western shooters asking questions on various M/L sites about the proposed shoot.

If they are going to copy the canceled shoot, it seems it should not be hard to get a match schedule out.

Anyone here giving serious consideration into going?

Okay, the website was updated on 06 Jan with all the details of the shoot.

I checked the pistol matches, they appear the same as the previous shoots held by the NMLRA.

Will need to spend some time reading the rules and schedules.

So, is any one going?

fdf

I just attended the Western Independant National muzzleloading Shoot at the Ben Avery shooting complex in north Phoenix Az last week. The Ben Avery Range is truly a world-class shooting facility which, if you haven’t, you should visit. Registered shooters were up from previous years, approximately 140+. Six full days of shooting, offhand, bench, x-stick, pistol, long range, shotgun, primitive and archery, etc. Lots of new shooters and absolutely gorgeous weather in the 70’s for the entire shoot. Good growth in the mid-range (2-600 yard) target rifle events, as well. Several excellent scores shot, one was by Pat Reed from Alaska, 49x at 100 yds OH. It was a very relaxed and friendly match, more like the past “good old days” of muzzleloading shoots. The sponsors and volunteers made it a very successful event with very few hiccups or issues. A beautiful rifle, knife and shooting pouch were raffled off and like always, I didn’t win.

In my opinion, the NMLRA Directors and management has made a tremendous mistake in “walking away” from this shoot. It certainly will impact the national organization in terms of membership in the western region of the US.

Put it on your to-do list and don’t miss next years match in Phoenix!!!!!

What was the number of vendors and what type? Was food available? Was black powder available?

Back